The T-bird visits its birthplace: Back to Lorain - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
The T-bird visits its birthplace: Back to Lorain

Called up the manager of the former Lorain plant after work today and got his permission to drive around the grounds to take some pictures.

I'll start with a panoramic photo of the front of the plant taken from in front of the main entrance. Click the thumbnail for a larger resolution... not for the faint at heart; the plant's over 1/2 mile long!

The rest of these are scaled to 800 wide. Click for 1024 wide... or if you've got your heart set on full res, PM me.

I don't know for certain, of course, but it looked like this door may have been the "end of the line" where freshly assembled vehicles would emerge from.

Here we have the loading ramps where cars to be shipped via rail were loaded onto boxcars. Chances are your car drove up one of these ramps and departed on these rails...

At the back of the plant we have lots of loading docks where countless parts and sub-assemblies would have been unloaded.

The main entrance.

One of the pump houses.

All that's left of 1,500,000 square feet of the plant's center section, which was demolished because it had fallen into such a state of disrepair it was deemed beyond renovation.

After nearly ten years of neglect, this is what the parking lots mostly look like now. Hard to believe this lot was once full of cars waiting to be sent around the country - or world.

Here would have been a pair of completed vehicles for the then current production model year on display for the passers-by on Baumhart Road to admire. Now just an advertisement.

Meaningless signs reminiscent of a bygone era...

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 156k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
96 Ivory Mark VIII 235k, stock 4.6 32v on coils; New engine at 185k
Gone but not forgotten: 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

Last edited by theterminator93; 05-01-2013 at 08:27 PM.
post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 08:06 PM
PostWhore

Big thanks for posting this.

(did you rescue the signs in the last Pic?)

Maic.

My idea of "help from above"... Is a sniper on the Roof
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 08:40 PM
PostWhore

^ lol
Cool pics! Your a lucky guy to go do all that

1995 Tbird ~ 02 explorer SVO 4.6 Sold
1986 built/restored notch body mustang ~ appears as a 91+ built 5.0 gt40p, Ud pullies, ss headers, msd everything, arp head bolts, 1.7 crane roller rockers, B303 cam, Holley carb, high rise intake,5 speed, steeda everything. Sold
2001 GT BULLITT #00762 stock
2000 GT ~ 310 rwhp on mustang dyno. 08 2v, super low miles, comp 262 cams, bbk ud pullies, ported bullitt intake/accufab TB, 24# injectors, dyno tuned, 3inch pypes catless x pipe system, cobra brakes, coated cross & drilled rotors, Cobra r hood, 99-01 cobra front bumper, & 01-04 side scoops, dropped
2003 z71 avalanche fully loaded
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 08:43 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Wow. Yea, Big thanks for posting these pictures.

I was thinking the same thing. I bet there's some souvenirs to be had around there somewhere.

How is it you happen to know the manager of the old plant well enough to just call him up and ask permission to poke around?

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 08:45 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
I would have been sooooooo tempted to drive onto one of those ramps

Great pics of a great plant!

-Matt
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 09:24 PM
Lightly Seasoned

Garage
Thanks for the great pictures Brandon, its great to see our cars Birthplace
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 09:29 PM
Seasoned Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Shumard View Post
Thanks for the great pictures Brandon, its great to see our cars Birthplace
As well these are keepers , Saved Thank you Brandon.

2017 Mustang GT Base/ Making my own premium
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 09:33 PM
PostWhore

Awesome photos. Your Thunderbird looks fantastic. Can't think of a better representative.
Great idea. Thanks for posting.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 10:12 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Very cool!

~Rick
TCCoA Sig
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAIC View Post
(did you rescue the signs in the last Pic?)
Nah, I left them where they were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post
I was thinking the same thing. I bet there's some souvenirs to be had around there somewhere.
Very possibly there's something inside one of the buildings that got overlooked when the place was emptied and sold. There are a few warehousing companies that have taken residence in the buildings now; there were lots and lots of semi trailers arranged throughout the grounds. Unfortunately I don't think there'd be any way to get permission to go inside and snoop around - when I was there I was expressly forbidden from entering any of the structures (be it for concerns of privacy, theft, or saftey).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post
How is it you happen to know the manager of the old plant well enough to just call him up and ask permission to poke around?
I don't know if the guy I talked to used to manage the old plant or not, but I don't know him personally. When I went up there this past Saturday hoping to get photos, I stopped at the gate and talked to the guard on duty that day and asked for permission to take pictures. He wasn't authorized to answer me so he gave me the contact information for "the plant manager" while at the same time let me take a picture of the photo of the last T-bird on the line. At the time I believed "plant manager" simply to mean the guy in charge of the place who was appointed by the new owners of the complex. I don't know if he worked in any management capacity for Ford at the plant or even if he used to work on the lines at all. But it is possible; the security guard did say that a lot of the old line workers went on to work for the warehousing company that moved into the old plant.

I am however good friends with one of the former line workers who used to do work in the body shop and later exhaust work at the plant. After his honorable discharge from the Marine Corps he began working for Ford at the plant and took a company buyout before the plant shut down. I also am good friends with a current employee of the Avon Lake plant as well. I don't know exactly what his position is, but he works the night shift and monitors the welding robots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
I would have been sooooooo tempted to drive onto one of those ramps
Those concrete ramps at the front? Yeah, I thought about it too, but they looked a lot steeper in real life than they do in that picture. Plus with that big sign in the way... It would have been awesome to have a photo of my car up there though. "The last MN12 showcased at Lorain Assembly"

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback!

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 156k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant

Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 07:35 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Great pictures, makes me a little sad.

The only owner of this Black 97 T-bird, sport package, 4.6L, Tan leather, Moon roof, climate control, auto lights, spoiler.

88-XLT Full Size Bronco, 302, AOD, Elec 4WD, manual hubs
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 10:10 AM
PostWhore

Thanks for the pictures. It's cool to see the birth place but sad to see it in it's current state.

Jason H.
Mods:
Exterior- Paint, grill, trim, SHO wheels
Power train- 4.6 cat back w/ muffler delete 2"I.D. tips , Taylor Pro Series plug wires, intake silencer delete

Photographs http://s1175.photobucket.com/user/jh...?sort=4&page=1
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 03:12 PM
PostSlut

nice pics Brandon! cool you were able to go around the place.

Nick......................I'm back!!!
May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 05:53 PM
Veteran Poster

Nice, I'm jealous now. I am curious if we were able to get a group picture of most of the members rides together, and sent it to the big wigs at Ford. Could we inspire Ford to bring the bird and cougars back. Hmmmmmmm makes you wonder.

Phrum Steve

89 Thunderbird SC 3.8SC W/ Factory manual
http://photobucket.com/SCno1

94 Thunderbird LX 3.8 N/A Automatic
http://s1200.photobucket.com/albums/...Bird%20No%203/
sold, sadly

95 Thunderbird SC deal pending
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 05:55 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by renello79 View Post
Nice, I'm jealous now. I am curious if we were able to get a group picture of most of the members rides together, and sent it to the big wigs at Ford. Could we inspire Ford to bring the bird and cougars back. Hmmmmmmm makes you wonder.
That would be a lot of fun.

Jason H.
Mods:
Exterior- Paint, grill, trim, SHO wheels
Power train- 4.6 cat back w/ muffler delete 2"I.D. tips , Taylor Pro Series plug wires, intake silencer delete

Photographs http://s1175.photobucket.com/user/jh...?sort=4&page=1
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
I showed these pics to the carpenter who recently added onto the fiancee's house; he lives about 2 miles from the plant. His dad used to work at the plant as well and retired shortly before they killed the MN12. He also knows about half a dozen of the guys in the picture of the last car coming off the line. Apparently the door I thought was the end of the line where new cars emerged to the world is in fact such. Also apparently the center section had been in a state of disrepair for a lot longer than recently (before it was demolished). When his dad worked at the plant some 20 years ago, the workers were told not to walk on the roof on that area because they were afraid it might fall out under them. It also leaked a lot when it rained, apparently...

-Brandon

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 06:30 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I'm surprised looks to me to a lot smaller than the Hapeville plant (home of the original Taurus/Sable)

If all else fails get a bigger hammer!

93 SC Tbird
MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 40# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip (Tuned by Jerry),3/4" Raised Top, F52-TT TC, SilverFox AOD 550, SPT-R VB
96 1/2 XR7 Sold and Salvaged
93 5.0 Tbird
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 07:42 AM
1st Gear Poster

Thanks Brandon, very cool. I would have loved to join you and get some pics of my car there, too, but yours looks great there. Again, thanks for sharing!
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 04:50 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Garage
I've only just seen these from earlier in the year. Great pictures Brandon! Must've been really weird driving around there with it all deserted. Its amazing to think that my car came out of there in 1994, and is now sat in my garage over here in the UK.

At the end of July we had the closing of our local Ford factory in Southampton. They've made Transit vans there since 1972 and were a big employer in the area. It marked the end of Ford making cars in the UK. I think they only make engines and components over here now. A sad day indeed.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...roduction.html

"...put me on a highway, show me a sign, and take it to the limit one more time"

The Eagles

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2149821

RIP Dutch T-Bird (Robert Hendriks) 1970-2012 No doubt looking down on us from his low-riding T-Bird in the sky.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 08:04 PM
1st Gear Poster

Thank you for showing us a little history of the birthplace of these beautiful cars. I really like those pictures especially the ones showing your car. Again thanks.

PBR Brakes swap
Silvania Silver Star Ultra
Grand Marquis Head lights swap
MTX Amplifier
Kenwood CD/MP3 Bluetooth deck
Infinity Speaker's front & rear
Infinity Subwoofer
Viper Alarm System
K&N Air Filter Panel
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 09:30 PM
4th Gear Poster

I just found these pics, awesome. I grew up in Lorain and it's been a while side I've been out near the plant, I knew a lot of people and family that worked there and built our cars. Thanks for the pics.
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 12:25 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Drive XR7
Cool photos. I don't stop by tccoa very often but saw you are from Avon Lake. I grew up in Amherst, live in Strongsville now. I remember Lorain Assembly back in its hayday. They had a state-of-the-art paint shop. After they closed the plant and years later, Honda had a surplus of Civics and they used the old Lorain Assembly grounds to store the Civics until they could be sold. What a kick in the nuts.

From what I understand, Lorain is doing better... recently the steel plants rehired a bunch of people. This city is about as blue collar as it gets.

Great looking Bird... it's rare to see MN12s on the road anymore, let alone one in great shape.

Jason
2003 SVT Mustang Cobra #5364
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
1991 Mercury Cougar XR7 5.0L - SOLD!
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Flew over the plant last Sunday and had the brother in law snap a photo on my behalf...

-Brandon

post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 04:41 AM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
The car carriers are still there. I wonder if Ford owns them or are they storing them there?

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 06:36 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
I think they're all general freight cars. A bunch of distributors have moved into the old plant since they shut the plant down nearly 10 years ago. Possibly though, 6 or 7 years ago (after Ford sold the plant but before the new owners found new lessees) Honda was storing a ton of unsold vehicles there.

-Brandon

post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 01:36 PM
5th Gear Poster

Garage
We should have some type of meet up there with the ohio guys before a event like SuperFord Sunday or Ford Chevy Showdown day at Summit Raceway Park. Then have a MN12 Motorcade out there and waste some tires.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.