Two Phone Numbers on One Phone w/Google - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Two Phone Numbers on One Phone w/Google

Situation: I'm getting into this new job I picked up and I'm starting to build a customer contact list. Before I begin getting too deep into this, I want to separate my personal contacts from my business contacts; members of my team, customers, etc. To do this, I've created a Google Hangouts phone number and received a phone number from Google to use on my phone.

Problem: Whenever someone calls my Google Hangouts number, both my built-in phone dialer and Google Hangouts Dialer open up and start ringing almost simultaneously. I've noticed that if my phone is locked, I can close the built-in dialer and then the Google Hangouts dialer will open shortly after, but the phone call will go straight to voicemail for the one who calls me. If my phone is unlocked for whatever reason, my phone dialer will still open first and almost immediately after the Google Hangouts dialer will open. I can close the built-in dialer and then use only the Google Hangouts dialer without issue and be on the call.

Desired solution: I'd like that for whenever anyone calls me on my Google provided number, that ONLY my Google Hangouts dialer be the one that rings instead of both REGARDLESS if my phone is locked or unlocked. Is there a way to make this work?

'97 Bird, "Pearl": L/R 2.5in Magnaflow Hi-Flow CATs | PI Intake & PI Cams | Suspension Rebuild

'13 Taurus, "The Bull": 3.5L Goodness

'00 2dr v6 Accord, "Dirty Girl": Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | Greddy SP2 CAT-Back | Eibach ProKit springs | Eibach F/R Sway Bars | KYB-GR2 struts
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 06:45 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Pull up Google Voice, the settings for what incoming calls do should be in there. You can have it go to a mobile device, or not. But it will always ring in hangouts to my knowledge. So if I read you right, just tell it in settings to no longer redirect to your mobile number, just your hangouts number.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 155k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
96 Ivory Mark VIII 233k, stock 4.6 32v on coils; New engine at 185k
Gone but not forgotten: 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Google Voice has been integrated into Google Hangouts.

No such setting exists in Google Hangouts. There is a setting in there to turn off Incoming Phone Calls, which I just literally tested, and it forces the caller to say, "State your name and Google Voice will try and connect you". Afterwards, when I receive the phone call, I have to press 1 to accept the call from my phone's built-in dialer!

Not sure if that's the solution I want, but it's a solution that might work.

'97 Bird, "Pearl": L/R 2.5in Magnaflow Hi-Flow CATs | PI Intake & PI Cams | Suspension Rebuild

'13 Taurus, "The Bull": 3.5L Goodness

'00 2dr v6 Accord, "Dirty Girl": Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | Greddy SP2 CAT-Back | Eibach ProKit springs | Eibach F/R Sway Bars | KYB-GR2 struts
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 10:10 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Very interesting. I wonder if they're not letting people sign up for Voice and are simply carrying service for those who have been grandfathered in. I've had my Google Voice number for close to 5 years now.

I have all those settings still...

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 155k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
96 Ivory Mark VIII 233k, stock 4.6 32v on coils; New engine at 185k
Gone but not forgotten: 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.