Common MN12 Problems (A buyers Guide) - Page 2 - TCCoA Forums

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 01:08 AM
2nd Gear Poster

Garage
My '96 4.6L had the coolant crossover failure about 14 years and 140,000 miles ago. The manifold I have now, replaced under the recall/extended warranty at zero cost to me, must have been an early one since it's all black plastic externally. [knocks on various wood and faux-wood objects till knuckles are raw]

I started noticing the rocker rot last year... sad, but inevitable, on a car that was a daily driver including winters first in SD and later ND, with excursions into MN and other neighboring states, for the timeframe of 1998 through 2010.

196k+ miles and I've never touched the fuel pump. I want to get the car past 200k... after that, I'm not sure what I'm doing with it.

1996 Ford Thunderbird 4.6L/auto, 195k miles, semi-retired
2005 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 4x4 4.7L/auto
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T 5.7 Hemi/auto
Gone but not forgotten: 1973 Mercury Cougar XR-7 351C-2V/FMX - 2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 5.7L/manual
post #32 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to steveg1988 Send a message via Skype™ to steveg1988
General Thing for new owners

Stock up on random parts, what is easily found today may not be when you need it.
post #33 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 09:34 AM

Angry

I do think that totally crappy gas may shorten the life. As will letting the car sit. A buddy did his wife's Mustang GTat 3500 miles. But the car is just not driven all that much. Maybe a tank a year.

If there's some consensus on a average it would be good to know.[/QUOTE]

I have a 40th Anniversary Packaged '04 GT Mustang Convertible that I had to replace the fuel pump this past spring with only 23K miles. Car is sometimes driven less than 250 miles during warm weather months for car shows. A co-worker had to change his '04 Mach 1 fuel pump out at 9300 miles. Seems the factory ford fuel pumps don't do well in the tank of rarely driven 'Stangs.

I hope I don't have this issue with the Cougar I just purchased. It has 41k miles and was last registered in '08. Sat in the lady's basement due to health reasons. Still working out some of the lack of usage bugs with one being inoperative wipers, washers pump and door/key chimes. Fixed all the other electrical issues encountered so far but that one. Have checked the combination switch, the relay module, and fuses. Anyone have any input on the ground wire(s) location for this circuit?

Would like to suggest this be considered an issue on low usage cars if not listed already further on in the thread. I've run across several searches listing this issue for T-Birds and Cougars.
post #34 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 08:58 AM
PostWhore

Dump a can of Sea Foam in a full tank of gas, to dissolve varnish from all of the fuel system components.

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 68k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 Crown Vic Police Interceptor - Brenda's car
Previous cars:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years
post #35 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

According to the guy i got my leather interior off of, the t-bird power seat motors are a flawed design from the start. He worked at Holman Ford until 2001 as a service/parts guy. And he was able to swap my interior for me in about 45 minutes, so i can trust that he would be right about that!
post #36 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

This is not a common problem, or a problem at all. This is more like a "good design" feature.

the MN12 does not use struts up front, they do sell quick struts (i have a set) but they are really coilovers. Meaning that you don't have to do much to get them in or out. Break the ball joint loose to get more room to swing the bottom arm out, unbolt the top bolts, unbolt the bottom bolt, it is as easy as doing a regular shock absorber.

Common Issue: New shocks will rarely have the right mounts for the rear, just go with whatever they have for the top mount and follow the directions, it is differnet but....it works 100%.
Don't try and get the sport suspension....nobody really makes it anymore.
post #37 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 08:40 PM
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveg1988 View Post
General Thing for new owners

Stock up on random parts, what is easily found today may not be when you need it.
About the smartest thing I've heard so far !!
post #38 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 07:57 AM
5th Gear Poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogbird95 View Post
You can fix B pillar fade with some matte black plasti dip. Did it to mine and looks great.
Black Bumper paint works too
post #39 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 08:46 AM
5th Gear Poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveg1988 View Post
According to the guy i got my leather interior off of, the t-bird power seat motors are a flawed design from the start. He worked at Holman Ford until 2001 as a service/parts guy. And he was able to swap my interior for me in about 45 minutes, so i can trust that he would be right about that!
The motors are fine I believe... taken them apart more than once... very simple...rotor, stator..the magnets are actually in the metal tubes that hold the parts... Pretty simple.
The BAD part of the design is the power seat switches. There's a lot of copper parts which I think just wear at the contacts over the years...

I've a post on the seats here somewhere..

Pefect? No but pretty simple to fix
post #40 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 11:27 AM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
The gearboxes are flawed, steel worm gears in a plastic case makes for a bad time. The switches I've never ever heard of issues with.

-Matt
post #41 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 12:17 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natesriv View Post
Black Bumper paint works too
Krylon flat black looks quite nice too. It's not as flat as it sounds, more like a matte finish. No orange peel at all, very smooth.

Looking inside the door, I was surprised to see how much gloss the original color had. I still like flat - it doesn't jump out at you like a gloss would against slightly faded rubber trim.

Al
Natesriv likes this.

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 68k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 Crown Vic Police Interceptor - Brenda's car
Previous cars:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years
post #42 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 02:01 PM

Garage
ODO gears :/

Lots of links on here as to where to find them and how to repair it. Mine went last week at 98K.

96 Thunderbird LX 3.8L
Fishing when I'm not driving
Advice welcomed
post #43 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 04:00 PM
5th Gear Poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by T6Rocket View Post
Krylon flat black looks quite nice too. It's not as flat as it sounds, more like a matte finish. No orange peel at all, very smooth.

Looking inside the door, I was surprised to see how much gloss the original color had. I still like flat - it doesn't jump out at you like a gloss would against slightly faded rubber trim.

Al
Agreed, a nice semi matte finish sets it off just fine
post #44 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 05:49 PM
Kind of slapped together

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt96NY View Post
ODO gears :/

Lots of links on here as to where to find them and how to repair it. Mine went last week at 98K.
Dude, that's not a MN12 thing ... those are Chrysler/Ford gears we buy; and there's a REASON why Chrysler is listed first in a lot of the listings!

RwP

Fuelly

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.