Front Bushing Picture Thread with part numbers - Page 4 - TCCoA Forums

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 104 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 10:58 AM
6th Gear Poster

I know from my old Navy days that hydraulic lines may resonate when a ship's rudder is moved, at least on some of the older ships.

Steam lines can do the same thing. Maybe the TP bushings are just more sensitive to hydraulic line resonance than the OEM ones.

I discovered the brake fluid solution by accident BTW.

The TP design is completely different from the OEM one and Moog should have at least included a tech drawing with the bushing kit.

My perception is that someone could easily wind up chasing their tail from a troubleshooting standpoint if the brakes are also worn on their car when they install the TP replacement bushing kit.

All I know is at a minimum you WILL get steering wheel feedback if the front and rear strut-to-frame TP bushings are incorrectly reversed when they are put on. That's pretty easy to do without instructions because the conical OEM bushing is installed in front of the sub-frame.

Without instructions or a tech drawing, most people probably mimic the OEM setup and install the conical TP bushing on the wrong side of the sub-frame.

Use a tool, don't be one...

-Mark

1997 Thunderbird LX 4.6L
1970 Torino GT 351C 4V

...................................GT
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\..|||||
post #92 of 104 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 08:09 PM
1st Gear Poster

After trying my luck on Ebay I managed to collect almost all the bits I need to rebuild my front end. The OEM Ford bushings cost a pretty penny and involved pulling the buy trigger on a zero feedback seller but it's all here now.

Now the real problem is figuring out what to do about the sleeves for the strut rod to frame bushings. Even though my Cougar is a garage kept Arizona car with 76,000 original miles with consistent bad luck it seems unlikely the old ones will be usable. If I'm wrong please please tell me. Sorta don't want to tear it apart till I get everything to together.

Anyone have the all of the dimensions of them? The oem stuff looks totally different from the after market junk. The pic on the first page is helpful but with a bit more info I may be able to get something made.
post #93 of 104 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 12:40 AM
Kind of slapped together

Or, you know, you could contact Jay Richmond ( 98Mark8LSC here) and buy his units.

RwP

Fuelly
post #94 of 104 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 12:52 AM
1st Gear Poster

The $170 ones? No thanks.
post #95 of 104 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 03:10 AM
I make stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy Cougar View Post
After trying my luck on Ebay I managed to collect almost all the bits I need to rebuild my front end. The OEM Ford bushings cost a pretty penny and involved pulling the buy trigger on a zero feedback seller but it's all here now.

Now the real problem is figuring out what to do about the sleeves for the strut rod to frame bushings. Even though my Cougar is a garage kept Arizona car with 76,000 original miles with consistent bad luck it seems unlikely the old ones will be usable. If I'm wrong please please tell me. Sorta don't want to tear it apart till I get everything to together.

Anyone have the all of the dimensions of them? The oem stuff looks totally different from the after market junk. The pic on the first page is helpful but with a bit more info I may be able to get something made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphP View Post
Or, you know, you could contact Jay Richmond ( 98Mark8LSC here) and buy his units.

RwP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy Cougar View Post
The $170 ones? No thanks.
Nope, the $135 ones.

They're 304 stainless steel and 360-degree TIG welded. They'll oulast everything else on the car....

As stated above, they're $135 shipped for the sleeves, but I also sell the Motorcraft OEM frame-side bushings for an additional $45 for the set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg srb sleeves4.jpg (43.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg srb sleeves1.jpg (13.1 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg srb sleeves2.jpg (80.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg srb sleeves3.jpg (72.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg strut rod bushings.jpg (90.9 KB, 6 views)
CDsDontBurn likes this.
post #96 of 104 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 05:19 AM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98mark8lsc View Post
Nope, the $135 ones.

They're 304 stainless steel and 360-degree TIG welded. They'll oulast everything else on the car....

As stated above, they're $135 shipped for the sleeves, but I also sell the Motorcraft OEM frame-side bushings for an additional $45 for the set.
Good deal Jay!

I'm not sure if this was already mentioned in the thread, the washers need to be opened up for these? Is this something you can do?

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #97 of 104 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 02:27 PM
1st Gear Poster

Sorry, beautiful work but that isn't going to happen. Pulled it apart and it was actually was in nice shape. The bushings even look pretty close to new. I love Grandpa owned, garage kept , Arizona cars cars. My collection of OEM bushings will wait for another time.
post #98 of 104 (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 02:45 AM
I make stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeo Joe View Post
Good deal Jay!

I'm not sure if this was already mentioned in the thread, the washers need to be opened up for these? Is this something you can do?

Joe
Yes sir. The holes in the forward washers need to be enlarged to 1" I.D. I can do that, if necessary, but I need the washers sent to me beforehand. I try to keep some in stock, to send out, but unfortunately, a lot people have forgotten to send me their originals as a core. Out of 10 sets of them, I think I only have 1 set left.
post #99 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 12:58 PM
PostWhore

@98mark8lsc , do these sell like hot cakes, or do you make these still? I *may* need a set when I get to this part of my suspension rebuild.

Also, is the $170 price for left and right, or just is per side?

'97 Bird, "Pearl": L/R 2.5in Magnaflow Hi-Flow CATs | PI Intake & PI Cams | Suspension Rebuild

'13 Taurus, "The Bull": 3.5L Goodness

'00 2dr v6 Accord, "Dirty Girl": Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | Greddy SP2 CAT-Back | Eibach ProKit springs | Eibach F/R Sway Bars | KYB-GR2 struts
post #100 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 01:20 PM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Looks like they're (sleeves) $135 and I do believe it's (2) for both sides.

Joe

post #101 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 01:36 PM
PostWhore

Yes, I was saying $170 because I will want to get bushings as well. I'm thinking it's $170 for both sides, but I'd like to be 100% sure so I know how much needs to be spent.

'97 Bird, "Pearl": L/R 2.5in Magnaflow Hi-Flow CATs | PI Intake & PI Cams | Suspension Rebuild

'13 Taurus, "The Bull": 3.5L Goodness

'00 2dr v6 Accord, "Dirty Girl": Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | Greddy SP2 CAT-Back | Eibach ProKit springs | Eibach F/R Sway Bars | KYB-GR2 struts
post #102 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 01:48 PM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Actually I think it's $180! $135 for the sleeves and then another $45 for the bushings.

Joe

post #103 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 08:18 PM

Hey ya'll. I need some help. My brothers are busy and my husband is not a car dude. I know more than he does. Anyway I need to buy the front lower control arms for both sides as well as the bushing for the control arm to strut. The ball joint on the passenger side looks blown out and the bushing from the strut arm is blown out too. It makes a noise like when someone is jumping on a bed or doing something else...... anyway it's quite embarrassing driving around town. Sometimes it does it and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it feels like I'm driving on ice and sometimes it acts just fine. I cannot do high speeds anymore cause it pulls the right something awful, especially when the brakes are applied. I almost was flung into a semi then the middle divider on the freeway. Thank God I am quick with the steering. Anywho sorry for the story but advice would help. Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0795.jpg (601.8 KB, 2 views)
post #104 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 08:18 PM
The Parts Guy

What exactly is the question?

Rod @ AzzKicker Cars
rodsv6cougar@cs.com
90 XR7-The Meth Addict-KB SC'd 5.0L DOHC Stroker
2004 Mustang GT-The Driver-Intake/Exhaust/3.73's
1995 F150 4x4-The Mud Toy-5.0L/4R70W/33's/Warn 8274 Winch
94 LX w/Splitport 3.8L from 2000 Mustang - SOLD
2 - 90 35th Anny Ed SC's
And a TON of parts cars!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.