Best Suspension Package - Page 4 - TCCoA Forums

48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 180 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 11:55 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikutoisahobo View Post
Since everyone insisted on the 24mm (15/16") Energy Suspension swaybar bushings, I went ahead and ordered them.

Energy Suspension 9.5160R is what I ordered. I don't know how I'll make that sandwich plate thing that Matt posted, I think some washers would do the trick in between the bushing and the frame as well as on top, don't you think? Also is there any drilling or something involved to get the other bolt in where the notch for the stock bracket would be?

or I could do what S4Gunn did and just use the stock brackets if they work just fine.
1) Stock brackets is easiest.
2) A washer + nut on top would also work but the advantage of a bracket with a nut welded to it is that you won't need a wrench on the top nut when you are undoing the bolt (the bracket will hit the subframe lip and won't let you spin it around forever). Whether or not you need a bolt all depends on how big a bolt you are using.
-g

You can just call me Gunn BTW -- it's really my name and I haven't driven my S4 in years -- my wife mostly uses it now).

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)
post #92 of 180 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 09:39 AM
Kind of slapped together

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4gunn View Post
1)You can just call me Gunn BTW -- it's really my name and I haven't driven my S4 in years -- my wife mostly uses it now).
First name Peter?

RwP
Woodman likes this.

Fuelly
post #93 of 180 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 01:04 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphP View Post
First name Peter?

RwP
Duh nuh nun nun nun nun nun nun nun nuuh
Duhn dunh

PS. GTW, this is a generational cultural marker. You probably know this from the tv show. I only just realized that this was a TV show (thanks Wikipedia). I assume most people in my general age band (maybe no younger than MadMikey/Ddubb) will recognize it from the 80s arcade classic Spy Hunter.
Woodman likes this.

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)
post #94 of 180 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 04:33 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

I barely remember it as a show, but the theme was recognizable, even as a kid.

I remember seeing "The Prisoner" in '68 on cable, few people saw that until way later.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

I'm not Human enough to be human; but I'm trying to fit in, and I'm learning to fake it.

"Never said Hibbity..." - Brian Williams
post #95 of 180 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 05:21 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
I remember it from The Blues Brothers. I played Spy Hunter all the time as a kid at a now long demolished ice cream shop in downtown Roselle, but the sound was either low or disabled on the machine, so I never connected that theme to it.
Woodman likes this.

-Matt
post #96 of 180 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 06:34 PM

Weezers' 'Hash Pipe' is "Close, but Better", lol.

OK, I can't leave this out:

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

I'm not Human enough to be human; but I'm trying to fit in, and I'm learning to fake it.

post #97 of 180 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

I can't relate to any of that since I'm just a 19 year old kid.

Also thanks, Gunn, Ralph, CDsDontBurn and XR7, and all of you guys for helping me out here.
I'll probably use the stock brackets, clean up the swaybar really good, slap some sili-grease on there and the bushing liberally and call it done on the swaybar. It's easy as heck to get to, and I'm not concerned about some swaybar squeaks. I've got bigger clunks in the front suspension to worry about after I'm done with the rear. I'll probably need strut rod bushings....I think front swaybar endlinks were done two years ago, and so were the front UCAs, now the time has come for the front LCAs and probably every bushing in the front....oh well, we'll find out this weekend.
CDsDontBurn and Creighton like this.
post #98 of 180 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 05:35 AM
Kind of slapped together

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4gunn View Post
Duhn dunh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oysMt8iL9UE

PS. GTW, this is a generational cultural marker. You probably know this from the tv show. I only just realized that this was a TV show (thanks Wikipedia). I assume most people in my general age band (maybe no younger than MadMikey/Ddubb) will recognize it from the 80s arcade classic Spy Hunter.
It might be; I remember watching reruns on TV when I was a wee sprog. (Or maybe first runs, dunno.)

Some of the other shows I've tried to catch, however, were from finding out about them as I got older.

RwP

Fuelly
post #99 of 180 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 05:37 AM
Kind of slapped together

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post
I barely remember it as a show, but the theme was recognizable, even as a kid.

I remember seeing "The Prisoner" in '68 on cable, few people saw that until way later.
"The Prisoner" and its predecessor, "Secret Agent Man".

I don't know if you realize it, but we're getting OLD *grins*

I even remember the pre-Phelps "Mission:Impossible".

(Talk about a combo - the show came from the opening, which came from the theme song, which came from ... a couple of guys fiddling around with a bass and a piano!)

RwP
Grog6 likes this.

Fuelly
post #100 of 180 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:
I can't relate to any of that since I'm just a 19 year old kid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphP View Post
"The Prisoner" and its predecessor, "Secret Agent Man".

I don't know if you realize it, but we're getting OLD *grins*

I even remember the pre-Phelps "Mission:Impossible".

(Talk about a combo - the show came from the opening, which came from the theme song, which came from ... a couple of guys fiddling around with a bass and a piano!)

RwP
These guys missed Cartoon Violence, "Where's dat bunny rabbit I saw on TV last week? I will hug him and kiss him and call him 'George'", The Pink Panther, OG Trek, The Mercury, Geminii, and Apollo launches on live TV, Neil Freaking Armstrong, (RIP), The Smothers Brothers, Laugh-In, The Trek Cartoon, UFO, Space:1999, OG Battlestar Galactica...

What did I miss?

Last edited by Grog6; 05-03-2017 at 06:50 PM.
post #101 of 180 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 05:48 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Hey I watched the old Loony Toons when I was a kid, and I saw all of the Peter Sellers Pink Panther movies(my Mom was a huge fan of them) before I was 19. We're not all so sheltered from the past!

I didn't like any era of Star Trek, I was a Star Wars(original trilogy) kid!

-Matt
post #102 of 180 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 06:01 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Garage
^ Besides Looney Toons and Pink Panther I have no idea what any of that is. Well, Trek I know about but never actually watched.

Lurking
post #103 of 180 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 06:57 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Not even the Apollo launches? I never saw them but I sure know what they were

Just curious, which loony tunes and pink panthers are you familiar with? The originals or the more modern reboots(Pink Panther with Steve Martin)? The originals were far better and less sanitized. Don't bog yourselves down with generational identity, anything new in entertainment is often rehashed from something truly groundbreaking in the past.

God damn did this thread go off topic
Woodman and CDsDontBurn like this.

-Matt
post #104 of 180 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 07:16 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Garage
The original pink panther. I know of launches, just forgot to mention those. I watched a few things on the history channel about it and WWII when I was younger. I dont know about whats on now, I don't watch TV anymore and the only thing I listen to is my playlist on youtube. I only know a tiny bit of the old stuff cause cartoon network would play old cartoons midday.

Lurking

Last edited by Wile E. Coyote Jr.; 05-03-2017 at 07:31 PM. Reason: forgot a word.
post #105 of 180 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Okay let me bring you guys back on topic with a few questions!

Are the Duralast (Autozone) Strut Rod Bushings also made of that thermoplastic stuff that's ?crap for those bushings?

Duralast FA1771 is the part number for the frame to rod bushings. They seem like they're regular old rubber, but I'm judging based on pictures lol. Maybe some of you have used them?

The Duralast FA7193 is the part number for the rod to control arm bushings and those are stated as Rubber in the specs. Assuming the frame to rod ones are as well.

If not then what's the best and cheapest source for the Ford bushings.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot_20170503-204122_1493869334342.png (338.4 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by ikutoisahobo; 05-03-2017 at 10:51 PM.
post #106 of 180 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 10:50 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
I have heard of mythical rubber bushings at parts stores but it seems like every time someone rolls the dice they end up being thermoplastic.

-Matt
post #107 of 180 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 08:54 AM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Okay let me bring you guys back on topic with a few questions!

Are the Duralast (Autozone) Strut Rod Bushings also made of that thermoplastic stuff that's ?crap for those bushings?

Duralast FA1771 is the part number for the frame to rod bushings. They seem like they're regular old rubber, but I'm judging based on pictures lol. Maybe some of you have used them?

The Duralast FA7193 is the part number for the rod to control arm bushings and those are stated as Rubber in the specs. Assuming the frame to rod ones are as well.

If not then what's the best and cheapest source for the Ford bushings.
As mentioned above, the thermoplastic "MIGHT" work out ok if you use washers to retain them like the OEM rubbers did.

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.
post #108 of 180 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 09:15 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
Not even the Apollo launches? I never saw them but I sure know what they were

Just curious, which loony tunes and pink panthers are you familiar with? The originals or the more modern reboots(Pink Panther with Steve Martin)? The originals were far better and less sanitized. Don't bog yourselves down with generational identity, anything new in entertainment is often rehashed from something truly groundbreaking in the past.
I'm an 80's kid. I grew up in the era of the Transformers, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Thundercats, Inspector Gadget, Richie Rich, Scooby Do, and Alf. It's all I can remember.

Quote:
God damn did this thread go off topic
Well, you can just rename this thread to "Best Suspension Package & Epic Original Shows"

'97 Bird, "Pearl": L/R 2.5in Magnaflow Hi-Flow CATs | PI Intake & PI Cams | Suspension Rebuild

'13 Taurus, "The Bull": 3.5L Goodness

'00 2dr v6 Accord, "Dirty Girl": Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | Greddy SP2 CAT-Back | Eibach ProKit springs | Eibach F/R Sway Bars | KYB-GR2 struts
post #109 of 180 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
As mentioned above, the thermoplastic "MIGHT" work out ok if you use washers to retain them like the OEM rubbers did.
Do the aftermarket (Moog, Mevotech, etc) not have washers? They seem like they come with washers as well.

Are the original washers not used in the aftermarket applications?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98mark8lsc View Post
Just because this can't be posted enough, I'm going to go ahead and leave these pictures here (of an actual MN12/FN10 front strut rod) for future reference...

post #110 of 180 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Question:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg frontbushings.jpg (614.3 KB, 3 views)
post #111 of 180 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 02:31 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
The moogs and the like do not have that cup like washer. I personally suspect that may be a key to longevity if it can be salvaged off the old bushings, which it is bonded to.

-Matt
post #112 of 180 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
The moogs and the like do not have that cup like washer. I personally suspect that may be a key to longevity if it can be salvaged off the old bushings, which it is bonded to.
Aw, shit. If they're bonded then they're probably going to be impossible to get off properly. Is there any other OEM options besides the 180 dollar kit that SCP sells?

I guess I should just go OEM right now, I'll try to salvage the cup like washers and maybe build a set using Moogs to either sell or use at a later time as an experiment or something. But I can't take the front end apart and not have anything to replace it with.
post #113 of 180 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 04:20 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
I just changed a set of these out for someone on SCCoA, and upon taking it apart, I think the major issue is not the washers or the bushings, but the sleeves that come with them. His car is not driven much, and not beat on either, and within probably a few thousand miles, they were deforming and giving him issues. The sleeves that come with them are a split design, and are cheap malleable metal, so just from the suspension cycling, both sides had twisted and bent up, which caused the bushings to deform and start to tear in those areas. While I still think the aftermarket ones will fatigue and fail eventually, I suspect that if they were used with a set of Jay's stainless steel sleeves, and perhaps the OEM washers, they might give a reasonable service life. I'm not about to try it on my own car just yet, but if someone is experimenting, I think that would be worth a try.

Woodman likes this.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90SC 5-speed, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, soon to be transplanted into...
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-70 Torino GT Fastback project car. Needs EFI and a manual trans, but I'm not sure what motor to go with yet.
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #114 of 180 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 04:30 PM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Is there any other OEM options besides the 180 dollar kit that SCP sells?
Other than piece meal the parts from eBay, if you can find them. You have the part numbers from the pictures above. Jay's sleeves go for $135 then add in the cost of the bushings, you're right at what SCP is looking for.

Joe
CDsDontBurn likes this.

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #115 of 180 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Seems like too critical of a component to skimp on. I'd love to spend 30-40 bucks and call it done but I guess I'll have to go the $$$$$ route. Couldn't any of the aftermarket guys think about just REPLICATING the factory bushings....?

Also any leads on a cheaper alternative to buying from TBSC?
post #116 of 180 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 05:55 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeyL View Post
I just changed a set of these out for someone on SCCoA, and upon taking it apart, I think the major issue is not the washers or the bushings, but the sleeves that come with them. His car is not driven much, and not beat on either, and within probably a few thousand miles, they were deforming and giving him issues. The sleeves that come with them are a split design, and are cheap malleable metal, so just from the suspension cycling, both sides had twisted and bent up, which caused the bushings to deform and start to tear in those areas. While I still think the aftermarket ones will fatigue and fail eventually, I suspect that if they were used with a set of Jay's stainless steel sleeves, and perhaps the OEM washers, they might give a reasonable service life. I'm not about to try it on my own car just yet, but if someone is experimenting, I think that would be worth a try.

I don't entirely disagree but that sleeve looks like it may have deformed from overtightening from the getgo, you can see where the sleeve compressed at the caster nut, and twisted from the continual torque applied(it is a clockwise twist afterall). The torque spec probably shouldn't be as high as stock there, and I think that contributes to premature failure as well.

I have to imagine a generic solid tube can be obtained, just cut to length. I still think the cupped washer would help under braking, while the sleeve deformation probably happens under articulation.

Quote:
Aw, shit. If they're bonded then they're probably going to be impossible to get off properly. Is there any other OEM options besides the 180 dollar kit that SCP sells?

I guess I should just go OEM right now, I'll try to salvage the cup like washers and maybe build a set using Moogs to either sell or use at a later time as an experiment or something. But I can't take the front end apart and not have anything to replace it with.
Well it's on the very back of the bushing so it could probably be burned out pretty easily

-Matt
post #117 of 180 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

New question. Disregard Aftermarket bushings entirely.

How can I get OEM bushings for less than tBSC shop lol, 180 is gonna be the single most expensive part in my suspension setup besides the springs which were 220.
post #118 of 180 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 10:41 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
buy the bushings posted in the sticky from Ford and reuse your stock sleeves. Should be no problem with rust in your climate, SS is mostly useful to those of us in inclement areas

-Matt
post #119 of 180 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 09:26 AM
PostWhore

Stock sleeves are reusable?! I thought they weren't!

'97 Bird, "Pearl": L/R 2.5in Magnaflow Hi-Flow CATs | PI Intake & PI Cams | Suspension Rebuild

'13 Taurus, "The Bull": 3.5L Goodness

'00 2dr v6 Accord, "Dirty Girl": Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | Greddy SP2 CAT-Back | Eibach ProKit springs | Eibach F/R Sway Bars | KYB-GR2 struts
post #120 of 180 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
buy the bushings posted in the sticky from Ford and reuse your stock sleeves. Should be no problem with rust in your climate, SS is mostly useful to those of us in inclement areas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDsDontBurn View Post
Stock sleeves are reusable?! I thought they weren't!
Yeah I was under the impression that we couldn't use the stock sleeves and that's why they were part of that kit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.