My new daily driver... - Page 2 - TCCoA Forums

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 07:07 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Garage
Looks good Brandon, can't wait to see it all finished.

"...put me on a highway, show me a sign, and take it to the limit one more time"

The Eagles

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2149821

RIP Dutch T-Bird (Robert Hendriks) 1970-2012 No doubt looking down on us from his low-riding T-Bird in the sky.
post #32 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 08:42 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
I understand for a DD that you don't want to get involved in R&I'ing the quarter glass and all the moldings, but at least have them pull the door handles out. That is an area that will be constantly touched, and with the rubber seal it will be impossible to mask it perfectly, so it will end up peeling around the handles eventually if you don't remove them, and they already have the interior trim out to get the mirrors off, so it is probably only another hour of labor to R&I both outer door handles.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90SC 5-speed, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, soon to be transplanted into...
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-70 Torino GT Fastback project car. Needs EFI and a manual trans, but I'm not sure what motor to go with yet.
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #33 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
I agree. I'll call and find out what his intentions are...

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 156k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
96 Ivory Mark VIII 235k, stock 4.6 32v on coils; New engine at 185k
Gone but not forgotten: 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #34 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Well... got myself a DD again.

He replaced all the metal up against the seams in both rockers (along with much of both rockers as well) along with some near the fuel filler door and the bottoms of both doors. He did a pretty good job blending the new paint through the areas between where he worked and the areas that didn't get paint. I'm content.

(yes, I did fix the hood lol)

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 156k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant

Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #35 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 09:20 PM
Lightly Seasoned

Garage
Looks really good Brandon, Should last you a good long time
post #36 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 06:43 AM
̇

Garage
I don't blame you for wanting to fix up your Mark..It is your DD afterall, even if that means you're going to continue to drive it in Winter on our salty azz roads..

Turned out pretty good..

Rayo..

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there."George Harrison
post #37 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Just means I get to spend $10 a week on a car wash when the roads get nasty.

At least this year's winter forecast is less harsh and less wet than the last couple years. We'll see...

-Brandon

post #38 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 07:39 AM
5th Gear Poster

Garage
Looks like a totally different car! Turned out very nice!

Having seen it in person before with the rust that was starting and now it's funny how a little rust can drag a otherwise good looking car down. The color is is cool but it didn't hide rust very well. Which is a way of saying a little work has really made the car striking again. It looks great and I can't wait to see it in person. I'm impressed.

Mr Ed did a nice job. If I didn't have a offer from a buddy that's willing to help me with my rockers for cheap. Probably close to free I'd be taking it to Ed too. I'm kinda lucky in that the DTR hides rust fairly well. And that I have very little rust other than the the actual rockers. If mine comes out half as good as the Mark I'll be happy. And if the rockers come out kind of lumpy I'll just hang some SC side skirts on it like you I'd like 4-5 years. I suspect I'll have to touch ups every other year or so.

Sometimes I feel it's almost like a calling to keep these MN12/FN10s on the road and rolling and looking good. It requires some dedication and will. I've always felt that this platform has something worth saving.

But well done! Visually it's a whole new car. Excellent!
post #39 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Well let's see, 15 month update?

Car turned over 230,000 miles this afternoon on the way back from work. That means 45,000 miles on the new engine since it went in back in 11/14... and over 57,000 miles since I bought it. Clocked 18500 miles in 2015, and 19000 in 2016 - and that's excluding the 3000-5000 miles I put on the T-bird every year. Aside from doing 3-4 oil changes every year (and being due for another transmission fluid change already!) it handles the miles very well. Really nothing has happened needing repair on the car in the last two years (except a sticky front caliper which was eating rotors).

The transmission from the father-in-law's T-bird still is cranky but it's otherwise fine, so I'll leave it in until worse symptoms develop, at which point I'll put the original one back (the first time I shift to D after the car's sat for a while it doesn't engage most of the time - I need to pull it back to 2 for a second then slide it in D, after which it's perfectly fine until it sits again - maybe a misaligned cable or mlps?). I figure this thing will see 300,000 miles before I retire it. In fact, that's my goal.

There's some bubbling at the very bottom corner of the driver's door - and above the LR wheel well (again, grrr.... ), but it's not bad. I found out that the drive shaft is slightly bowed near the transmission yoke - but I managed to score another one from the local pull-a-part on pure luck (the car's pumkin had already been pulled - and the cats were hacked off by the yard - so it was a cinch for me to lower the tank to pull the shaft) for a measly $20. Still need to get it checked out but I'll save that for springtime I think.

-Brandon

post #40 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 02:19 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Garage
Good to hear it's all working out ok Brandon. I wish I could have one of those as a DD, I've always liked the shape of those Lincolns. I'm assuming they do about the same mpg as the Birds?

"...put me on a highway, show me a sign, and take it to the limit one more time"

The Eagles

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

RIP Dutch T-Bird (Robert Hendriks) 1970-2012 No doubt looking down on us from his low-riding T-Bird in the sky.
post #41 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Yeah, pretty close to what the T-bird used to get before ... mods.

I average around 25 MPG (US) during the summer and 22 in the winter. Here's the car's fuelly: White Mark VIII (Lincoln Mark VIII) | Fuelly

-Brandon

post #42 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
GRRR I hate it when I work out a reply that takes 10 minutes to type, then the server times out when I try to post and I lose my response!!!

So anyway... a little update for the masses.

About 6 weeks ago I was out for a lunch meeting with the guys at work (a monthly thing we do now). I pulled into the restaurant's (tiny) parking lot and take the spot on the end, then walk in and sit down. A couple minutes later a co-worker shows and and sits next to me, then moments after this the waitress comes by and asks us if anyone has a "gold car". I responded "no, mine's kind of an off-white"... at which point the guy who sat next to me says "yeah, yours is kind of gold" and the waitress says "the folks over by the window there said they saw someone hit your car... they wrote down the license plate number". Only NOW did the guy next to me say "yeah, there's a big dent. A crease in the middle of the passenger door. I was wondering when that happened, I didn't remember there being a dent there before..."

According to the witnesses, apparently the dude backed out of his spot and into my passenger door ("both cars shook"), then circled the block a few times to check out the damages before visiting the bank across the street and driving off. I saw him as he was leaving the bank when they pointed out that it was the same guy.

So I called the local police to report the thing, and they drove around the area trying to find the dude (didn't) before checking in with me at the restaurant. I gave them the plate number and they pulled the info (matched the description by the witness, fortunately), then said they'd try to get the camera footage from the restaurant before tracking down the guy to cite him for leaving the scene. I called my insurance to give them the police report number and file a claim, then went on with life while waiting for news.

Fast forward to about three weeks ago - I get a call back from my insurance company asking what I wanted to do about the claim. I had heard nothing about the process since I filed the claim, so I was all sorts-of-happy to hear what information they had gathered. I tracked down the police report to get the information needed to file the claim after hearing that they had it, and after discussing options decided to try and file the insurance claim against the other party's policy.

To my surprise (and relief), he was insured - so I called the insurers up and started the claim. The police did find this dude - apparently some 18 year old kid who "didn't realize" he had hit me because his music was "really loud", but admitted fault. The adjuster who contacted me had a no-questions-asked attitude towards which body shop I wanted for the work; "get a quote and send it to me so I can get you paid before vacation". So, I took the car back to the same guy I've been using and sent his quote over... and a few days later a check for nearly $2400 arrived.

For the last week now the car has been at the shop getting massaged. The bonus is that the shop is going to take out the surface rust that was starting to develop over the passenger wheel well as a part of the refinish work on the passenger side - and at my request, the rust over the driver's rear wheel well too for only $300 extra in labor since all the paint is already on hand as part of the insurance work.

And so, the drive to 300,000 miles will continue soon enough...
CDsDontBurn and Natesriv like this.

-Brandon

Last edited by theterminator93; 03-28-2017 at 03:58 PM.
post #43 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 04:32 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Garage
He'll of a story, but glad to hear the culprit actually had insurance, and admitted liability. I hope you bought the guy's that wrote down his licence plate number a drink!

Also hope the repairs all go well and we see some pictures soon!

The Eagles

post #44 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 05:10 PM
4th Gear Poster

Garage
Sweet...
post #45 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 06:13 PM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Glad everything worked out for you Brandon.
It sucks that shit like this has to happen because some asshole can't pay attention to what they're doing. It really would have sucked if the insurance company wanted to total it.

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #46 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 06:19 PM
Seasoned Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeo Joe View Post
Glad everything worked out for you Brandon.
It sucks that shit like this has to happen because some asshole can't pay attention to what they're doing. It really would have sucked if the insurance company wanted to total it.

Joe
X2. Glad you came out on top of the ordeal Brandon .
post #47 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Well, well... car was done a few days early.

Turned out pretty well overall I'd say...

Pulled the bird out to rinse the winter garage dust off it as well, now that I'm done with the brake upgrades.

-Brandon

post #48 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 10:13 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Very nice daily driver you have.... the Mark looks fantastic! Funny I have the opposite; my pearl white Cougar is my baby/project and my red Tbird is my daily driver.

Not to throw your thread off topic, but stock for stock wise, how much of a difference in power and normal driving do you feel with the InTec compared to a stock 4.6 in a MN12?

96 Cougar Sport
96 Tbird LX
post #49 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 01:03 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Garage
Cars look great - what a pair! They've done a good job on the Lincoln.

Who's your neighbour across the street (in the second shot) the at has the red telephone box outside their house? Looks like something that would be more at home in this country!

The Eagles

post #50 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Thanks to both for the comments.

I've got some not-bubbling-or-peeling chrome trim pieces on the way which should really help clean up the impression of the car and take it up to the "worth preserving" level, especially after I swap to the 10 spoke wheels now that spring is finally here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenz View Post
Very nice daily driver you have.... the Mark looks fantastic! Funny I have the opposite; my pearl white Cougar is my baby/project and my red Tbird is my daily driver.

Not to throw your thread off topic, but stock for stock wise, how much of a difference in power and normal driving do you feel with the InTec compared to a stock 4.6 in a MN12?
Well, the Mark's powertrain is dead stock and the T-bird's is far from it, and it's been quite some time since I've driven a stock 4.6 MN12. Right now I can say the T-bird feels quicker on all counts (from a roll and from a stop) than the Mark does. But bear in mind the T-bird is making 50% more power now than it was when it was stock. But stock-for-stock, the Mark 8's extra oomph is a bigger jump than the feel of going from an NA V6 MN12 to the V8 MN12, and that is a very noticeable difference indeed (from what I remember back when I had the 3.8 Cougar and the T-bird before the H/C swap).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy625UK View Post
Cars look great - what a pair! They've done a good job on the Lincoln.

Who's your neighbour across the street (in the second shot) the at has the red telephone box outside their house? Looks like something that would be more at home in this country!
Hahaha yes indeed! I'm not acquainted with them personally but the father in-law has bumped into them a couple times. That side of the road is the side that has all the lakeshore property, so all the millionaires live there. About all I know about them is that the thing is lit up like a street lamp until like 2 AM (which rather inconveniently shines into our house at night)... they do a lot of charitable benefit traveling and they throw a lot of parties for political purposes in election years. No idea what they do for a living, and that is one of the smaller houses on that side of the road. Ours isn't particularly small either, but then again we've got 4-5 times the property that any of them does and ours isn't being eaten by the lake.

-Brandon

Last edited by theterminator93; 03-30-2017 at 05:46 AM.
post #51 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 03:44 AM
̇

Garage
Sorry to hear what happened to your Mark, that's cool you was able to get insurance to pay for it though..
As well as getting some other stuff fixed in the process..
Worked out pretty well when you think about it..
Quote:
Originally Posted by theterminator93 View Post
And so, the drive to 300,000 miles will continue soon enough...
You mean on the body..

You had the engine replaced in that one, right?

Rayo..

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there."George Harrison
post #52 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayo View Post
Sorry to hear what happened to your Mark, that's cool you was able to get insurance to pay for it though..
As well as getting some other stuff fixed in the process..
Worked out pretty well when you think about it..
Yes, indeed! I was pretty grim at the surface rust bubbling up on both sides (more on the driver's side than the passenger side), mostly above the rear wheels but also on the lower rear corner of the driver's door and above the rocker panel on that side - only two years after having it cleaned up. Such is Ohio... So when the shop said he'd be able to take out the rust on the passenger side as a part of the repair/blend process, I asked him how much extra to massage the driver's side before it got really ugly since he'd have the materials on hand and paid for... and the price I could not refuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayo View Post
You mean on the body..

You had the engine replaced in that one, right?
You got it. The original engine spun a rod bearing at 185k, and the one in it now was NOS (weird to say when referring to an engine!) when it was installed close to 30 months ago. Since then I've put nearly 50,000 miles on it.

The transmission in it now is also not the original; I swapped in the one from the father-in-law's 97 T-bird which had 165k on it at 205k since I knew the service history of it as well as its good operational state. The original trans worked fine when removed but it would take 1-2 extra seconds to engage 4th gear sometimes. It's on a dolly in the garage for when it's needed again.

So the body has 235k on it, the trans has 195k on it, and the engine has 50k on it. By the time the body has 300k, the trans (if it lasts) would have 260k and the engine would have 115k. Darn, it's already time to change the fluid in the trans again!

-Brandon

post #53 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
So after a transmission fluid and oil change on Wednesday, I took a peek at the shift linkage after having a thought regarding the "cranky" transmission (e.g. sometimes stays in neutral after putting it in D, until you throw it back in 2 then D again) - "what if the shift linkage needs to be adjusted a bit?". Sure enough, I forgot to tighten the bolt where the linkage attaches to the MLPS and it was loose, with about 1/4" of play in either direction. Tightened 'er up and all is well now. Car rolled over 234,900 miles this morning, so we're officially on the moon. Now for the trip back home!
CDsDontBurn likes this.

-Brandon

post #54 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 01:37 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Garage
Good job! Love it when there's a simple fix. Doesn't happen very often!

The Eagles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.