Things to check if you hear clunking from your suspension - Page 7 - TCCoA Forums

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #181 of 187 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 05:09 AM
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97CatMan View Post
You can usually tell. I just did the SRB's at the control arm. And after 155k in the north they were pretty well trashed. And visually it was obvious. The OEM stuff is better then the best aftermarket stuff. But the factory SRB's that bolt to the arm are pretty much non existent. I went with the blue Moogs since I had both those and the other commonly available black urethane type on hand to compare them too. The Moogs used a thicker sleeve vs the generic Mevotech type and black urethane type material looked to be too soft compared to stock rubber. Plus the Moogs where much closer to the factory bushing shape. My front strut rod to frame bushing seem to be fine. So for the moment I'm going to leave those alone. Other than the lower shock to control arm bolts everything came apart just fine.

A loose bolt will definatatly cause plenty of noise. Something to keep in mind is that a lot of the factory suspension nuts are of the locking type with a nylon insert. And they are not meant to be reused. But of course everyone does. And most of the time things are fine.

But if you hear clunking and reused the old lock nuts it might not be a bad idea to put the car on a lift and recheck the bolt torque. FWIW some of the suspension bolts and nuts are meant to be torqued on a drive on type lift with the weight of the car on them. EG the lower shock bolt. And I believe the lower ball joint.

How are those moog srb's treating you to this day? Im ready to overhaul as many bushings as i can afford. An ofcourse i cant find OEM strut to lca bushings. Im freaking out and dont know what to do... I have the following parts ready for install.
Energy suspension differential mount bushings, ES rear kuckle spindle position, ES cobra IRS bushing kit, ES rear sway link bushings, SCP rear upper inner Control Arm bushings,SCP shock bump stops, 2 new lower control arms, and lastly the SRBs from ford. K member to strut only

Gotta love me a Cougar,... Cars and women alike.
post #182 of 187 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 12:55 PM

Garage
This is one of the best threads I've read. I hit every post from page 1 to 7 and I'm convinced my clunk is from the nefarious sub-frame bolts. I just ordered the right sockets to fix it and I'll be sure to torque it to 100lbs...... but where are they exactly. Would anyone have a picture or diagram so I can make sure I hit ever one of them. God knows the one I miss will be the one causing the problem.

96 Thunderbird LX 3.8L
Fishing when I'm not driving
Advice welcomed
post #183 of 187 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 03:45 PM
1st Gear Poster

Agree great thread. I looked in a 95 shop manual and didn't find a good picture. There are 8. Four on each side. When the socket show should be able to match it to the 8 bolts.

I know it is a stretch but does anyone have a list of what to buy where?
Thanks!
Creighton

Just keeping the history on the road.
post #184 of 187 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 04:28 PM

Recommended Suspension Bushings for MN12's and FN10's

This is one of the best most comprehensive I've found so far. Some of the Ford part numbers are actually "in-stock" on some websites although I have yet to try and order any.
post #185 of 187 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 06:31 PM
1st Gear Poster

Best I have seen as well. Thanks.
Only 3 yrs. old so hope some parts still available from the vendors.
Not ready to order yet myself.
Hate getting stuck in the middle of a project with incorrect parts.
Creighton

Just keeping the history on the road.
post #186 of 187 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 08:57 PM

Garage
From reading this thread, I found the bolts need an E-18 female torx bit. I got that on amazon. I actually got an entire set with other sizes (I hate buying only one socket since something in life will need another size) Just read user reviews and make your purchase based on that. This sucker is getting fixed one way or another. If not that, then I'll scrap the moog strut arm bushing I installed 9 months ago as they are prone to rapid failure and buy the Ford brand........ wish I read that part earlier

96 Thunderbird LX 3.8L
Fishing when I'm not driving
Advice welcomed
post #187 of 187 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 12:10 AM

Hah - I'm the opposite when it comes to specialty tools. If I only need the 18MM special socket then its the only one I buy (unless the kit is just a few bucks more. Maybe because I was used to working on airplanes in the Navy with a minimal tool box that only had the tools that were needed for the airplane.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.