Just some updates on my progress - Page 2 - TCCoA Forums

25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 07:58 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddMartigan View Post
I did. I actually cut holes in there because the subframe bolts were rusted in place. Unfortunately the holes didn't help anything because the problem was that the bolts were rusted inside the sleeves in the stock subframe mounts. My ultimate solution was to weld a very large nut on top of the existing bolt head and then used a large breaker bar to literally break the bolts that held it in place. I then replaced those bolts with some grade 10.9 metric bolts.
Wow, that's a job. That spot is were my cougar really got hit with rust, it ate away all around the mount, so I was curious. Thanks.
post #32 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 08:44 AM
4th Gear Poster

Garage
I was wondering what my '93 would look like without the door guards... nice. Goo gone will take that residue off, or is it hardened?

Looks good!

Can't wait to get my Bird delivered!
post #33 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natesriv View Post
I was wondering what my '93 would look like without the door guards... nice. Goo gone will take that residue off, or is it hardened?

Looks good!

Can't wait to get my Bird delivered!
Well, I removed the door guards over 10 years ago and let's just say that I've matured a bit since then. Back then I couldn't figure out a way to get the adhesive off so I just left it. I've actually ordered the stuff to get it off so I'll do that and post my results here. What I've read is that Goo Gone won't do it and, if I recall correctly, I tried that a long time ago with no luck.

"When the only tool you have is a hammer, suddenly everything looks like a nail."
"Nothing is foolproof because fools are so ingenious."
1993 Ford Thunderbird LX
Coast High Peformance 342 Stroker
-Low Tension Oil Rings, Zero Gap Seconds
-10.5:1 Compression Ratio
Trick Flow Twisted Wedge heads
Trick Flow Stage 1 cam
Trick Flow Street Heat Intake
Mac 1 5/8 long tube headers
FRPP 42# injectors
3.73 gears
Custom aluminum driveshaft
Built Darrin/dirtyd0g AOD with wide ratio gearset
dirtyd0g 9.5" Custom Torque Converter
Quarterhorse ECM from Moates
Zeitronix ZT-2 WB O2
No times under new system.......yet.
OMGHI2U

post #34 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 12:31 PM
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Well, I removed the door guards over 10 years ago and let's just say that I've matured a bit since then. Back then I couldn't figure out a way to get the adhesive off so I just left it. I've actually ordered the stuff to get it off so I'll do that and post my results here. What I've read is that Goo Gone won't do it and, if I recall correctly, I tried that a long time ago with no luck.
I use 3M adhesive remover. It's what we used in the body shop I worked for. It works really well and leaves no residue. To be honest, it smells like lighter fluid that would be used in a zippo lighter. I haven't removed the trim from my Cougar yet. I will do it when I get ready to do the body work. My car doesn't need much body work thankfully.

Here's a link to show what I use. It's doubled in price since I bought my last quart nearly 10 years ago. The stuff doesn't seem to go bad. It usually doesn't take much. A little splash on a shop rag and rub. I have squirted it on the top back side of trim and let it set for about 10-15 minutes. Then warm the trim with a hair dryer and gently pull it off. Sometimes it will peel off clean. No tools involved.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-General-Pu...f902e31d1cdba1

All stock 1990 Merc Blue Max Cougar 3.8L with Automatic
post #35 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 12:59 PM
5th Gear Poster

I'd like to see it with the new wheels posted earlier. Beware your old tires, I have 4 truck tires from 2003 that all have sidewalls cracking(they did get a lot of sun). I'm pretty much down to the new tires I bought in December.
Kidd-7 likes this.

1992 Tbird LX 5.0, 3.73 gears, 1995 Cobra intake, deleted air silencer, 2.5" mandrel bent dual exhaust, SCP shorty headers. Updated four-hole fuel injectors. SK shift kit in AOD. Vogtland 0.9" springs, Tokico and Bilstein shocks.
post #36 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
I use 3M adhesive remover. It's what we used in the body shop I worked for. It works really well and leaves no residue. To be honest, it smells like lighter fluid that would be used in a zippo lighter. I haven't removed the trim from my Cougar yet. I will do it when I get ready to do the body work. My car doesn't need much body work thankfully.

Here's a link to show what I use. It's doubled in price since I bought my last quart nearly 10 years ago. The stuff doesn't seem to go bad. It usually doesn't take much. A little splash on a shop rag and rub. I have squirted it on the top back side of trim and let it set for about 10-15 minutes. Then warm the trim with a hair dryer and gently pull it off. Sometimes it will peel off clean. No tools involved.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-General-Pu...f902e31d1cdba1
Yep, I ordered it already. As soon as I get it this is on my list of things to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonm1 View Post
I'd like to see it with the new wheels posted earlier. Beware your old tires, I have 4 truck tires from 2003 that all have sidewalls cracking(they did get a lot of sun). I'm pretty much down to the new tires I bought in December.
Yep, that's on my list of things to do as well.

I actually have a set of tires on there from another car now which are only about two years old. The really old tires got pulled off a couple of months ago.

Once I have that part done I'll post pics.

"When the only tool you have is a hammer, suddenly everything looks like a nail."
1993 Ford Thunderbird LX
Trick Flow Stage 1 cam
FRPP 42# injectors
3.73 gears
Zeitronix ZT-2 WB O2
OMGHI2U

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 01-07-2017 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Merge posts
post #37 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 05:20 PM
5th Gear Poster

I wonder if there's some white stickers you could add to make the hood blend in without the expense of painting.

1992 Tbird LX 5.0, 3.73 gears, 1995 Cobra intake, deleted air silencer, 2.5" mandrel bent dual exhaust, SCP shorty headers. Updated four-hole fuel injectors. SK shift kit in AOD. Vogtland 0.9" springs, Tokico and Bilstein shocks.
post #38 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 05:54 PM
4th Gear Poster

Garage
I took the molding off my old 95 Ford Contour SE;, I recall is was a lot of rubbing the gooey residue with my finger to wad it up enough to pull off.

I modded that car quite a bit, probably TOO much.

You Bird looks great, the rear rebuild is really nice!
post #39 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 07:17 PM
1st Gear Poster

Garage
Any pics of the car after the STR wheels were mounted?
post #40 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonm1 View Post
I wonder if there's some white stickers you could add to make the hood blend in without the expense of painting.
I actually have something in mind. My original plan was to take most of the proceeds from selling my truck and put them into paint and body for the car but as I've worked through my mechanical things and gotten closer to having it ready to run I have decided that putting ~$5000+ into paint and body may not make sense for how I plan to use the car.

So, I have some thoughts on how I can resolve some of these items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhughes909 View Post
Any pics of the car after the STR wheels were mounted?
Coming ~soon.

1993 Ford Thunderbird LX
Trick Flow Stage 1 cam
FRPP 42# injectors
3.73 gears
Zeitronix ZT-2 WB O2
OMGHI2U

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 01-07-2017 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Merge posts
post #41 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 01:22 AM
2nd Gear Poster

very nice ride, love the na !

I WANT TO TRADE a 75mm throttlebody and exremly ported vic plenum and a set of 24lb injectors FOR a pi intake and alternator bracket and hopefully valleytube and nipple, pm me!!!
post #42 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 10:02 AM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natesriv View Post

You Bird looks great, the rear rebuild is really nice!
I have a 99 Contour; which exhaust fits the 2l dohc?

Are there any forums still active?

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

I'm not Human enough to be human; but I'm trying to fit in, and I'm learning to fake it.

"Never said Hibbity..." - Brian Williams

Last edited by Grog6; 01-07-2017 at 07:57 PM.
post #43 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 03:54 PM
4th Gear Poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post
I have a 99 Contour; which exhaust fits the 2l dohc?

Are there any forums still active?
Forums - CEG Forums

been a LONG time since I was on there!
post #44 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 07:41 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
I just want to say. Great car Martigan.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto.
post #45 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post
I just want to say. Great car Martigan.
Me Too!

Your car is the inspiration for the 400HP I want out of my DOHC; higher compression is the way to go!

I doubt I'll get there with my initial config, but I have high hopes in Leaf Blower Technology.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

I'm not Human enough to be human; but I'm trying to fit in, and I'm learning to fake it.

post #46 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the compliments guys. It has been a longer journey to get it back on the road than I thought but it's pretty much there. I can't wait to run/race it in the spring and summer this year.

1993 Ford Thunderbird LX
Trick Flow Stage 1 cam
FRPP 42# injectors
3.73 gears
Zeitronix ZT-2 WB O2
OMGHI2U

post #47 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The working list is in progress. The next move is a new Griffin radiator. I have the fan attached. Now I need to figure out a way to mount it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170108_151239.jpg (1.00 MB, 6 views)

1993 Ford Thunderbird LX
Trick Flow Stage 1 cam
FRPP 42# injectors
3.73 gears
Zeitronix ZT-2 WB O2
OMGHI2U

post #48 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:
The working list is in progress. The next move is a new Griffin radiator. I have the fan attached. Now I need to figure out a way to mount it.
What mounting points does it have?
If they're Cobra, it's not too bad.

I put a Mishimoto cobra radiator I put in the Red Cougar; the newer ones are even better. Lifetime warranty, too.
I used the cobra fan with the dropping resistor for low speed, and swapped the fan plug.

I followed racecougars' Cobra Radiator Swap directions, and hammer modded the brackets to fit, lol.
You basically remove and reshape the top brackets, and mod the holes at the bottom to fit. I slotted one hole ~1/2", iirc.

I had to cut the metal tray to clear the drain plug, ymmv.

post #49 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post
What mounting points does it have?
If they're Cobra, it's not too bad.

I put a Mishimoto cobra radiator I put in the Red Cougar; the newer ones are even better. Lifetime warranty, too.
I used the cobra fan with the dropping resistor for low speed, and swapped the fan plug.

I followed racecougars' Cobra Radiator Swap directions, and hammer modded the brackets to fit, lol.
You basically remove and reshape the top brackets, and mod the holes at the bottom to fit. I slotted one hole ~1/2", iirc.

I had to cut the metal tray to clear the drain plug, ymmv.
It has exactly no mounting points. It's a universal. That's OK, I'm on my way. I've started fabbing my bottom brackets. Once I have those worked out then I can make the top brackets. I'm using right angle metal brackets as the source. I'm not too far away from working it out.

1993 Ford Thunderbird LX
Trick Flow Stage 1 cam
FRPP 42# injectors
3.73 gears
Zeitronix ZT-2 WB O2
OMGHI2U

post #50 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 04:56 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Might not be appealing to do on a fancy new radiator but if you gently push away a few fins you can run bolts through the core to mount the shroud, that's pretty common practice with people doing electric fan conversions using our cars (Mark VIIIs) fans

-Matt
post #51 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
"You can take the billy out of the hills but you can't take the hills out of the billy."

Bottom brackets/supports fabbed mostly from parts laying around the garage and how the fan is mounted to the radiator.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170108_193242.jpg (123.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170108_193217.jpg (140.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170108_193339.jpg (788.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170108_193330.jpg (1.03 MB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170108_193228.jpg (162.6 KB, 4 views)

1993 Ford Thunderbird LX
Trick Flow Stage 1 cam
FRPP 42# injectors
3.73 gears
Zeitronix ZT-2 WB O2
OMGHI2U

post #52 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Pardon my blurry picture but I believe that I have the mounting brackets worked out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170109_194850.jpg (550.6 KB, 6 views)

1993 Ford Thunderbird LX
Trick Flow Stage 1 cam
FRPP 42# injectors
3.73 gears
Zeitronix ZT-2 WB O2
OMGHI2U

post #53 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 09:41 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
That'll work.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto.
post #54 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 01:12 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
My radiator mount brackets are similar but I was a little more worried about the my bracket unduly stressing the aluminum griffin radiator so I cut up a spare yoga mat to line the bracket. IIRC, some rubber cement -- or maybe some black duct tape (i forget) holds the squishy stuff in place in the brackets. In comparison, with 4 bolts versus my own single bolts, I also think you are more worried about the top brackets coming off the rad support brace than I am.

I also had a real welder TIG an aluminum bung into the radiator end tank closest to the engine intake. This way I can screw in my aftermarket coolant temp gauge sender and see exactly how hot the water is going into my engine. I also know that given how low in the coolant system my temp sender is mounted, I will always read water temp. In a previous racing debacle, my top of the engine mounted coolant temp sensor started reading air when an overheating condition caused the coolant level to drop below the level fo the temp sender. THAT particular engine cooked itself when I didn't realize WHY the temp sensor dropped from 250F to 150F.

Oh, I also use a sacrificial anode for my drain petcock since I run pure water in my car (because of lemons regulations) and I'm a little worried about all the different metals causing electrolysis (Iron, aluminum, and I think there's a little bronze where I replaced my heater crossover pipe to simplify my cooling system).
-g

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)
post #55 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 05:22 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by S4gunn View Post
My radiator mount brackets are similar but I was a little more worried about the my bracket unduly stressing the aluminum griffin radiator so I cut up a spare yoga mat to line the bracket. IIRC, some rubber cement -- or maybe some black duct tape (i forget) holds the squishy stuff in place in the brackets. In comparison, with 4 bolts versus my own single bolts, I also think you are more worried about the top brackets coming off the rad support brace than I am.
The pic is of a dry fit so I'm not quite done yet. The brackets I made are aluminum too but I plan to use a piece of bicycle inner-tube to form some vibration dampening. Also, the brackets I made for the bottom actually sit in the OEM holes where they are dampened by the rubber grommets.

Quote:
I also had a real welder TIG an aluminum bung into the radiator end tank closest to the engine intake. This way I can screw in my aftermarket coolant temp gauge sender and see exactly how hot the water is going into my engine. I also know that given how low in the coolant system my temp sender is mounted, I will always read water temp. In a previous racing debacle, my top of the engine mounted coolant temp sensor started reading air when an overheating condition caused the coolant level to drop below the level fo the temp sender. THAT particular engine cooked itself when I didn't realize WHY the temp sensor dropped from 250F to 150F.
OK, well, I'm past that point right now but this has given me something to think about. I bought an inline housing for my fan controller sensor and now I'm a little concerned that I'm making a mistake because I was planning to put it inside the top hose. That now seems like a bad plan. I guess I can just revert back to using the pencil probe sensor since that has proven to work just fine.

Quote:
Oh, I also use a sacrificial anode for my drain petcock since I run pure water in my car (because of lemons regulations) and I'm a little worried about all the different metals causing electrolysis (Iron, aluminum, and I think there's a little bronze where I replaced my heater crossover pipe to simplify my cooling system).
-g
Typically the metal that's most susceptible to corrosion ends up being the sacrificial anode so your drain petcock was probably already sacrificial.

1993 Ford Thunderbird LX
Trick Flow Stage 1 cam
FRPP 42# injectors
3.73 gears
Zeitronix ZT-2 WB O2
OMGHI2U

post #56 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 03:25 PM
̇

Garage
Quote:
Pardon my blurry picture but I believe that I have the mounting brackets worked out.
How much room do you have in between the Water Pump snout and the Mark VIII fan motor?

I don't recall you saying what Griffin radiator you're using, have a part number??

Rayo..

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there."George Harrison
post #57 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayo View Post
How much room do you have in between the Water Pump snout and the Mark VIII fan motor?

I don't recall you saying what Griffin radiator you're using, have a part number??
Rayo..
I'm using Griffin Aluminum Pro Series Radiators 1-26242-XS.

I would said that there is less than half an inch but the fan motor sits lower than the front of the pump so there isn't any real overlap. I also cut the threads for the mechanical fan off the nose of the water pump. If I ever replace the pump then I will buy one for a Mustang instead of for a Thunderbird.

1993 Ford Thunderbird LX
Trick Flow Stage 1 cam
FRPP 42# injectors
3.73 gears
Zeitronix ZT-2 WB O2
OMGHI2U

post #58 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 05:20 PM
̇

Garage
Thanks, that gives me a better idea of what to expect interference wise..If I decide to use the same universal Griffin radiator..

I'm sure you saved a few bucks going with the universal vs the MN12 Griffin radiator as well..

Nice work..

Rayo..

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there."George Harrison
post #59 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayo View Post
Thanks, that gives me a better idea of what to expect interference wise..If I decide to use the same universal Griffin radiator..

I'm sure you saved a few bucks going with the universal vs the MN12 Griffin radiator as well..

Nice work..
SCP wants ~$650 for the application specific model. This was about $175. I think it's worth it to make your own brackets.

1993 Ford Thunderbird LX
Trick Flow Stage 1 cam
FRPP 42# injectors
3.73 gears
Zeitronix ZT-2 WB O2
OMGHI2U

post #60 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Rear brakes are done just short of bleeding them. The bigger rotors are definitely bigger. The new wheels definitely fit. They will also definitely stick out a bit but I'll need that with 275's on all four corners.

That second picture has "motion blur".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170126_194758.jpg (392.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170126_194812.jpg (488.0 KB, 4 views)

1993 Ford Thunderbird LX
Trick Flow Stage 1 cam
FRPP 42# injectors
3.73 gears
Zeitronix ZT-2 WB O2
OMGHI2U

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.