7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
New Star Wars Trailer

http://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/p...ection-n447531

I am soooo looking forward to this movie!

Pre-order ticket sales have been crashing websites like Fandango because demand is so high.

9.5 MILLION Views in 12 hours!!!

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto.

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 10-20-2015 at 09:44 AM.
post #2 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 10:46 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to coggonobrien Send a message via MSN to coggonobrien Send a message via Yahoo to coggonobrien
It definitely has the dark empire strikes back vibe to it. That movie is far and away my favorite. I'm still getting a kick out of how everybody is calling it the 7th star wars movie. Guess the 2 ewok adventures and the holiday special don't count
post #3 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 12:37 PM
5th Gear Poster

I think part of the Empire Strikes Back vibe comes from not knowing what to expect. The prequels had a completely different feel as we all knew what (but not how) things were going to play out.

But they probably should have delayed the trailer one more week. Aren't we supposed to be hyped about Back to the Future right now?

1996 Thunderbird LX (4.6), daily driver
1995 Mustang GT (5.0), alternate daily driver
post #4 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by coggonobrien View Post
It definitely has the dark Empire Strikes Back vibe to it. That movie is far and away my favorite. I'm still getting a kick out of how everybody is calling it the 7th star wars movie. Guess the 2 ewok adventures and the holiday special don't count
I like the darker feel too. I always thought that the STAR WARS universe should be a very dark place. Not so cutesy like the prequels were. Based on the previews I think the CGI is more integral to the story instead of Being the story as in 1 - 3. I have great faith that JJ Abrams will do this movie justice.

The ESB was my favorite too. The beginning battle on Hoth was just incredible. Such a nice change of pace from the let's destroy a Death Star monotony of 3 and 5.

Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto.
post #5 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 01:58 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Really of the three original movies Empire is the only one that's just a plain awesome movie, whether you're a sci fi fan or not, that movie just had fantastic direction and a very good plot. The first one, had some great effects for 1977 but the story was pretty cliched, and Jedi was only memorable for Admiral Ackbar , the three way split between the kiddie fan Ewok adventure , the Emperor attempting to turn Luke to the dark side and the space battle outside the death star just dragged on and on IMO. That movie didn't get cooking until the last 20-30 minutes, in that the death star tunnel chase was pretty sweet. What made Empire such an awesome sequel was that it didn't let the celebration after the events of the first succeed, all protagonists were dealt huge blows by the end of Empire - Han encased in carbonate and shipped away on a bounty, Leia losing him, Luke with his hand lopped off, not to mention dealt a severe mind**** by Vader's revelation, even Lando losing is safe haven of cloud city(presumably) and lucrative interests related to it by ultimately helping Han(unsuccessfully) and Leia escape.

I'm very optimistic about The Force Awakens in that scenario. Blowing up the Death star in the first one was a huge blow to the Empire, and it put the conspirators(rebel alliance) on the Empire's **** list, so that whole next movie(ESB) was dealing with the direct aftermath, running from one seedy side of the Galaxy to another attempting to evade them, rather unsuccessfully. I can only imagine the blowing up of yet another death star, killing the Emperor and Vader and 20-30 years of stewing and rebuilding, people still presumably clinging to their cushy Empire gigs will be baying for blood.

No thanks on pre-order tickets though, I'm not a nerd

-Matt
post #6 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 02:09 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
Really of the three original movies Empire is the only one that's just a plain awesome movie, whether you're a sci fi fan or not, that movie just had fantastic direction and a very good plot. The first one, had some great effects for 1977 but the story was pretty cliched, and Jedi was only memorable for Admiral Ackbar , the three way split between the kiddie fan Ewok adventure , the Emperor attempting to turn Luke to the dark side and the space battle outside the death star just dragged on and on IMO. That movie didn't get cooking until the last 20-30 minutes, in that the death star tunnel chase was pretty sweet. What made Empire such an awesome sequel was that it didn't let the celebration after the events of the first succeed, all protagonists were dealt huge blows by the end of Empire - Han encased in carbonate and shipped away on a bounty, Leia losing him, Luke with his hand lopped off, not to mention dealt a severe mind**** by Vader's revelation, even Lando losing is safe haven of cloud city(presumably) and lucrative interests related to it by ultimately helping Han(unsuccessfully) and Leia escape.

I'm very optimistic about The Force Awakens in that scenario. Blowing up the Death star in the first one was a huge blow to the Empire, and it put the conspirators(rebel alliance) on the Empire's **** list, so that whole next movie(ESB) was dealing with the direct aftermath, running from one seedy side of the Galaxy to another attempting to evade them, rather unsuccessfully. I can only imagine the blowing up of yet another death star, killing the Emperor and Vader and 20-30 years of stewing and rebuilding, people still presumably clinging to their cushy Empire gigs will be baying for blood.

No thanks on pre-order tickets though, I'm not a nerd
I just hope they don't break out a geriatric Jar-jar into this next trilogy.
-g

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)
post #7 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 06:03 PM
5th Gear Poster

Well, seeing as they have so far squandered any and all chances to kill him, The Force Awakens might just be the perfect opportunity for some overdue, cold-blooded fanservice.

post #8 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 09:43 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to coggonobrien Send a message via MSN to coggonobrien Send a message via Yahoo to coggonobrien
i'm pretty sure jar jar is kylo ren with a nice hair piece
post #9 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Super Moderator

Garage
LOL

You're not the first person I've heard say that ....

post #10 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 09:49 AM
PostWhore

local theater has a package deal to see all 7 back to back to back to back to back to back on the opening day for $55.........hmmm i could definitely schedule some naps in sections of episodes 1-3.
post #11 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Super Moderator

Garage
Wow! Now that's a movie marathon!

post #12 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 09:57 AM
PostWhore

I don't consider myself a nerd but I have always loved star wars. I wasn't old enough to see the original trilogy in the theater when they first released but at least I got to in the 90's.
post #13 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 03:14 PM
PostWhore

yeah i seen the original 3 when they were re-released in the late 90s and I thought they were pretty cool, the 3 that followed weren't as good though

I like what jj did with star-trek, IMO its the best one yet, hopefully he does this some justice, I'll definitely be there around christmas time if there's any seats available

supercoupin'

www.EFIDynoTuning.com
post #14 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 03:28 PM
PostWhore

I was able to get my wife to sit down and watch the movies over the last couple months in this order 4,5,6,2,3. She really enjoyed the originals and not so much the prequels. She was honestly pissed when Vader died. She felt it was bs that he's good now and had no chance to really redeem himself beyond killing the emperor.
post #15 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 04:46 PM
PostWhore

my girls trick or treating at my wife's work last night
post #16 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Super Moderator

Garage
How Cute! I bet they had a great time.

post #17 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Super Moderator

Garage
This trailer's amazing! Probably all the best highlights from the movie but oh well ...

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 12-12-2015 at 09:56 PM.
post #18 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 10:01 PM
5th Gear Poster

Waitaminute- I see something familiar at 0:43 there. Those are torque converters (and a blower fan, I think) behind the netting. Looks like they've been sitting on layaway ever since Luke ordered them.

post #19 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Super Moderator

Garage
LOL

Torque converters make the best space junk!

post #20 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 08:56 AM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urambo Tauro View Post
Waitaminute- I see something familiar at 0:43 there. Those are torque converters (and a blower fan, I think) behind the netting. Looks like they've been sitting on layaway ever since Luke ordered them.
That is definitely a TC; it kinda looks like a centrifugal blower on top, and the dark/silver thing is a diode bridge out of an alternator.

I have one just like it right here, courtesy of GM.

Amazing how a "Long ago" civilization hit on the exact same design, lol.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

I'm not Human enough to be human; but I'm trying to fit in, and I'm learning to fake it.

"Never said Hibbity..." - Brian Williams
post #21 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015, 08:33 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
Going to the midnight showing tonight! Anyone else going to see this tonight?

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90SC 5-speed, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, soon to be transplanted into...
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-70 Torino GT Fastback project car. Needs EFI and a manual trans, but I'm not sure what motor to go with yet.
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #22 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015, 09:14 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
I'm waiting a week, I went to a midnight showing for Revenge of the Sith and I wasn't particularly happy among that nerdfest (especially since the movie sucked).

Also, any spoilers= 1 month ban lol

-Matt
post #23 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xr7-4.6 View Post
i'm waiting a week, i went to a midnight showing for revenge of the sith and i wasn't particularly happy among that nerdfest (especially since the movie sucked).

Also, any spoilers= 1 month ban lol
lol

+1

NO SPOILERS PLEASE!

post #24 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post
lol

+1

NO SPOILERS PLEASE!
I hear Darth Vader is Lukes Father!

lol.

One of my friends got punched in the face for saying that right after we saw it the first time.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

I'm not Human enough to be human; but I'm trying to fit in, and I'm learning to fake it.

post #25 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015, 01:38 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Yeah... I want to see it but I'm not crazy enough to fight the hardcore crowd to see it right away. The local paper reviewed it as better than the 1977 original (although only marginally). We'll see about that...

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 155k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
96 Ivory Mark VIII 233k, stock 4.6 32v on coils; New engine at 185k
Gone but not forgotten: 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #26 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015, 02:31 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by theterminator93 View Post
Yeah... I want to see it but I'm not crazy enough to fight the hardcore crowd to see it right away. The local paper reviewed it as better than the 1977 original (although only marginally). We'll see about that...
I never placed the 1977 one on much of a pedestal, when you get past the stellar for the era special effects the plot was kinda cookie cutter(basically pick a western and add space ships). I think the canon of the subsequent movies makes it more special than it otherwise would have been as a single hit movie.

Plus Lucas eroded a lot of awesomeness in the "enhanced" rererereleases of it(Han shot first), so if the new film is being judged against those versions, which pretty much anyone under 30 has probably only ever seen, it wouldn't be hard to top.

-Matt
post #27 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015, 02:33 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Ugh, the re-released versions. Don't open THAT can of worms.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 155k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
96 Ivory Mark VIII 233k, stock 4.6 32v on coils; New engine at 185k
Gone but not forgotten: 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #28 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015, 02:52 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
Well while the reviews were all very good, and the movie was good overall, I don't think it was as good as the original trilogy. It definitely had the feel of the original trilogy in terms of the cinematography, so it felt like watching a star wars movie as opposed to episodes 1-3, which felt more like watching a Pixar movie. Also the actors all did a great job, and despite them all being almost 40 years older, all the original characters were instantly convincing as older versions of their original character. I really have only 2 complaints about the movie. One is that the writing and dialogue is not up to par of the original trilogy. I can't explain that more without hinting at spoilers, so I won't touch that until other people have seen the movie. The other complaint is that the worlds and many scenes seem like fanboy interpretations/adaptations of original trilogy scenes. In the original trilogy, each new location had a very different feel from the others. In this movie, all the locations (which are supposed to be new worlds) look and feel too much like Tatooine, Hoth, Endor, the Death Star, etc. While I'm sure most fans will like that, I was hoping for more originality in that respect.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90SC 5-speed, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, soon to be transplanted into...
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-70 Torino GT Fastback project car. Needs EFI and a manual trans, but I'm not sure what motor to go with yet.
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #29 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015, 03:30 PM
PostWhore

my 2 chief complaints were too many closeup lower shots like you are looking up at the actor and carrie fisher should of laid off the botox.
post #30 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 02:46 PM

Ahhh; controversy:

'Star Wars: The Force Awakens': Is Rey A Mary Sue? Twitter Sparks Fanboy Debate

BTW, I spent $50 on a stuffed Jar-Jar back in the day just so he could go to the range with me and some friends.

And Barney, the used-to-be purple dinosaur, lol.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.