TCCoA Forums banner

New suspension

4K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  SHADOW 
#1 · (Edited)
Replaced pretty much everything. Upper and lower control arms with ball joints, inner and outer tie rods, sway bar end links, strut rod bushings, struts..... New rotors waiting to go on this week...

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
the brake caliper is kinda useless without the rotor.........lol

rotors are the drilled and slotted rock auto ones I mentioned in another post...that im drilling out.....

struts are nothing special, rockauto monroes, about 40 each, with my eibach springs

would love to complete my new motor but still have no clue how to bring it home from Prestons.......working on it

#10 ·
the brake caliper is kinda useless without the rotor.........lol

rotors are the drilled and slotted rock auto ones I mentioned in another post...that I'm drilling out.....

struts are nothing special, rock-auto Monroes, about 40 each, with my Eibach springs

would love to complete my new motor but still have no clue how to bring it home from Prestons.......working on it
Wow! Didn't know you had a motor sitting at Preston's. Yea, that's a problem. Best wishes getting it back to the Carolina's.

What's the story with that engine?

#12 ·
How easy is it to remove the shock/spring combo?
It's not easy by any means, you have to disconnect the LCA to get it out of there. It is a job that's best to be combined with a total suspension overhaul. Then it's easy!

Al

#7 ·
Not too bad, if I can do it anyone can! :tongue:

Do a quick search, I think it was laid out recently. Hardest part can be the lower shock bolt on the control arm, over time the bolt can become seized to the bushing. Don't want to add a new control arm to the job!

Joe

#11 ·
So you painted those monroes? Never saw a red one lol. I can't wait to do mine also. I'm going eibach on kybs up front. Yours looks very nice.

#13 ·
When my Tbird had the old OEM struts a few years ago it was very floaty, and bouncy feeling. I don't recall it having impact harshness. It was overall was a huge improvement when I put the new sensatracs on it.

I didn't have to remove the LCA to replace the front shock assembly. IIRC its a bit tight but you should have enough room to take it out if you remove the brakes and disconnect sway bar links.

When I did them I replaced just replaced the struts to save some money. Won't be doing that again; it was a lot of work to in the end reuse the old springs. You are better off just getting a new assembly and saving a lot of time. Now if you have the JJJJ sport springs and you want to reuse them it's probably worth it then. But then you get into actually finding shocks that work well with the sport springs....

#14 ·
I'm thinking my shocks/springs are either OEM or OLD!!! Not sure how age affects them, but they can really pound hard on certain surfaces. The Cooper Cobra's probably aren't the softest tires either though :)

#16 ·
I just remember I had to unbolt "something".

When my shocks were bad on my old '95 (and Brenda's old '96), the cars hit the bumps HARD, made a pretty loud noise. Then I put some Sensatracs on, and it fixed that, but became "floaty". Those shocks are the worst, for MN-12's anyway. Unless you like to feel like the captain of a small ship.

Al

#17 · (Edited)
The motor is an all aluminum 4.6, nothing radical.....I have stage 2 crower cams, 24 lb injectors, add my current xcal2, nitrous, MAC cold air tube....... Rear end is a mk vlll aluminum with a new posi internal with 3.73 gears

the timing chain cover is black, cant find the pic right now...

all of these were powder coated by Preston Smith......

Attachments

#18 ·
if you are doing struts, upper and lower control arms are less then a hundred at rockauto... I recommend you just replace every thing.....inner and our tie rods and sway bar end links minimal cost too......dont forget your strut rod bushings....I went poly

#19 ·
So here's the update...... Front end complete......

Attachments

#25 ·
No rubbing, no modifications.....

the wheels are cobra knock offs 17x9 5x4.25.......

no scott i didnt read the whole article because I had already changed them, but thanks for sharing it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.