SN95 Cobra Springs: Putting the myth to rest. - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Garage
SN95 Cobra Springs: Putting the myth to rest.

I am both elated and terrified to report that the SN95 Cobra springs DO, in fact, fit.

HOWEVER!!!!!! Its not a pleasant sight.

I'd like to confirm the speculation and previous research performed by those that have come before. (Click here for reference.)
-The rear springs have similar dimensions to the stock MN12 springs. The rears are a direct bolt in replacement, though as mentioned, thunderbirds use a progressive rate spring and the Cobra does not.
-The fronts won't even be close. They're shorter, wider and even if they did fit their spring rate will be far too high for MN12's coilover placement. While they do "bolt in" to the struts, and still fit into the spring isolators, albeit are slightly smaller in outer diameter, they are considerably shorter than the stock MN12 springs. In fact, when using the wall mounted spring compressor at work to swap them, hardly any compression was needed to install the top hat nut.

While I do not have pictures currently, (i forgot my phone at home today :/ ) I can safely say the front of the car is easily 4 inches lower than stock and the rear is either stock height or slightly higher. As reference, the front fender is about half inch higher than the tire tread. With this information, I don't believe it unreasonable to use Cobra fronts and an adjustable rear coilover setup designed for a Cobra (since the shocks are bolt in) to even the height, though custom spring rates may be advised. Heck, as is, this could be a cheap suspension alternative for someone trying to get into drag racing.

I will make sure to take pictures when I head into work tomorrow, but it looks silly without fancy wheels and tires...which may be the next step for this bird, not sure...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170302_191702.jpg (3.67 MB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170302_191726.jpg (2.94 MB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170302_191747.jpg (2.98 MB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170302_192524.jpg (3.66 MB, 24 views)

1995 Thunderbird LX - 130,000 miles. Purchased for $350 from the bad side of town.
2015 Fiesta SE - 24000 miles. Purchased after my Trailblazer set itself ablaze...

Last edited by Combatspace; 03-02-2017 at 09:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Garage
Updated OP with pictures.

1995 Thunderbird LX - 130,000 miles. Purchased for $350 from the bad side of town.
2015 Fiesta SE - 24000 miles. Purchased after my Trailblazer set itself ablaze...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 10:52 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 from the other thread View Post
No.
Yep, No.

-Matt

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Garage
So having driven the car for a few days now, I've found a few quirks with this setup.

Supporting mods and work done in addition to the cobra springs"
-17x9" Cobra R style wheels
-Front tires 215/55R17 Michelin
-Rear Tires 235/65R17 Continental
-Adjusted Toe to -0.02deg front and ~0.08deg rear (as close to recommended spec by alignment machine as possible)
-Front Camber set to ~-1.5deg for tire clearance
-Rear Camber set to ~0.0deg
-Caster is not worth worrying about IMO with this much rake, so I let it be. Cannot recall the measurement

-It handles about how one would expect a car looking like this to handle. Front end tends to dart, producing a lack of confidence in high speed turns.
-The car has not bottomed out in normal conditions, though I've been making an effort to avoid potholes for the sake of my new power steering rack.
-With the stock 3.27 open diff and ~29" tires in the rear, acceleration has suffered (though that's probably good for keeping me out of trouble)
-Front end bounces just a bit, though some performance shocks up front should be able to handle the height and spring rate.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 01:58 AM
PostWhore

Garage
From a handling standpoint, there is such a thing as being too low. At this ride height
- On flat ground, I'm sure the LCAs are aimed upwards instead of being parallel with the ground; this is going to cause all sorts of strange camber changes as the car moves up and down and changes while the car is steering (ackerman angle IIRC). This probably explains the dartiness.
- If the goal is to homebrew a cheapie setup (and $28 650lb-in QA1 springs are too spendy) or just be different, I suspect you can try to raise the ride height of the vehicle by raising the bottom spring perch. You could even stiffen the spring here by increasing the # of "dead coils" aka the coils which aren't doing anything because they are already compressed.

Oh, you could also cut the rear coils to lower the ride height so the tbird looks like less of a doorstop.
While the rears might be an option, I think there are plenty of options for front springs.

-g

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.