Best Suspension Package - Page 3 - TCCoA Forums

48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 180 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 10:51 PM
Kind of slapped together

Umm ...

You DO know you can compress / swap the spring with the whole assembly off the car, right? In which case, you can use the compressors on both sides, right?

RwP

Fuelly
post #62 of 180 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 12:32 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikutoisahobo View Post
Posted a wanted thread for an Addco 1 1/4. But I'll probably end up buying one from SCP.

Note to everyone. The tech article on rear swaybar sizes is correct for the 97 Thunderbird 4.6. .96 inches or 24.5mm. I checked with the digital caliper I bought just a few hours ago. Don't know why all listed rear swaybar bushings for a TBird are ~27mm. Which is way too big, almost worse than having a worn out bushing on there lol

Also a little progress shot. Got the spring and shock in at one side. The old spring was a b**** to take out with even a compressor, I could only get one compressor on anyways since there's no room to put another one and actually tighten it. Putting the Vogtland was easy without a compressor. I reused the isolator, seemed good enough to me. Noticed the rear toe compensator bushing is squuezing out, it's worn out, but looks like a b**** to take out.
1) I don't recall it being hard to pull springs when the car is at full droop (outer UCA bult disconnected as well.
2) You can pop the rear toe comps out with the rest of the suspension in place. I recently did it. You just disconnect the forward bolt on the inner LCA and do a little prying.

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)
post #63 of 180 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphP View Post
Umm ...

You DO know you can compress / swap the spring with the whole assembly off the car, right? In which case, you can use the compressors on both sides, right?

RwP
I'm talking about the rear suspension, not the front lol. Sorry, should've been mkre descriptive.

Also, S4Gunn, I didn't unbolt the UCA, didn't even touch it, but I bet that would've helped a crap ton. I might do that on the other side. The toe comps, I think I'll need more detail on those.
post #64 of 180 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 10:41 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Garage
Oh, when I swapped out my rear springs, I had to disconnect the LCA at the two INTERIOR-most mounting points to be able to get it out. I'm sure some spring compressors would have helped, but the only kind we have at the the shop is a wall mounted one...had to get creative with the 3rd Arms and the lift.

1995 Thunderbird LX - 130,000 miles. Purchased for $350 from the bad side of town.
2015 Fiesta SE - 24000 miles. Purchased after my Trailblazer set itself ablaze...
post #65 of 180 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 11:54 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
I don't know what everyone's problem is with the rear springs. Remove the lower knuckle to control arm bolts, disconnect the sway bar end link, then remove the lower shock bolt while supporting the underside of the control arm with a jack. Next lower the jack to release the spring pressure, use one prybar to push down on the control arm while you use another to pry the spring out.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90SC 5-speed, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, soon to be transplanted into...
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-70 Torino GT Fastback project car. Needs EFI and a manual trans, but I'm not sure what motor to go with yet.
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #66 of 180 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeyL View Post
I don't know what everyone's problem is with the rear springs. Remove the lower knuckle to control arm bolts, disconnect the sway bar end link, then remove the lower shock bolt while supporting the underside of the control arm with a jack. Next lower the jack to release the spring pressure, use one prybar to push down on the control arm while you use another to pry the spring out.
That was the plan. But that spring is way too big, a compressor was necessary to take it out, even with a compressor we had to do a bit of pulling and pushing.
post #67 of 180 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 01:46 PM
Kind of slapped together

Quote:
That was the plan. But that spring is way too big, a compressor was necessary to take it out, even with a compressor we had to do a bit of pulling and pushing.
You didn't loosen the inner bolts (enough).

After loosening the inner bolts (front and rear), if the spring doesn't fall out when you push down on the LCA, you can stomp on it once and the spring will literally just fall out on you.

(Helps that the LCA can pivot up to 75* or so, with the bolts loose.)

RwP

Fuelly
post #68 of 180 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 02:39 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
+1 I don't even own a spring compressor, never had a problem getting them out. Getting stock height springs IN is another matter but I'd never do that

-Matt
post #69 of 180 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 02:55 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Garage
Quote:

After loosening the inner bolts (front and rear), if the spring doesn't fall out when you push down on the LCA, you can stomp on it once and the spring will literally just fall out on you.

RwP
Probably a noob question but wont loosening the inner bolts on the LCA throw off the toe and camber in the rear?

Lurking
post #70 of 180 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote Jr. View Post
Quote:

RwP
Probably a noob question but wont loosening the inner bolts on the LCA throw off the toe and camber in the rear?
This is what I thought. I was going to get an alignment done anyway but I figured I didn't wanna get myself in that mess. I didn't touch the inner LCA bolts at all.
post #71 of 180 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Also got the Energy Suspension endlinks. They're shorter than the original ones but I figured since my car is sitting lower now that it won't be an issue. But the swaybar kinda scrubs on the parking brake cable assembly. Is that normal, I didn't bother noticing if it did that with the stock links.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170430_131930_1493584783785.jpg (3.63 MB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170430_130802_1493584868348.jpg (576.7 KB, 5 views)
post #72 of 180 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 03:50 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
That's normal, the cables rub when stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote Jr. View Post
Putting in lowering springs will throw off the toe and camber in the rear anyway

But you're half right, camber adjustment is only effected by the UCA inner pivot, which you won't be touching, the LCA inner pivot only adjusts toe. If all you're doing is taking the spring out and putting it back in for whatever reason you should mark the frame and eccentric washer before disassembly and simply line up the marks during retightening to retain alignment.

FWIW I never needed to loosen them when doing springs, I just push down on the arm using my foot

-Matt

Last edited by XR7-4.6; 04-30-2017 at 03:56 PM.
post #73 of 180 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 04:13 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
camber adjustment is only effected by the UCA inner pivot, which you won't be touching, the LCA inner pivot only adjusts toe.
Oh ok. I have seen what looks like a camber bolt on the rear LCA pivot so I made it a point to to mess with those too much.

Would you happen to know what degree camber the rear has stock? I noticed on my old rear tires that most of the wear was on the inside, and alot of the birds I have seen for sale do the same.

Lurking
post #74 of 180 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 04:28 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
It's a Cam bolt, which isn't short for Camber bolt.

Most alignment places won't perform 4 wheel alignments on these unless you remind them that they're adjustable back there, and your average non-enthusiast owner usually is oblivious to it as well, so as they rack up miles all the wear and tear is never compensated for, ergo irregular rear tire wear. Spring sag or broken springs will result in camber gain, wearing the inside edge.

Problem is, being in New Jersey, like here in Illinois, this is what you may face if you don't mess with it much...

This is also a reason shops sometimes won't do rear alignments on these, if they're seized up after a lifetime of never being touched, they basically need to carefully grind/cut them out, and even after they do you can't get them new, and used from a junkyard from the same locale won't be any better.

Big shoutout to jco1385 for finding me a set

-Matt

Last edited by XR7-4.6; 04-30-2017 at 04:33 PM.
post #75 of 180 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 04:59 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Garage
Quote:
It's a Cam bolt, which isn't short for Camber bolt.

Most alignment places won't perform 4 wheel alignments on these unless you remind them that they're adjustable back there, and your average non-enthusiast owner usually is oblivious to it as well, so as they rack up miles all the wear and tear is never compensated for, ergo irregular rear tire wear. Spring sag or broken springs will result in camber gain, wearing the inside edge.

Problem is, being in New Jersey, like here in Illinois, this is what you may face if you don't mess with it much...

This is also a reason shops sometimes won't do rear alignments on these, if they're seized up after a lifetime of never being touched, they basically need to carefully grind/cut them out, and even after they do you can't get them new, and used from a junkyard from the same locale won't be any better.

Big shoutout to jco1385 for finding me a set
Im trying to follow what all these bolts do, solid axle trucks arent this difficult.

So the UCA or the LCA will adjust camber? If just the UCA what exactly does the cam bolt in the rear of LCA adjust?

Lurking
post #76 of 180 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 05:01 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Toe. UCA is camber.
Wile E. Coyote Jr. likes this.

-Matt
post #77 of 180 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 05:07 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Garage
Quote:
Toe. UCA is camber.
Alright. not trying to sound like a ditz I just haven't messed with that stuff yet.
Woodman likes this.

Lurking
post #78 of 180 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Looking for swaybar bushings for the stock rear bar, going with the 24.5mm measurement for the diameter.
Should these work? I don't see why not but maybe you guys know better. They're for a Lancer Evo, but seem like it shouldn't be an issue fitting.
http://superpro.suspension.parts/spf2073-24.5k

Let me know what you guys think.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot_20170430-180553_1493600891937.png (654.6 KB, 5 views)
post #79 of 180 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 08:55 PM
Kind of slapped together

Did you actually measure the sway bar?

Take some twine, wrap it around the bar right by a bushing.

Mark both parts of the twine where it crosses.

Take the twine out, measure the distance between the two marks, divide by 3.14, get the next smallest bushing.

Problem solved.

Also, are the OUTSIDE dimensions compatible with your sway bar brackets? I have no idea if they are or aren't.

RwP

Fuelly
post #80 of 180 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Did you actually measure the sway bar?

Take some twine, wrap it around the bar right by a bushing.

Mark both parts of the twine where it crosses.

Take the twine out, measure the distance between the two marks, divide by 3.14, get the next smallest bushing.

Problem solved.

Also, are the OUTSIDE dimensions compatible with your sway bar brackets? I have no idea if they are or aren't.

RwP
Yeah I stated in an earlier reply that I measured it with a digital caliper. 24.577mm and 0.96 inches which matches up with the tech article. My concern was the outside measurements as well, but from the looks of it, it seems fine. Can't seem to find dimensions for the outside. I could just order them and find out I guess....since it seems like no one actually replaced their rear swaybar bushings but instead went the ADDCO route.
post #81 of 180 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 09:19 PM
PostWhore

Garage
So I've noticed my rear suspension with the Mark VIII aluminum LCA's rides a little lower than the front. Anyone have a link to the correct spring isolator to put in to give it just a 1/4" or so more lift in the rear?

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.
post #82 of 180 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 09:43 PM
Kind of slapped together

Quote:
Yeah I stated in an earlier reply that I measured it with a digital caliper. 24.577mm and 0.96 inches which matches up with the tech article. My concern was the outside measurements as well, but from the looks of it, it seems fine. Can't seem to find dimensions for the outside. I could just order them and find out I guess....since it seems like no one actually replaced their rear swaybar bushings but instead went the ADDCO route.
Actually, there were pics of the Energy Suspension units bolted into a MN10/FN12 earlier in the thread.

That, with a bracket to hold the rear nut, is what a lot of people have used.

RwP

Fuelly
post #83 of 180 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 10:15 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Looking for swaybar bushings for the stock rear bar, going with the 24.5mm measurement for the diameter.
Should these work? I don't see why not but maybe you guys know better. They're for a Lancer Evo, but seem like it shouldn't be an issue fitting.
SuperPro SPF2073-24.5K Rear Sway Bar Bushings - 24.5mm (0.96 inch). SuperPro SPF2073-24.5K

Let me know what you guys think.
These bushings may not fit the brackets, they appear to be both too short and too wide. Just get the Energy suspensions, they're $20

-Matt
post #84 of 180 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 01:06 AM
1st Gear Poster

Getting a good handle on what I need to do thanks to all of the folks that have posted!!

I do enjoy a fast drive through the curved roads on occasion. 89/95 both will need all new suspension.

Wondering if the factory replacement Tokio adjustable shocks are worth the coin?
Thanks,
Creighton
ikutoisahobo likes this.

Just keeping the history on the road.

Last edited by Creighton; 05-01-2017 at 01:13 AM. Reason: can't spell.
post #85 of 180 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
So I've noticed my rear suspension with the Mark VIII aluminum LCA's rides a little lower than the front. Anyone have a link to the correct spring isolator to put in to give it just a 1/4" or so more lift in the rear?
Everyone is recommending the Prothane 6-1709 for the rear isolator. Two sets needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creighton View Post
Getting a good handle on what I need to do thanks to all of the folks that have posted!!

I do enjoy a fast drive through the curved roads on occasion. 89/95 both will need all new suspension.

Wondering if the factory replacement Tokio adjustable shocks are worth the coin?
Thanks,
Creighton
Some say the ARC Tokico Illuminas are too soft in their comfort setting and they just leave it in the stiff setting. If that's truly the case I'd just get the Tokico HP Blues. I don't think it's worth the coin unless you have an SC and want to retain the feature.
Woodman likes this.
post #86 of 180 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 11:22 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
Quote:
Everyone is recommending the Prothane 6-1709 for the rear isolator. Two sets needed.
This, @Woodman
Woodman and ikutoisahobo like this.

'97 Bird, "Pearl": L/R 2.5in Magnaflow Hi-Flow CATs | PI Intake & PI Cams | Suspension Rebuild

'13 Taurus, "The Bull": 3.5L Goodness

'00 2dr v6 Accord, "Dirty Girl": Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | Greddy SP2 CAT-Back | Eibach ProKit springs | Eibach F/R Sway Bars | KYB-GR2 struts
post #87 of 180 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 12:50 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDsDontBurn View Post
This, @Woodman
One in the upper perch, one in the lower on each side? Or double them up in the lower perch?

2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.
post #88 of 180 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
One in the upper perch, one in the lower on each side? Or double them up in the lower perch?
One in the upper and one on the lower. So basically just like the stock isolators, just replace them with these.
Woodman likes this.
post #89 of 180 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 06:04 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
One in the upper and one on the lower. So basically just like the stock isolators, just replace them with these.
Thanks!

post #90 of 180 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Since everyone insisted on the 24mm (15/16") Energy Suspension swaybar bushings, I went ahead and ordered them.

Energy Suspension 9.5160R is what I ordered. I don't know how I'll make that sandwich plate thing that Matt posted, I think some washers would do the trick in between the bushing and the frame as well as on top, don't you think? Also is there any drilling or something involved to get the other bolt in where the notch for the stock bracket would be?

or I could do what S4Gunn did and just use the stock brackets if they work just fine.
CDsDontBurn likes this.

Last edited by ikutoisahobo; 05-01-2017 at 06:17 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.