How do you retrieve Mark VIII air ride codes? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to coggonobrien Send a message via MSN to coggonobrien Send a message via Yahoo to coggonobrien
How do you retrieve Mark VIII air ride codes?

Also are the solenoids replaceable?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 08:09 AM
1st Gear Poster

The solenoids are replaceable, you can find them on the internet pretty easy usually around $50. As far as getting actual codes you need a very expensive star tester and its honestly not worth it. There is a test sequence you can run to help pin point your problems. What is the car doing?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 08:13 AM
1st Gear Poster

Here is information on the test you can run...

How can I test the Air Ride Function?

You can use a EEC-IV code scanner to run an automated test sequence on the air ride system.

1. Turn ignition on
2. Unplug test plug
3. Plug in reader
4. Flip switch to TEST
5. Tests run automatically

From a post by ekooke, here is the order of testing:

LF solenoid clicked open/close
RF solenoid clicked open/close
Rear solenoids clicked open/close
Compressor vent valve clicked
Compressor ran for a few seconds then shut off

Then the system did a height sensor test:
Compressor turned on, front valves clicked, and the front of car rose, valves clicked then the same thing(s) happened for the rear and the rear rose
Compressor turned off AND; vent valve clicked
Front solenoids clicked & front lowered
Rear solenoids clicked & rear lowered
There was a little clicking after that, but nothing noticeable happened (maybe vent valve).

Original thread here:
Thread about using code reader to test Air Ride

NOTE: There's really no output to the scanner; when the testing hits a fault, it just stops at that point. The operator monitoring the KNOWN testing sequence is what identifies the fault.
If you don't have access to a code reader, user "billcu" posted the following:
If you hold the connector with the open end of the plug facing you, the top row of terminals (from left to right) are pins 1, 2, 3, 4.
The bottom row are 5 and 6.

The wire color for pin 2 is W/LB.

Turn the key on, close the door, connect the test light from pin 2 to battery ground, and let the fun begin!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to coggonobrien Send a message via MSN to coggonobrien Send a message via Yahoo to coggonobrien
my car is having some random function's. some nights it will hold position all night, I will start it and it's fine. some nights hold position, start it and the front drops. some times the front drops as soon as I shut off. I have seen it overfill the rear and drop the front. Also seen it overfill all 4 corners. sometimes I get an air ride code while driving (compressor not running) and the car is at normal height.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 10:11 PM
1st Gear Poster

OK my car had the same kind of issues. My first thought was to replace both front bags. To my surprise I still had the same problems including the front end and rear dropping randomly, sometimes it sat like a monster truck, other times the front or rear would be too high, even had where the car would sit higher on the right side. Turns out the compressor vent had seized and the excess pressure that the car couldn't vent caused a small leak in my dryer. SO it sounded like the vent was working but it wasnt releasing air fast enough so the computer never thought the car was vented correctly and would stop at all random heights. Then to try and level itself out it would jack up the front and back to level out and couldn't vent out then it would sit at random heights. So that maybe your problem.

There is a couple ways to diagnose your car.

The First way is to turn the key on and off enough to get your car to ride height. Then turn the air ride switch off. You now took the whole system with the exception of the bags out of the loop. Now drive around for a while. If a bag is in pretty sorry shape the car will drop in the front or rear or at the very least will be noticably lower. Now atleast you know where to look. If its the front its usually the passenger side bag. Replace that then when it eventually drops again you can do the drivers side. Or buy both for 350 at autozone. If it drops in the rear buy both bags made by Westar on ebay for about $100.

The Second way is to cycle the key on and off until the car is at ride height. A good system will fill in 1-2 key cycles from laying totally on the ground. Now roll the drivers window down turn the key off get out and close the door. Go under the hood and hook up the jumper cable to the test port like I outlined in the other post reach through the window and turn the key on. If the car raises both the front and back and the test suddenly stops your compressor vent is bad like mine was.

Now the good news you can get a compressor off ebay for about $80 brand new, the company I got it from was Car Parts wholesale. Its Probably Chinese or Japanese made but so far its lasted 3 months with no issues. If you want you can send your original out ot be rebuilt for $250 by Eddie. Next the rear bags were $100 new and made by Westar I got them off eBay too. The front bags were the trick. If you sign up your email on Autozone's website they send you a 20% off coupon the same day usually. Now you can order a pair of New Westar front struts for $350. All Westar bags have a lifetime warranty. The only issue is the bottom bolt hole in the strut that attaches to the control arm is slightly smaller than it should be. I took the bolt to Lowes Hardware and got a drill bit that was slightly larger and drilled out the hole in the strut. They've never given me any trouble and have lasted a long time. Not to mention they ride great.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

ok thanks, may go the compressor route. I hate to put too much money into it since the car was bought for $400 with the intent being to drive it until something major happens then yank the motor and the rear end but $80 isn't getting too deep.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 04:34 PM
1st Gear Poster

Ill be honest, you can put well over 200k on these cars so dont sweat it. Also if you think about it $175 for a strut, spring, and mount really isnt much, and thats what youre buying when you get the air strut.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Car is getting parted out if anybody needs anything

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.