post #151 of 659 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 07:37 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

You're a mess, Matt.

So how did your A/C work out?

~Rick
TCCoA Sig
post #152 of 659 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 09:23 AM
Kind of slapped together

Matt - I THINK those are Multimate connectors - http://www.digikey.com/catalog/en/pa...i-series/11379 .

RwP
post #153 of 659 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Nope, that's not them, the terminal end is horizontal on these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetKeym View Post
You're a mess, Matt.

So how did your A/C work out?
It didn't lol

I've got literally every bit and piece ready to install but it's been like 50-60 degrees out since freaking mid September and subsequently my motivation is at zero .

-Matt
post #154 of 659 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 09:32 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
It didn't lol

I've got literally every bit and piece ready to install but it's been like 50-60 degrees out since freaking mid September and subsequently my motivation is at zero .
I totally relate!

I lived in Maine for years, now I live in Florida and barely get motivated most of the time!

~Rick
TCCoA Sig
post #155 of 659 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 04:32 AM Thread Starter
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Phase II

Finished the driver side.

Expanded further on my terminal recycling. This time I ground the crimps off, wrapped a single strand around the terminal/new wire and solder the whole thing together. Super strong and simple...

Started with this mess:

Ended with this:

-Matt
post #156 of 659 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 07:15 AM
̇

Garage
I applaud the tedious work you put into this project..

Did you shorten all those wires and repin every harness??..OMG!

What tool do you typically use when you repin a harness?

I'm seeing different shades of Silver and Gray in your Interior..As anal as you are about that sort of thing..That surprises me..

IMO the Door Handle Trim & Door Handles look better in "Black"..I think it just flows better coming off the Dash into the Door Handle Trim in that way...

You probably planned on painting a bunch of those Interior parts anyway though huh?..lol

*still in my top ten MN12 builds..lol

Rayo..

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there."George Harrison
post #157 of 659 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 10:13 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Looks great! I'm surprised you didn't use the new style window switches mandated by law; the ones you have to pull for the window to go up and push for down! lol

~Rick
TCCoA Sig
post #158 of 659 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 11:08 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Ugh, I hate those. They confuse me every time I use them, lol...

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 156k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
96 Ivory Mark VIII 235k, stock 4.6 32v on coils; New engine at 185k
Gone but not forgotten: 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #159 of 659 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 12:05 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by theterminator93 View Post
Ugh, I hate those. They confuse me every time I use them, lol...
Ummm.....

~Rick
TCCoA Sig
post #160 of 659 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayo View Post
I applaud the tedious work you put into this project..

Did you shorten all those wires and repin every harness??..OMG!

What tool do you typically use when you repin a harness?

I'm seeing different shades of Silver and Gray in your Interior..As anal as you are about that sort of thing..That surprises me..

IMO the Door Handle Trim & Door Handles look better in "Black"..I think it just flows better coming off the Dash into the Door Handle Trim in that way...

You probably planned on painting a bunch of those Interior parts anyway though huh?..lol

*still in my top ten MN12 builds..lol

Rayo..
The door panels and dash are different shades from each other, but that's the same way stock 96/7s are. I swapped to the 96 color to better match the 91 seats, so it was an anal move regardless .

The door handles I smoothed out and painted silver to modernize them a bit, and I like them waaaaay better than the fading textured black they were.

Planning on "painting" the interior parts though? No, not exactly...

I'm thinking hand stitched leather

Quote:
Looks great! I'm surprised you didn't use the new style window switches mandated by law; the ones you have to pull for the window to go up and push for down! lol

http://www.lulusoso.com/upload/20120...agen_POLO_.jpg
Those are really mandated now? ugh...

The only thing I like about them is the drawing of the window, it would match the drawing of the locks lol

-Matt
post #161 of 659 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 04:02 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:

http://www.lulusoso.com/upload/20120...agen_POLO_.jpg
Those suck!

Ford did it right with the Tbird switches.

To attempt to switch to anything else would just ruin the look of the doors.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto.
post #162 of 659 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
My switches are something else, I love how they look lol

Although the DEWBirds use the same ALPS switches as mine too

-Matt
post #163 of 659 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
DSC01298

DSC01301

DSC01303

DSC01300

DSC01299

Oh yeah

-Matt
post #164 of 659 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 10:29 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

The switches look GREAT!! I might just have to follow in your footsteps on this one, I don't mind the stock bird switches, I just can't stand the fact that they do not unplug....well, not the way they "should"

AS for the door panel...you're crazy!! I've never seen anybody dig that far into them, but I do have a few questions...
Does the handle just unbolt?
Does the lower section that has carpet and the light just unbolt?
How did you remove the existing vinyl covering that I see laying next to the door panel
What is the door panel made out of once the vinyl covering is removed?

I say go for the leather covering, do the dash to match too!!

Also, new 4v for the bird...jelous...deal of the century! did you pull it home behind a taurus sho?

2015 Mustang GT Premium / Manual / 3.55 / Recaro
post #165 of 659 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Thanks Earl! I like the "quick release" nature of them more than the screw on plate connectors the stock ones too

Yeah I enlisted the much appreciated assistance of Chris(platoribs) to tow it from the yard on his track modded, hitch equipped SHO today. I don't think I've seen more bewildered stares on the road in my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl View Post

Does the handle just unbolt?
Yep, 3 phillips screws and 3 nuts on the back. They're hidden behind foam filler.
Quote:
Does the lower section that has carpet and the light just unbolt?
It has several melted plastic tabs to keep it in place on the main panel. You either have to melt them or grind/cut the melted portions off, I chose the latter.

Quote:
How did you remove the existing vinyl covering that I see laying next to the door panel
Liberal use of a heat gun in the really tight areas and patience. I basically peeled it all back by hand. Tip: wear thick but grippy mechanics gloves, my fingers hurt for a day on the one I didn't.

Quote:
What is the door panel made out of once the vinyl covering is removed?
The panel is made out of molded plastic, might be a nylon material. There's actually a padding layer under the vinyl that is still attached. I plan on keeping it since it was completely undamaged removing the vinyl.

Quote:
I say go for the leather covering, do the dash to match too!!
A higher quality vinyl is the goal, leather is a wee bit too rich for my blood and a bigger pain to deal with. It'll take at least 2 full cows to cover everything lol The dash as well as the plastics like the console will be wrapped to match.

-Matt
post #166 of 659 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 11:13 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Thanks for the info...where do you think you can get the "higher quality" vinyl? Also, how do you plan on attaching it?

2015 Mustang GT Premium / Manual / 3.55 / Recaro
post #167 of 659 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
There's a few how tos on doing it. RalphP sent me this one and it looks pretty good, material and all

I would do it out of the car though.

-Matt
post #168 of 659 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 12:19 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
I look forward to finding out once and for all whether or not the mach1/cobra c head intake will clear the stock hood. It's been on my mind for awhile.

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
post #169 of 659 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Me too lol

-Matt
post #170 of 659 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 06:53 AM
̇

Garage
Nice score on the Engine!

I can just hear your mom now..."Oh great..Matt's bringing home more junk!"..lol ..jk

Tearing that Engine down to rebuild it should make for a fun Winter Project!

Enjoy!

Rayo..

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there."George Harrison
post #171 of 659 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 07:29 AM
Kind of slapped together

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl View Post
Thanks for the info...where do you think you can get the "higher quality" vinyl? Also, how do you plan on attaching it?
I've been checking several possible sources.

One that has some interesting samples available is http://www.yourautotrim.com . Especially the Allegro line - it seems to match the factory graining and patterning very well.

A high quality marine grade vinyl would do almost anywhere, though.

I'm still stumped on a source for the polyethelyne foam to rebuild the dash, though - so I may just use silicone to fill the cracks. Or Eastwood's expanding foam sealant for dashboard repair. Or the barely-expanding Great Stuff. Not sure yet.

RwP
post #172 of 659 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Still gathering pieces for the 4V but have kept fairly busy getting ready what I can.

Picked up a EGR tube, valley coolant tube and crack pipe, all of which NOS, as well as the Mark VIII/Cobra style coolant crossover and alternator bracket a from miller1995 yesterday(thanks again!). With this stuff I might actually be able to get the motor in the car by years end, maybe... probably optimistic on that lol.

Also started working on an intake tube arrangement since the Cobra ones fit this chassis weirdly at best.

It turns out that if I cut the 45* bend off the airbox end of a Gen II Mark VIII intake tube it fits over a 90mm Lightning MAF housing nicely...

And since I have the intake top off, I figured I'd start stripping the ugly grey coating off of it.

From what I've seen, these intakes are bare cast aluminum from the factory, although I don't know why someone would paint it dark grey after the fact in such an apparently thorough manner I just know, I don't like it, so it's coming off lol

More to come soon. I'll likely open up the longblock next weekend or possibly during the week if I can. From there I can start assessing how much further I should go with it (if it has as low of miles as I've been told, I might just skip doing rings and bearings as long as I don't see any obvious signs telling me otherwise).

-Matt

Last edited by XR7-4.6; 11-12-2012 at 01:35 AM.
post #173 of 659 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 05:57 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
So what are the plans - are you modifying your stock harness (again) or using the 4v engine harness? Keeping COP?

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 156k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant

Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #174 of 659 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Nope, I'm building the new harness from scratch, or at least in-line splice free using the bulk of good wires and long pigtails I have. This time all the soldering will be done at the connector terminals as I previewed with the ALPS switch install .

Definitely staying COP. Plug wires are dead to me after my Motorcraft lemons, and I can't use POWERED BY SVT coil covers with plug wires

-Matt
post #175 of 659 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 03:36 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
I'll be damned if you beat me, lol.
post #176 of 659 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 03:57 PM
4th Gear Poster

lol he just might

He may. hes got quite the busy op and a warm workshop to work in. do you paint down there matt? anyhow, good score on the motor. At least you'll be able to do something with a desirable block and tumble ports. Barring really bad winter weather here in chicago it wouldnt surprise me. matt knows the buisness. and if you need help matt im only one town over. just ask me if u need my hoist or whatever. time to work.

Oh yeah and even though they had what you want i still give them no credit. they deserve nothing. much less your money or a hot engine in a wrecked mark. A local buisness should be cool with or good to their custys and not be pieces of #$!@# just cuz they got the best wrecks. id gladly go further to pick n pull and pay admission if they somehow could get the same cars. im gonna get a powerball ticket i guess. so when i buy the place i can fire each employee myself one at a time.

'96 LX tbird. VFN cowl hood, UD pullies, CAI, 75mm t-body, SC performance upper intake elbow, 2.5 in mandrel bent dual exhaust x-pipe, SC halfshafts, Mark VIII driveshaft, alum LCAs. Built 4r70w with swapped machined/hardened case, interceptor internals, heavy duty clutches/steels, shift kit, modded valvebody and mn12 performance seperator plate, SCT3 Flash tuned, '90 SC black n grey tweed interior. SOON : 97 teksid upgrade, built mark viii 8.8 3.90 gear and Detroit locker. Also weight reduction this winter/ rust repair/ fixing sunroof leak. Body WILL be pretty again Future: complete interior overhaul - dash replacement and new custom interior. Best 1/4 e.t. : 14.52 on mickey drags. RIP my nephew Ethan. We miss you so much!

Last edited by n20powaracr; 11-27-2012 at 04:09 PM.
post #177 of 659 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 09:54 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Okay Matt, three month update...

Do tell all...

-Brandon

post #178 of 659 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Well you asked, so here it is...

This is the big update!!!!

No progress.

-Matt
post #179 of 659 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 03:30 PM
PostSlut

badass!!!!

looks like you've got more done than i have....

Nick......................I'm back!!!
May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #180 of 659 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 07:21 PM
PostWhore

Looking good so far!

-=James
1995 Ford Thunderbird V8
SCT Tuned by Amercian Motorsport, Mustang PBR, FRPP 3.73 gears, Modified Trak-Lok, Steeda UDP, K&N Panel, 1990 SC Seats, 2.5" Single Exhaust/Magnaflow Hi-Flow Cats, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S +, Windstar wheels, RichardM Intake, Kenwood KDC-HD552U HD Radio, 2800 stall DirtyDog Marauder TC, J-MOD, 2002 Grand Marquis transmission, DynoTech Driveshaft, AeroForce Interceptor Scan Gauge, Griffin Super High Capacity Radiator, 180* Thermostat, Cobra steering wheel, 6000K HID, Clear Corners Getting a makeover Spring 2015

http://www.fordthunderbird.net - For Pics and more!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.