New Star Wars Trailer - Page 3 - TCCoA Forums

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 09:03 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
I wasn't too thrilled with it. Early on in the movie it was all over the place, introducing all the characters and trying to set everything up, and it just bounced around so much that the story didn't really flow. Most of the acting was quite good, except for the guy who played Cassian Andor, I thought he was just thoroughly unconvincing. I'll be vague on this next complaint so as to not have any spoilers, but they used CGI to bring back some digital versions of old characters, which I get why they did it, but it wasn't quite convincing enough to blend in, and felt to me like the digital effects of the prequels and the added in things in the re-release of the original trilogy, and I'm sure in 10-15 years people will look back at it and say how dated and tacky it looks. Also I had a minor complaint with their portrayal of Darth Vader. In the original trilogy, his movements are somewhat clunky, but you get that his power with the force is where his strength comes from. In this one, they make his movements practically athletic, and have him swinging his light saber around in the style of the prequels. Since this movie ends directly before the original begins, there is no plausible explanation for this difference in his movements and fighting style, and it seemed like something that was just thrown in for the Vader fan-boys to say what a bad-ass he is, but I think it would have been much better to see him acting like the Vader we are used to.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90SC 5-speed, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, soon to be transplanted into...
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-70 Torino GT Fastback project car. Needs EFI and a manual trans, but I'm not sure what motor to go with yet.
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #62 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 10:17 AM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Those sound like the kinds of peeves I tend to have, so I'll probably enjoy it as much. The Vader moves I'm disappointed by, episode VII brought back more of the unsophisticated fighting style of the originals which was one of the most refreshing parts IMO, so hardening back to the prequels for this? - oh so badass, Jedis dancing around like ninnies with long pauses to show their moody expressions. - where's Harrison Ford when you need him?

CDsDontBurn likes this.

-Matt
post #63 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 10:25 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to coggonobrien Send a message via MSN to coggonobrien Send a message via Yahoo to coggonobrien
I would agree the front was jumpy and unless you had an idea what was going on it was hard to follow. As for the old characters brought back by cgi I would say the one with the most screen time was definitely noticeable but I also wondered if I hadn't seen the movies as much as I have if I would of noticed. The vader thing was probably an homage to the fanboys and to be honest I enjoyed it but it was nowhere near as choreographed as the prequel fights. I would compare it to a professional mma fighter getting into a tussel with a bunch of frat boys. It's going to appear unnatural due to the shear difference in talent.
post #64 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 10:40 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to coggonobrien Send a message via MSN to coggonobrien Send a message via Yahoo to coggonobrien
I did feel they did a good job or using Red 1
post #65 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 01:58 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by coggonobrien View Post
I did feel they did a good job or using Red 1
Yes, I appreciated the red leader and gold leader shots, although I would have liked to see Wedge Antilles, or better yet, Biggs! They both obviously were supposed to be in the rebel fleet at the time. Wedge was in every x-wing battle in all the originals, so he should have been there, and having Biggs at the final battle would have been a neat little reference to the deleted scene in the original (which was probably the only change to the re-mastered version I liked) where he tells Luke that he has stories to tell him just before they go up to destroy the death star.
CDsDontBurn likes this.

-90SC 5-speed, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, soon to be transplanted into...
-70 Torino GT Fastback project car. Needs EFI and a manual trans, but I'm not sure what motor to go with yet.
post #66 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 02:00 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Was Porkins in it?

-Matt
post #67 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 02:03 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
where's Harrison Ford when you need him?

That could be a more apt reference than you realize. The original script had a long choreographed sword vs. whip fight with this guy, but in the heat of Tunisia, Harrison Ford got dysentery, and was tired and dehydrated, so when the time came to do it, he jokingly pulled out the gun and said "bang", so they reset and shot it again that way, and scrapped the whole fight sequence.

post #68 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 02:29 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
Was Porkins in it?
No, of course not. Nobody liked Porkins even in 1977, why would you want him back now?

post #69 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 02:31 PM
PostWhore

I thought it was really neat to see the scene where Obiwan is kissing his wife on Jedha
post #70 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 05:40 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
I thought it was really neat to see the scene where Obiwan is kissing his wife on Jedha
I don't remember this. Also that wouldn't make sense because Obiwan was on tattooine at this time, not to mention him never having had a wife before.

post #71 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 06:26 PM
PostWhore

I think he's trying to throw us off to make current "non-watchers" believe that Obiwan has a wife!

'97 Bird, "Pearl": L/R 2.5in Magnaflow Hi-Flow CATs | PI Intake & PI Cams | Suspension Rebuild

'13 Taurus, "The Bull": 3.5L Goodness

'00 2dr v6 Accord, "Dirty Girl": Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | Greddy SP2 CAT-Back | Eibach ProKit springs | Eibach F/R Sway Bars | KYB-GR2 struts
post #72 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 07:51 AM
PostWhore

Wouldn't that be mean to throw off folks
post #73 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 07:31 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Well I just saw it, not in 3D - I wear prescription glasses, 3D was not meant for the likes of us - I went in with lowered expectations from Mikey's post but came out loving it. Ditching the baggage of the main series was a boon, and while there was some clunky exposition for the new characters I think it flowed pretty well all things considered, much better than how it was handled in the Force Awakens IMO, and in comparison to that I found it a lot easier to follow without the whole light side dark side sithy emo ren and Snooki crap muddying the waters. A new hope kept the force in the background and this movie had that same restraint.

I don't think Vader's moves are too over the top either, I was expecting it to be like that stupid Yoda light saber fight in Attack of The Clones, but it was fairly subdued, not as much as the original trilogy but not jarring like I expected. I was more critical of his appearance, he seemed a bit too short to me and his overall build didn't really match that of the original actor in the suit. And James Earl Jones' voice seemed strained, not his fault at his age but it kind of took me out of it. Really I found his presence fairly unnecessary for the plot until the end, that would be where I'd say the fan-boy pandering comes in.

Only complaints, sans spoilers, I thought the character modeling CGI for old characters was actually pretty impressive, but other CGI showing the exteriors of ships, deathstars and whatnot for scene changes looked odd, I don't know if it was the CGI or the editing(the panning seemed too fast) but it looked weird. The other thing that bugs me, and this bugs me about every Star Wars movie made after the original trilogy FWIW, the "new" ships and fighters are pointless. This took place minutes before A New Hope and there were at least 7 types of ship and fighter between the Empire and Alliance never seen in that or the following movies. They were mixed in well with previously seen ships but why add? ...Oh yeah, sell toys.

I'm tieing it with A New Hope in my ranking, Empire's still the best and Jedi isn't even close unless they put out a special special special special edition blu ray where there's as much death and destruction this movie had inflicted on those fucking Ewoks

-Matt
post #74 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 07:08 AM
PostWhore

The thing that bothered me the most about episode 7 was the comedy that was thrown in just for the kids. That was pulled in from the prequels and I never understood it because I loved the original trilogy as a kid (born 1984) and never felt it needed to be funny. Smart ass comedy felt appropriate.
post #75 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 04:09 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Agreed, but that's how they masked it from appearing the A New Hope retread it was. With the exception of the lack of Jar Jar(which is a huge plus) the tone and humor of TFA reminded me of Episode I when I saw it.

I loved the original movies too but Return of the Jedi set the precedent, even when the Ewoks were in the heat of battle they were trying to be funny - Chewie Tarzan yell? really? - even as a kid I hated being pandered to with kid humor and I remember fast forwarding the Endor scenes a lot. Seems like the ANH and ESB were both adult Sci Fi movies, that just happened to produce some cool merchandise to lure in the kiddies, while ROJ began to pander to them and make it a family franchise, with ever more muppet like aliens. They made it way worse with the special edition though, and may cloud my memory since I've caught that version on TV more than I watched the original tape at this point.

-Matt
post #76 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 09:42 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
I never understood all the hating on Jedi. I get that it's not quite as good as the first 2, but it was still pretty damn good. R2 and C3PO were comic relief from the beginning on New Hope, and the ewoks in Jedi were no more comedic than the droids were in Empire. The special edition with all the CGI characters added to Jabba's palace was crap, but as a kid, Salacious Crumb actually gave me nightmares, despite being just a muppet, and everyone who hates on the muppets in Jabba's palace says nothing about the fact that Yoda is just as much of a muppet, and he takes up a good portion of Empire (knocking Yoda, here, I am not). You can't argue that the speeder bike chase wasn't awesome. The space battle scenes in Jedi were far better and more intense than the ones in Empire or A New Hope. Luke and Vader's light saber battle in Jedi was not quite as good as the one in Empire, but it was still pretty good, and the emperor was a completely sinister villain. I'm not arguing that it is better than the previous 2, but I don't think the feel of the franchise changed from Empire to Jedi, and I definitely don't see Jedi as pandering to children.

post #77 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 10:34 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
I agree that the droids were comic relief all the way through, and while I will concede Yoda being as much of a muppet, he was a dark muppet. That whole introduction of him was awesome - Yoda comes in initially as this sickeningly annoying character whose only there to irritate Luke, completely lowering expectations of a mature audience, then he talks to Obi Wan and the truth comes out, and suddenly this annoying thing turns out be the master Jedi hiding in plain sight! - The Muppets in Jabbas palace on the other hand were just in the background flailing around mostly, and the Ewoks were clearly midgets in bear costumes, there's no comparison. And yes I'm going to argue that the speeder bike chase wasn't awesome, it looked like a cheeseball bluescreen motorcycle chase reminiscent of a CHiPs episode lol. That stuff looks so clearly dated it takes me completely out of the good stuff in it, that being Luke's confrontation with the Emperor and the space battle above Endor. And while the battle of Endor was great(between the dancing bear cutaways), it wasn't nearly as suspenseful as the Millennium Falcon getting boxed in by by Star Destroyers and chased through an asteroid field by Tie Fighters in Empire, to me that was the Bullitt chase of space!

The Emperor, eh.. It's funny but as someone into the non special edition's I was also way more creeped out by the original version of him in Empire strikes back. Salacious Crumb may have given you nightmares, but this guy gave them to me.

I didn't really find him as disturbing in Jedi, lightning hands aside he seemed frail and kinda easy to defeat, all things considered. I saw Empire and Jedi back to back when I first saw em so I picked my fav early. Different strokes.

-Matt

Last edited by XR7-4.6; 12-21-2016 at 10:44 PM.
post #78 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
I saw the movie on Tuesday, as I was leaving the theater I checked my phone and saw that Carrie Fisher had passed. Talk about timing! So sad.

R.I.P. Carrie and Debbie.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto.
post #79 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 09:44 AM
PostWhore

well monkey what did you think of the movie
post #80 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 10:57 AM
4th Gear Poster

Garage
Very good movie, choppy beginning... felt rushed.
95% of the original trailers is NOT in the movie. They had to do reshoots as once it was filmed, they deemed it too much of a war movie, and not a Star Wars vibe... so there must have been EXTENSIVE reshoots... I feel the stuff from the original trailers was better.

I give it 4/5 starts... A worthy movie, but NOTHING beats Empire Strikes Back...by far the best sequel of any movie ever..
post #81 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 11:51 AM
PostWhore

Yeah I read somewhere that the original ending was much happier then kathleen kennedy green lit them to give it the appropriate dirty dozen ending.
post #82 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
well monkey what did you think of the movie
I liked it a lot. The best Star Wars movie since Empire IMHO. Like you said, "... I'm glad to see them put the War in Star Wars." I always thought Star Wars should be darker. I'm so sick of the watered down versions for general consumption and marketing of toys to kids.

The plot and dialogue flowed well, the actors were well cast and their performances were well executed. I loved the various tie-ins with A New Hope.

I liked the new "automatic" blaster. I've always wondered why they weren't more common in the Star Wars universe. Come on! Up until now every blaster I've seen in a star wars movie was basically semi-auto.

The death scene with Jyn & Cassian on the beach was well shot.

I thought Admiral Raddus was Admiral Ackbar. Not sure why they created/used a different character?

I must say I got choked up when I saw the CGI Princess Leia turn around at the end - and then to walk out of the theater and read that Carrie had just passed was really tough. It was so profound - for me - watching what will be her last appearance - in any form - in a Star Wars movie and then learning of her death on the same day.

OK, I've carried on enough about what I like. Let me think of some complaints. The slow-motion of the blast shock wave was a bit much a real shock wave of that sort would move much quicker. Some of the ground fighting could have been portrayed better.

Well, I could write more but I've got to get back to work.

Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto.
post #83 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natesriv View Post
Very good movie, choppy beginning... felt rushed.
95% of the original trailers is NOT in the movie. They had to do reshoots as once it was filmed, they deemed it too much of a war movie, and not a Star Wars vibe... so there must have been EXTENSIVE reshoots... I feel the stuff from the original trailers was better.

I give it 4/5 starts... A worthy movie, but NOTHING beats Empire Strikes Back...by far the best sequel of any movie ever..
Speaking of cut material I can't wait to see a directors cut with most or all of that put back in. And/or the deleted scenes and interviews about how the process of deciding what to keep, what to cut and what to reshoot played out in the extras included on a DVD.
Natesriv likes this.

post #84 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 01:13 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post
I liked it a lot. The best Star Wars movie since Empire IMHO. Like you said, "... I'm glad to see them put the War in Star Wars." I always thought Star Wars should be darker. I'm so sick of the watered down versions for general consumption and marketing of toys to kids.

The plot and dialogue flowed well, the actors were well cast and their performances were well executed. I loved the various tie-ins with A New Hope.

I liked the new "automatic" blaster. I've always wondered why they weren't more common in the Star Wars universe. Come on! Up until now every blaster I've seen in a star wars movie was basically semi-auto.

The death scene with Jyn & Cassian on the beach was well shot.

I thought Admiral Raddus was Admiral Ackbar. Not sure why they created/used a different character?

I must say I got choked up when I saw the CGI Princess Leia turn around at the end - and then to walk out of the theater and read that Carrie had just passed was really tough. It was so profound - for me - watching what will be her last appearance - in any form - in a Star Wars movie and then learning of her death on the same day.

OK, I've carried on enough about what I like. Let me think of some complaints. The slow-motion of the blast shock wave was a bit much a real shock wave of that sort would move much quicker. Some of the ground fighting could have been portrayed better.

Well, I could write more but I've got to get back to work.
Holy crap, being terrible with remembering names, I thought that was Admiral Ackbar until now. That answers some questions

Carrie Fisher's scenes for episode VIII are in the can, but episode IX will be, uh, interesting.

Big R.I.P. Poor Todd Fisher.

-Matt
post #85 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Super Moderator

Garage
Oh, OK. I didn't know she has already shot some scenes for upcoming movies.

Poor Todd Fisher indeed.

post #86 of 88 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Super Moderator

Garage
A Tribute To Carrie Fisher

Very touching. RIP Carrie. Thanks for the joy you brought to the world.

CDsDontBurn likes this.

post #87 of 88 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 09:15 AM
Boost!!!

Did you know the new one has a trailer on youtube? If I knew how to post videos I would...lol

Blake

1996 thunderbird lx (the silver slut)
http://forums.tccoa.com/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=387

post #88 of 88 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 09:55 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by modularbird View Post
Did you know the new one has a trailer on youtube? If I knew how to post videos I would...lol
Here it is
CDsDontBurn likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.