Eclipse Party - August 21, 2017 - Page 2 - TCCoA Forums

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Tracking the sun really isn't necessary using a DSLR. Just choose a wide enough field of view, fix the focus, find the exposure and shoot away.

Granted, I haven't tried this for an eclipse. I've got some homework to do too.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto.
post #32 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 03:39 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
With the right combination of angle, alignment, field of view and such... we should have no trouble making a time lapse that looks just like this.

I'm familiar with Canon PowerShot type stuff, so I was looking at possibly a Rebel 6i kit with an 18-55mm and a 75-300mm lens. Important to me are minimal noise against a black sky with high ISO over long exposures, since I would want to be able to do some nighttime deep sky imaging as well.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 156k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
96 Ivory Mark VIII 235k, stock 4.6 32v on coils; New engine at 185k
Gone but not forgotten: 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #33 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Super Moderator

Garage
I have a Canon 60D with the kit lens (18-135) and a Sigma 10-20 wide angle. I've been using the Sigma for most everything since I bought it.

The Sony's are the top of the line now. Their sensors are amazing. You won't need high ISO for the eclipse, quite the opposite. But yea, for astro-photography it's best to layer shots. I haven't done much night shooting. There's just too much light pollution around were I live.

I did get some nice shots of the moon a few years ago with a rented 100-400mm lens. They're in the "Moon Thread" I'll look it up and link back here.

Found it. Damn! I can't believe it was 2012 where does the time go?!!! Actually it was in the post a pic you took today thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post
The moon from my front porch shot two minutes ago. With the Canon 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS lens. Just a bit of atmospheric distortion but not bad.

I was hoping to use this lens to shoot pictures and video of summer blast but now I've got to find other things to take pictures of ...

Anyway, I gave a symbolic wink for the Armstrong family.

http://cosmiclog.nbcnews.com/_news/2...ve-a-wink?lite

Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto.

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 05-09-2017 at 06:17 PM.
post #34 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 06:45 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowez View Post
Yeah Mike there might be a good spot North of Gallagher Bridge just have to climb the fence and ignore the signs
You would get to see Yourself glow when the Sun goes out, lol.

Ron, Brandon; a cool thing to try when you're learning to take solar pix without damage is the Solar Lemniscate, or Analemma

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

I'm not Human enough to be human; but I'm trying to fit in, and I'm learning to fake it.

"Never said Hibbity..." - Brian Williams

Last edited by Grog6; 05-09-2017 at 06:54 PM.
post #35 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 03:04 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
I used this setup today to familiarize myself with the scope itself, and to do a 'test run' of tracking the sun (Yes, that's the 8" solar filter for my other telescope; the 5" one that fits this model hasn't showed up yet and I'm impatient. )

Results... are poor.

The equatorial mount is very crude; it would take a lot of trial-and-error to get it properly angled to the viewing latitude, also factoring in a non-level mounting surface. Even though I know my coordinates, the mount was at least 3-4 degrees off (and I didn't spend a lot of time really dialing it in) from what the gauge indicated.

Mount issues aside (enough time could fix that), the scope's tracking motors don't track at the proper speed. The scope moves a little too fast, so without manually telling it to "stop" for a few seconds every minute or so, the object of interest will track right out of the field of view. Furthermore, the tracking/slewing motion isn't perfectly fluid. The tracking motor actuates maybe 8-10 times per second, and there's a pulsating evident in the viewfinder. Fortunately with sun exposure times, image blurring would be a non-issue, but even if the tracking rate was correct the image would appear to "shiver" in a time lapse without manual correction.

With enough patience I could theoretically manually align each frame of a time-lapse to correct for these motion disparities, but for a 30 minute event with a frame shot every 2 seconds, and with playback at 30 FPS, that's 900 frames to align...

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 156k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant

Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

Last edited by theterminator93; 05-10-2017 at 08:30 PM. Reason: embed video
post #36 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 05:19 PM

The computer should have different tracking speeds; should be in a settings menu.

Setting the time and date is important to some of them, too.

Time to read the manual, lol. EDIT: It's in there.

"Sidereal", Lunar and Solar should be available; are all different, slightly.

"Sidereal" is the stellar motion of the sky, Lunar and Solar should be obvious.

Usually, you level the tripod by varying the legs; I used to bed 12" paving stones on garbage bags of sand, and level them up by varying the sand, that works pretty well.

A weight draped across the telescope at the balance point will damp the vibrations out.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

I'm not Human enough to be human; but I'm trying to fit in, and I'm learning to fake it.

Last edited by Grog6; 05-10-2017 at 05:27 PM.
post #37 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 05:55 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Hmmm. I didn't think about time/date. I'll try that next time. As far as a weight, hmmmm... I wonder what I can use and where I can attach it to this thing.

I did try all four rates in the computer though; sidereal, solar, lunar and king.

-Brandon

post #38 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theterminator93 View Post
Hmmm. I didn't think about time/date. I'll try that next time. As far as a weight, hmmmm... I wonder what I can use and where I can attach it to this thing.

I did try all four rates in the computer though; sidereal, solar, lunar and king.
There's a line-up procedure where you align it to celestial north; that's hard to do during the day...

A GPS might help.

The wedge needs to be aligned just so, iirc; seems like it varies by date, due to the tilt varying during the year.

post #39 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Super Moderator

Garage
First off I want to say - Nice telescope! Interesting how you mounted your phone camera over the viewfinder.

No need to manually align each image, image stabilization software can make image alignment a breeze. Having said that, I've had mixed results with what I have. Adobe Premiere has a better system than the Sony Vegas plugins that I have.

I've been considering upgrading to Adobe Premiere later this year. So I could use its stabilizer. It's just going to be another learning curve.

Image to video De-flickering can be done in some other software that I have. Of course, results vary by how good or bad what you're starting with is.

Here's my best timelapse for an example of what I can do. This is a sunset to night transition which is very difficult to achieve. To shoot it is know as the "Holy Grail" of time-lapse. The software to do this has improved tremendously over the years.

I even rendered this one out in 4K if you're so inclined to kick the resolution up that high. This is at a shot every two seconds for about three hours condensed into a 2 min. video. I think there were like 1,400 images in this sequence. ... and some people give me shit about spending over 1K$ on my graphics card - Yea you can have better for less now but at the time it was worth the investment.

post #40 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 08:28 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Hm. I have Adobe CS6 which includes Premiere. I'm not very familiar with it though. I bet having the exposure set properly (does it auto-adjust as time goes on?) for those long transitions is tricky...

4K? Sheesh... I'll need a 4K monitor first.

I'll do some finagling with trying to get the EQ alignment on the scope dialed in better. I read a few ways to do it during the day which I may try, otherwise I might just align it at night and mark the ground... or something. I really need someone who has more experience to school me, I'm just learning as I go (as always).

That scope is one my aunt gave me recently since she has the 12" big brother of that one. The mount leaves a lot to be desired (no way to make minute adjustments) but it's a fair enough way to learn the concepts of an equatorial mount. It makes me want a "real" mount though. The other scope I have is an 8" Dobsonian mount. No good for astrophotography, but inexpensive and easy to learn the basics on.

In the end though just being able to witness it live will be enough. Any videos or photos I bring back are a bonus. Remember, another one of these passes over my place in a few more years too.

Edit: I should do what this guy did... http://www.astronomyforum.net/celest...tment-bar.html

-Brandon

Last edited by theterminator93; 05-10-2017 at 08:46 PM.
post #41 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Super Moderator

Garage
There's an alignment tutorial using Premiere on YouTube. I'll post a link later. I've got to get to bed. I've been up since 2:30 (AM not PM ) this morning - I had a very early flight home today.

post #42 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Super Moderator

Garage
Try this tutorial on for size:

post #43 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 05:39 PM

One of the reasons I never bought a 'good scope' was waiting on the better hardware and software to happen.

I still am of the opinion I'm gonna have to build something to be happy.

Dobsonian scopes are great, and cheaper to make; but ones good for astrophotography are really long.

Higher f numbers are better for detail photography; bright, close stuff will be fine at f4.5, but the depth of field can be poor.

Orion Nebula looks completely different at f4.5 vs f12; check it out.

(perky Marketing Guy voice here)

Let's do a project to build Scope mounts out of damaged MN12 knuckles; new bearings would be perfect as pivot bearings.

If we build a controller to do the tracking, we could use flexplates for the big gear, and modified starter gears for the drive. You would have to mod the drive gears to remove play; or use two flexplates.

A Raspberry Pi could do this easily.

There would be considerable position error in the gears; but, if we put an encoder on it, and measure all that, we can correct for it in programming. Spin it 10,000 times while recording the position, correct for that, and it would be pretty close.

Each one would be unique, lol.

Something that size could move a big scope...

post #44 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 06:49 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Let's narrow down the meeting arrangements and details first.

-Brandon

post #45 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 07:54 PM

Heard that.

This weekend my sis opens the pool; Call me Kato... I am the pool boy. (no one probably gets that now...)

I'm going to get the river area mowed, and see from there.

post #46 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Super Moderator

Garage
LOL ... ok Kato. Yea, I get the reference.

You have to be of a certain vintage to get it and I was around for that harvest. ... no pun intended.

I am certainly interested in the details of solar photography. I don't have the filters needed to do that kind of work though. I'll leave it to you guys to work out ... sounds like you've got a good grasp on what it would take.

post #47 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 08:20 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
I've taken a bunch of afocal pics before on this and my other telescope but getting the knack of these computerized, motorized telescopes is a whole 'nother ballgame compared to the simple scopes and mounts I've worked with up until now. The astronomy learning curve just got steeper, and the photography curve added to that at the same time... seems a bit overwhelming. It took me a few days to digest the concept of an equatorial mount, lol.

One thing at a time, and right now, it seems like I need to play more with the telescope first.

What are the chances we get rained out, or blocked in with overcast?

-Brandon

post #48 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theterminator93 View Post
What are the chances we get rained out, or blocked in with overcast?
This is the biggest problem; August in TN is usually hot, with popup storms.

The sad truth is that we wont know until ~3 days beforehand.

If there are problems, we can likely drive out of it in advance.

post #49 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 09:41 AM
6th Gear Poster

Tim, our families and I will be in the area for the eclipse. We got a cabin in Pigeon Forge. So if you guys figure out a good viewing location we will prolly meet you there.

1995 SC------------------1994 SC----------------1993 LX
Black----------------------Red----------------------Grey
3.8-------------------------3.8w/bent rod---------5.0
4R70W--------------------M5R2--------------------AOD
2.4 AR in works---------2.0 Auto Rotor---------N/A
24psi----------------------15+----------------------none yet
450RWHP----------------300RWHP est.---------who knows/who cares
10.740@127------------13.842@103.08-------16.1@
post #50 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Super Moderator

Garage
Great Chris. Hope to see you guys there.

post #51 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 04:01 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Uncle Sam may have just told me I'm not going... Federal Jury Summons for July/August.

If all else fails get a bigger hammer!

93 SC Tbird
MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 40# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip (Tuned by Jerry),3/4" Raised Top, F52-TT TC, SilverFox AOD 550, SPT-R VB
96 1/2 XR7 Sold and Salvaged
93 5.0 Tbird
post #52 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 04:18 PM
4th Gear Poster

Garage
Oo- Federal- That could be fun

1995 T-Bird. PI 4.6. Bullitt intake. Big MHS cams. 4,200 Dirty Dogg converter. Kooks headers. Full exhaust. 4" Drive Shaft. 4:10s.
Waiting on a tune.

1997 Lincoln Mark VIII FX2 Sand Dune Machine.

1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC- stock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.