• 1 Post By CDsDontBurn
  • 1 Post By MaddMartigan
  • 1 Post By S4gunn
  • 1 Post By Robe

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Front UCA Forging, swappable?

Some of you may know already about my unfortunate driver side front UCA saga, which to summarize, since my birthday back in October, I've been getting the wrong part inside a box labeled for what I've been ordering, the ACDelco 45D1001. This unit is the front driver side UCA.

I am now on my 7th unit, and the issue, I've determined, is with ACDelco and not with the vendors. I've purchased from RockAuto, Amazon, and Summit all with the same issue; a box labeled ACDelco 45D1001 but something entirely different is in the box. Well, on this 7th unit I received I actually received a 45D1002, the front passenger side UCA. Everything else up until this one has been something else entirely from Mevotech, ACDelco value series, etc. I've already submitted a return request with RockAuto on this latest unit (where I ordered from again) and they've also accepted to refund the original passenger UCA 45D1002 from back in October.

This said, I've noticed that the 45D1001 and 45D1002 are basically the same hardware in terms of the arm and ball joint with the only difference is the orientation of the ball joint. If I were to have this ball joint on this 45D1002 I just received pressed out, flipped over, and pressed back in, this UCA will essentially be the 45D1001 I've been trying to order all this time. After talking to a friend of mine who owns a shop, he has has offered to press out / press in the ball joint for me if I can verify that the arm itself is otherwise identical, which to me appears to be so (I don't have them in front of me, but based on the pictures I've seen, this is what it looks like to me). This is where my questions comes in....

Are the left / right side UCAs identical in build with the orientation of the ball joint the only determining factor as to which side the UCA goes on? If so, would you guys go ahead and have my friend do this job for me or go with the refund of the ACDelco UCAs and get a different product all together?

'97 Bird, "Pearl": L/R 2.5in Magnaflow Hi-Flow CATs | PI Intake & PI Cams | Suspension Rebuild

'13 Taurus, "The Bull": 3.5L Goodness

'00 2dr v6 Accord, "Dirty Girl": Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | Greddy SP2 CAT-Back | Eibach ProKit springs | Eibach F/R Sway Bars | KYB-GR2 struts
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 06:44 AM

Garage
Sorry man, they aren't the same. To do what you're saying they would essentially be shaped like an equilateral triangle. Unfortunately they are closer to the idea of a right triangle.

Regarding pressing them out; I've tried that too. I didn't have any luck with my 20 ton press. I admit that I didn't try very hard but it sure didn't seem like it was moving at the least.

"When the only tool you have is a hammer, suddenly everything looks like a nail."
"Nothing is foolproof because fools are so ingenious."
1993 Ford Thunderbird LX
Coast High Peformance 342 Stroker
-Low Tension Oil Rings, Zero Gap Seconds
-10.5:1 Compression Ratio
Trick Flow Twisted Wedge heads
Trick Flow Stage 1 cam
Trick Flow Street Heat Intake
Mac 1 5/8 long tube headers
FRPP 42# injectors
3.73 gears
Custom aluminum driveshaft
Built Darrin/dirtyd0g AOD with wide ratio gearset
dirtyd0g 9.5" Custom Torque Converter
Quarterhorse ECM from Moates
Zeitronix ZT-2 WB O2
No times under new system.......yet.
OMGHI2U

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 09:01 PM
̇

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDsDontBurn
If so, would you guys go ahead and have my friend do this job for me or go with the refund of the ACDelco UCAs and get a different product all together?
IMO..I would just return the ACDelco UCAs for a refund..Not worth the aggravation..

Ford (Front Upper Control Arms) are still available new, so that would by my suggestion..
Takes out all the guesswork of finding a matching set of UCAs, or trying to press ball joints/bushings out/in..

PartsGeek.com is great when it comes to TRW/Ford parts for our cars..TRW being the OEM for Ford..

Here's a link to the TRW Front Upper Control Arms:

TRW Front Upper Control Arm (Left)
TRW Front Upper Control Arm (Right)

Rayo..

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there."George Harrison
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 10:11 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayo View Post
IMO..I would just return the ACDelco UCAs for a refund..Not worth the aggravation..

Ford (Front Upper Control Arms) are still available new, so that would by my suggestion..
Takes out all the guesswork of finding a matching set of UCAs, or trying to press ball joints/bushings out/in..

PartsGeek.com is great when it comes to TRW/Ford parts for our cars..TRW being the OEM for Ford..

Here's a link to the TRW Front Upper Control Arms:

TRW Front Upper Control Arm (Left)
TRW Front Upper Control Arm (Right)

Rayo..
Really, the only advantage of the AC Delco units is the greasable joint. Considering that the OEM units last 100,000 miles typically, and it's not an expensive part, and really only time consuming on the old pain in the butt to change meter, is it worth two whole months of dealing with AC Delco's crap?

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 10:32 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
IME the factory sealed uppers are good for 70K at best, if they hold up to 100K they probably have 50K of debris lodged under the long gone boots(in contrast my lowers are still stock tight and sealed at 100k+ miles). I can never keep track of who makes the fat arms with the universal ball joint(they were raybestos pro but they changed the hierarchy) but if those are what the AC delcos are now then the ball joint should be pressable, which is a minor advantage. None of the other OEM style designs can have the joints pressed out

-Matt
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 02:07 PM
The Parts Guy

As said on the FB page, I'd just order the better-grade Mevotech units and be done with it.

Rod @ AzzKicker Cars
rodsv6cougar@cs.com
90 XR7-The Meth Addict-KB SC'd 5.0L DOHC Stroker
2004 Mustang GT-The Driver-Intake/Exhaust/3.73's
1995 F150 4x4-The Mud Toy-5.0L/4R70W/33's/Warn 8274 Winch
94 LX w/Splitport 3.8L from 2000 Mustang - SOLD
2 - 90 35th Anny Ed SC's
And a TON of parts cars!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddMartigan View Post
Sorry man, they aren't the same. To do what you're saying they would essentially be shaped like an equilateral triangle. Unfortunately they are closer to the idea of a right triangle.

Regarding pressing them out; I've tried that too. I didn't have any luck with my 20 ton press. I admit that I didn't try very hard but it sure didn't seem like it was moving at the least.
45D1001 - Driver Side

45D1002 - Passenger Side

Left and right look entirely identical except that the casting is flipped. That said. Who can tell which one was flipped?

My cost to have this done was just $10. All the pics I see of all the other driver vs passenger side UCAs appear to have the same casting. With the ball joint orientation being the only determining factor of which side these are installed to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
Really, the only advantage of the AC Delco units is the greasable joint. Considering that the OEM units last 100,000 miles typically, and it's not an expensive part, and really only time consuming on the old pain in the butt to change meter, is it worth two whole months of dealing with AC Delco's crap?
If my above solution doesn't work out, I'll just eat the cost toss these entirely and get a new set of Mevotech or TRW / FoMoCo units as others have stated. If I end up eating the cost, It'll be one of those "learned the hard way" type of lessons for me. It's what I get for being persistent! :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by racecougar View Post
As said on the FB page, I'd just order the better-grade Mevotech units and be done with it.
I know. But I was also getting tired of having to ship stuff back and forth. Since I got the part from the manufacturer of the same series but wrong side, and the ball joint was pressable, I ended up just doing that so I wouldn't have to deal with it anymore.
Woodman likes this.

'97 Bird, "Pearl": L/R 2.5in Magnaflow Hi-Flow CATs | PI Intake & PI Cams | Suspension Rebuild

'00 2dr v6 Accord, "Dirty Girl": Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | Greddy SP2 CAT-Back | Eibach ProKit springs | Eibach F/R Sway Bars | KYB-GR2 struts
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 03:37 PM

Garage
Long story short; as-is they aren't flippable. If you can remove the ball joint and reinstall it then they are obviously flippable.

I actually managed to get the AC Delco ones correctly so, when/if the time comes, I should hopefully be able to get ball joints and press in new ones.
CDsDontBurn likes this.

"When the only tool you have is a hammer, suddenly everything looks like a nail."
1993 Ford Thunderbird LX
Trick Flow Stage 1 cam
FRPP 42# injectors
3.73 gears
Zeitronix ZT-2 WB O2
OMGHI2U

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 08:26 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
I looked at my front UCAs and on my driver side, it looks like the grease fitting was busted off at some point (I had slapped a piece of duct tape on top to prevent crap from getting in).

Since I'm planning to buy a grease gun in the next few days and grease up everything (it's amazing how many of my bits have grease fittings that I've just ignored, I'm thinking about replacing this fitting.

I could take off the driver side UCA but before I do so (since I don't think removing it will be necessary to replace this fitting unless I'm drilling it out...

Q: does anyone have any idea of the typical size of these grease fittings on front UCAs?

Two popular threadings available in the US are 1/4"-28 or 1/8" NPT.
I suspect it's 1/8" NPT since it looks smaller than the fitting on by brake but it could also be M6-1.0 as well (another fitting available from Rockauto).

Regards,
-g

UPDATE: nevermind. I got bored enough tonight that I loosened the nuts on the UCA and took a look myself. I measured a hole of .19" which means I can probably clean it up with a 1/4"-28 tap and screw that fitting right on.
Woodman likes this.

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

Last edited by S4gunn; 12-28-2016 at 12:18 AM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 11:04 AM
1st Gear Poster

Nice observation on the arms. I was able to get two passenger side acdelco's on Amazon for $18. Flipped one and installed this weekend, worked perfectly.
CDsDontBurn likes this.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 12:38 PM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robe View Post
Nice observation on the arms. I was able to get two passenger side acdelco's on Amazon for $18. Flipped one and installed this weekend, worked perfectly.
Did you press the ball joint out? Pictures?

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 03:47 PM
1st Gear Poster

I didn't take any pictures before I put it on. I pulled off the boot and snap ring. Then i used a hydraulic press to pushed it out, fipped it over and put it back together. I layed the old over the new and there was no difference that I could see. Bolted right back into place.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

The ACDelco Pro ball joints are available on RockAuto.

More Information for ACDELCO 45D0114

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 01:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDsDontBurn View Post
The ACDelco Pro ball joints are available on RockAuto.

More Information for ACDELCO 45D0114
The are also available on Amazon and are cheaper. Amazon ACDelco Pro ball joints

Also, great catch.

1993 Ford Thunderbird LX
Trick Flow Stage 1 cam
FRPP 42# injectors
3.73 gears
Zeitronix ZT-2 WB O2
OMGHI2U

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

For that price though, you might as well buy the whole control arm. Though, one would be risking the whole fiasco I came across of having to do 7 RMAs and 2 months time in order to get something "somewhat" correct in order to correct the manufacturer's mistake....

ACDelco 45D1001 Professional Front Driver Side Upper Suspension Control Arm and Ball Joint Assembly

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.