1Likes
  • 1 Post By Woodman

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Garage
knocking and squeaking from left rear

https://youtu.be/IT-12Nr8aG4

It's coming from the spindle (or knuckle, I don't know what it's called), and it sounds bad. I dont know what it is, but i dont think its the CV axle. If someone could help me figure this out Id be very appreciative. Thanks
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 06:47 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
The knocking could be the CV axle, or it could be coming from the differential. It would be up to you to isolate it. The screeching could be the brakes or could be you roasted a wheel bearing. That too would be up to you to isolate. You can remove the brake caliper to see if the noise is still there. If it is, it could be the bearing which is inside the knuckle (the aluminum part that the 5-stud'ed wheel hub is installed into). If you remove the hub too, and can manage to suspend the half-shaft while it rotates, and the noise goes away, then its solely in the bearing. If it remains, then it could be the half-shaft. If you remove the half-shaft, and the noise goes away, then it was the half-shalft. If it continues, then it could be the differential. Process of elimination.

Oh, and the axle nut requires 250 ft-lbs of torque to reinstall. If you don't have the appropriate tools to tackle this, you might want to take it to a good mechanic.

Last edited by guitar maestro; 08-01-2016 at 07:04 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Garage
Thanks for the tips. Well, i popped the cover off the diff and nothing seems to be up there. And when it spins the opposite wheel (open diff, spins one at a time up in the air) theres no sound. So ill pull it apart to see if its the cv or the bearing or both. Thanks again
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 09:49 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar maestro View Post
The knocking could be the CV axle, or it could be coming from the differential. It would be up to you to isolate it. The screeching could be the brakes or could be you roasted a wheel bearing. That too would be up to you to isolate. You can remove the brake caliper to see if the noise is still there. If it is, it could be the bearing which is inside the knuckle (the aluminum part that the 5-stud'ed wheel hub is installed into). If you remove the hub too, and can manage to suspend the half-shaft while it rotates, and the noise goes away, then its solely in the bearing. If it remains, then it could be the half-shaft. If you remove the half-shaft, and the noise goes away, then it was the half-shalft. If it continues, then it could be the differential. Process of elimination.

Oh, and the axle nut requires 250 ft-lbs of torque to reinstall. If you don't have the appropriate tools to tackle this, you might want to take it to a good mechanic.
The spec is 198-245 lb/ft if I remember correctly. This will do the job.
1 2 in Drive Click Torque Wrench 25 250 ft lb TEKTON with Storage Case | eBay

It's also very handy for turning your motor over by hand.
CDsDontBurn likes this.

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 02:42 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Garage
Ok, another noise. This time I know its the outer CV joints, both sides. Its not a popping noise like how most CVs sound when they are going bad, it sounds more like a duck quaking. Im pretty sure its just the boots because they seem to vibrate a bit when I hear the sound (turned the axles by hand and ran a finger across the boot). Is this a sign of the CV boots going bad? Theres no puncture or grease around the boot either.

Lurking
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 08:50 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
That boot noise might just be because the suspension is drooped. As far as the original noise goes, remove the brake calipers and rotor and see if it still makes the noise. If it does, it is likely the wheel bearing.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90SC 5-speed, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, soon to be transplanted into...
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-70 Torino GT Fastback project car. Needs EFI and a manual trans, but I'm not sure what motor to go with yet.
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeyL View Post
As far as the original noise goes, remove the brake calipers and rotor and see if it still makes the noise. If it does, it is likely the wheel bearing.
I replaced both rear calipers and the noise went away. Still no clue exactly what it was. I have new stock height rear springs to go in, you think that'll fix it?

Lurking
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 09:51 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
When I said the suspension was drooped, I didn't mean anything about the spring height. I just meant you had the car jacked up with the wheel off, and so the suspension was unloaded, which means the axle was at significantly more of an angle than it would be at ride height. The 1-2" difference between stock springs and lowering springs isn't much, but the 6+" that it drops down when unloaded is significant.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90SC 5-speed, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, soon to be transplanted into...
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-70 Torino GT Fastback project car. Needs EFI and a manual trans, but I'm not sure what motor to go with yet.
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.