How about an official suspension parts list thread - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

How about an official suspension parts list thread

I'm going to be buying parts for my rebuild in the next couple of weeks so I will be doing some research. Most of this list was taken from this thread with some modifications by me. The Moog part number is included with the part.

Front Suspension

Upper Control Arm
LEFT - INCL BALL JOINT K8596
RIGHT - INCL BALL JOINT K8598
Cam & Bolt Kit K8521 x2

Ford offers two different types of upper control arms according to this thread. OEM which are more expensive than the Moog and Motorcraft which are a good bit cheaper. The OEM has no grease fittings while the Motorcraft does.

Lower Control Arm
LEFT - INCL BALL JOINT K80053
RIGHT - INCL BALL JOINT K80055

Strut Rod
*Use OEM only for the frame side. People have experienced problems with the aftermarket strut rod bushings for the frame side.

Ford part #'s
Strut Rod Bushing Kit Frame Side: E9SZ3A187A
Strut Rod Bushings LCA Side - Front: E9SZ3A140A
Strut Rod Bushings LCA Side - Rear: E9SZ3A140B

Strut Rod Bushing/Kit K8680 LCA Side

Sway Bar Link/Kit K8635

Sway Bar Frame Bushing/Kit
w/1-3/32" Bar K8756
w/1-1/8" Bar K8757
w/1-1/16" Bar K8752

Tie Rod End Link Outer ES3004RL x2
Inner EV127 x2

Rear Suspension

*REAR COMPENSATOR LINK K8594 x2
*Sway Bar Link/Kit K8641 x2
*Upper Control ARM TO FRAME K8562 x2
*Upper Control Arm ARM TO KNUCKLE K8588 x2
*Lower Control Arm Kit ** * K8658 x2

Available Polyurethane Bushings

From SuperCoupePerformance.com
Front Suspension Bushing Kit
Rear Spindle Bushing Kit
Rear Shock Mount Kit - for non-ARC shocks
Upper and Lower Spring Cups for the REAR Springs

Rear Inner LCA bushings can be found in the PROTHANE 99-04 Mustang Cobra IRS C-ARM Bushing Kit #6-311-BL. See this thread for details.

That's all for now. Feel free to point out anything that I've messed up or missed. I'm sure that I've missed some things from SCP and I'm not sure what all spinningwheels-SC sells.

What all companies make lowering springs for our cars? Eibach, Vogtland

94 Thunderbird 3.8 daily driver stock with Xenon body kit and wing

95 Thunderbird 4.6 PI Explorer swap with Kooks headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, marauder converter, and Jmod

Last edited by jda95bird; 05-10-2007 at 10:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 10:02 AM
Braincoating! It's what all the cool kids have!

Administrator

The only adjustment or exception I’d make to your list would be the strut rod bushings – frame side. Please list/use the oem ford bushings. They are very expensive but the actually work correctly unlike every single aftermarket replacement. Way too many of us have experienced the disaster called the K8659. I have to temper this by saying if you drive the car in an extremely conservative way the K8659 would be ok BUT for anyone doing spirited driving (and especially braking) your only choice should be the OEM.

www.BRAINCOATING.com..... Powder & Ceramic Coating

WWW.PRESTONSBOOKS.BIZ..... Books at really great prices!
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 01:42 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdbrain View Post
The only adjustment or exception I’d make to your list would be the strut rod bushings – frame side. Please list/use the oem ford bushings. They are very expensive but the actually work correctly unlike every single aftermarket replacement. Way too many of us have experienced the disaster called the K8659. I have to temper this by saying if you drive the car in an extremely conservative way the K8659 would be ok BUT for anyone doing spirited driving (and especially braking) your only choice should be the OEM.

I second that. I just replaced mine along with the LCA's. They (the strut rod bushings - frame side) run abour $70 PER SIDE! But, they're the only way to go.

Ford Part Numbers
Strut Rod Bushing Kit Frame Side: E9SZ3A187A
Strut Rod Bushings LCA Side - Front: E9SZ3A140A
Strut Rod Bushings LCA Side - Rear: E9SZ3A140B

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto.

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 05-07-2007 at 04:35 PM.

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 05:41 PM
PostWhore
The AFDB is on a lil tight.

I have the frame side strut rod kit from ford but

I have wasted money being ignorant about this a few months back, I bought the LCA side bushing kit from CSKautoparts. Should I use it when I replace the LCAs or is that a stupid move. I am a spirited driver btw. Bottom line is will the wearing of the low quality bushing and ferrule kit be safety issue in the future. I will replace them if they started to clunk but I cant return them since its been more than 30 days. Dont over look the Differential bushing. My Tbird was a babied car and they were beginning to become misshapen so I replaced them with the poly ones. Other than rear shocks every part you can change has been mentioned in the suspension section I believe. I guess you can add outer trans cross member bushings.

Spinning pies like wheels.

DD driving my 20 year old project

Now with new ball joints...again
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

I made the changes mentioned. Does anybody have anything else?

How about info on the different size sway bars in the mn12s and Mark VIIIs.

94 Thunderbird 3.8 daily driver stock with Xenon body kit and wing

95 Thunderbird 4.6 PI Explorer swap with Kooks headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, marauder converter, and Jmod
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 02:43 PM
Cougar Pilot

Quote:
Rock Auto says it's an improved design now. I just got mine today, I hope they're good enough.

What size wrenches am I going to need to put them in? I don't have anything bigger than a 22mm and that doesn't come close.

TCCoA, there's no better way.
BlackCat94 - The Revolution.
1994 XR7 - Intake Tube, LMAF, March Underdrive Pulleys, J-Modded '00 Mustang Trans, Marauder T/C,
TruBendz 2.5" SS True Duals, Apten Flip Chip, FRPP 4.10s & Trac Lock, etc.

15.11@91mph with 3.27 gears
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 03:12 PM

Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCat94 View Post
Rock Auto says it's an improved design now. I just got mine today, I hope they're good enough.

What size wrenches am I going to need to put them in? I don't have anything bigger than a 22mm and that doesn't come close.
I'm afraid they are the same thing. The ‘improved’ refers to their use of a less than stellar thermoplastic compound that can react to some underhood chemicals (power steering fluid anyone?) and is further crippled by the use of the fixed length ferrule that we love to hate so much. They are the ones we moan and groan about.

I use large adjustable wrenches on the nuts.

post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 03:18 PM
Cougar Pilot

Damn. I don't know if I can throw another $100 at this thing right now, especially on such a simple (but unfortunately critical) part.

TCCoA, there's no better way.
BlackCat94 - The Revolution.
1994 XR7 - Intake Tube, LMAF, March Underdrive Pulleys, J-Modded '00 Mustang Trans, Marauder T/C,
TruBendz 2.5" SS True Duals, Apten Flip Chip, FRPP 4.10s & Trac Lock, etc.

15.11@91mph with 3.27 gears
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 03:37 PM

Administrator

They are going to be for a while. This failure is more common with those that exibit a 'spirited' driving style. There are things you can do to help keep them together. 1) Keep them clean (this really applies to the drivers side front of the bushing) If you have any power steering fluid leakage they will begin to soften. 2) check for slop. As they wear the bushing will begin to ‘smoosh’ more but that extra motion cant be damped or controlled if the nuts aren’t tight or if the ferrule is inhibiting the nuts be tightened to a reasonable preload. It would seem prudent that should there be any play or slop that the bushing and the nuts are tight, that the ferrule should be removed and trimmed down some small amount (1/16”) and retry.

post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 02:12 PM
Cougar Pilot

My stock ones exhibit no signs of wear that I can see. They're tight, not pushed out, or rotten.

Perhaps I'll just leave them as they are and send Rock Auto their Moog bushings back.

The car has 200k miles, so it might be good to replace them, then again it only has so many more miles left in it so it may not be an issue.

Opinions?

Apologies for the quasi thread hijack
post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 10:41 AM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:

front suspension tools

as i remember it, i had to buy a big 30 mm open ended wrench for this. i also borrowed a BIG crescent wrench to hold the strut rod straight while tightening.

since you will be in this deep, may as well replace the hub. you'll need a 36 mm socket for the hub nut. do not reuse the old one....buy a new nut.

1994 Thunderbird - Renegade Racing Long block, TFHS Trans, NA/SVO intake. Cam94 lives!
2010 Shelby GT500 - Black/Silver
1995 Thunderbird LX - 2000 GT PI Swap by W&S Motorsports - Sold on Tccoa.
post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 02:10 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to byrd_of_thunder Send a message via MSN to byrd_of_thunder Send a message via Yahoo to byrd_of_thunder
Quote:
what's wrong with the poly frame side bushings?

Nick
Byrd_of_Thunder
-------------------------------------
2012 Ford Focus SE Hatchback

**1997 Ford Thunderbird LX - RIP**
post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 10:08 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

This should be a sticky...

This has all the good numbers in it.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

I'm not Human enough to be human; but I'm trying to fit in, and I'm learning to fake it.

"Never said Hibbity..." - Brian Williams
post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 12:15 AM
PostWhore
The AFDB is on a lil tight.

I would like to add poly diff bushings are available from SCP.com and the 89 SC front sway bar takes 30mm or 1 3/16ths sized mid section bushings, not 1.2 as mentioned in the tech article(this should be corrected). The bushings are available from energy suspension. I found it to be frustrating to find a set that fit the bar but it turned out amazon.com had it for cheaper than any place else.

Spinning pies like wheels.

DD driving my 20 year old project

Now with new ball joints...again
post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 01:17 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to kermit
Sorry for the dumb question, but besides OEM, is one brand better than another on thses parts, or is there one company to avoid more than another?

Jamie
'96 Thunderbird LX 4.6L
'07 Eddie Bauer Explorer 4.6L 3v
'06 Mustang GT 4.6L 3v 5 spd

"10 in the tank, 4 on the floor"
post #16 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 01:28 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Avoid any of the cheapo stuff from the parts stores, usually boxed as OE brand or Dorman. Things like the control arms you want trw or Moog(Moog being the best), strut rod bushings you want OEM and OEM only.

-Matt
post #17 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 09:53 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
Avoid any of the cheapo stuff from the parts stores, usually boxed as OE brand or Dorman. Things like the control arms you want trw or Moog(Moog being the best), strut rod bushings you want OEM and OEM only.
Are Moog bushings good for the LCA side of the tension rod? They seem pretty stout.

Hope so, just put them on both cars!

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 66k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 Crown Vic Police Interceptor - Brenda's car
Previous cars:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years
post #18 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 06:05 PM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
I just heard from Jason:

Quote:
Hi,
The E9SZ-3A187-B is discontinued they are a few scattered out there at other dealers.The ferrules are obsolete also.I can get the 3a187 kit but the mark up on it probably would be high.
But the individual bushings are still available:

E9SZ3B271A front bushing at frame
F7SZ3A225AA rear bushing at frame

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #19 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 07:48 PM
PostWhore

See this thread for strut rod bushing updates (Joe got ahead of me ) :

http://forums.tccoa.com/44-suspension/133783-strut-rod-bushing-e9sz3a187a-frame-side-post1358609.html

PART NO: LIST PRICE:

E9SZ3A140A $12.38 front bushing at arm
E9SZ3A140B $12.50 rear bushing at arm
E9SZ3B271A $12.82 front bushing at frame
F7SZ3A225AA $6.41 rear bushing at frame

These are the correct bushing part numbers without washers or ferrules. The "kits" and ferrules are now obsolete but some dealers still have a few on the shelf. If you have been thinking of replacing yours or need to, dont wait much longer.

-Kelly
===================================
Fuelly
94 LX 3.8L NA : Daily Driver. 270k on chassis, 10k on motor.
90 35th Anniversary SC : Stored for the Winter.
Needs Harmonic Balancer, complete suspension overhaul.
WTB: 90 SC BHJ harmonic balancer
post #20 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 04:51 AM
It is nice

The upper and lower control arms from the factory were TRW I believe just for info; and they have no grease fittings so keep that in mind.

1997 Ford Thunderbird LX 4.6L (WT): Removed Air Silencer. PBR Brake Upgrade. J-MOD. Silverstar Headlights. Vogtland Springs 1.6". Front Sport Shocks/ Back KYB's. PI Cams. Xcal2 by Lonnie.
1991 Mercury Cougar LS 3.8L: SOLD
post #21 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 04:52 AM
It is nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by T6Rocket View Post
Are Moog bushings good for the LCA side of the tension rod? They seem pretty stout.

Hope so, just put them on both cars!

Al
yes they are.

1997 Ford Thunderbird LX 4.6L (WT): Removed Air Silencer. PBR Brake Upgrade. J-MOD. Silverstar Headlights. Vogtland Springs 1.6". Front Sport Shocks/ Back KYB's. PI Cams. Xcal2 by Lonnie.
1991 Mercury Cougar LS 3.8L: SOLD
post #22 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 05:07 PM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Strut rod bushing kits

Ok folks, check this site out, http://www.fordpartsgiant.com/.

They list the kits for $115 each. on the front page click Thunderbird, click the year, click search, click front suspension and steering, click front suspension under sub group, then click on
arms, shock absorbers, spindles, springs & stabilizer - Page B.
Scroll down half way on the page to 3A187, there's the kits!

Last chance if you want them!

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #23 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 06:01 PM
PostWhore

That's awesome Joe. It looks like they have everything separately too.

-Kelly
Fuelly
post #24 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 11:45 AM
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeo Joe View Post
Ok folks, check this site out, http://www.fordpartsgiant.com/.

They list the kits for $115 each. on the front page click Thunderbird, click the year, click search, click front suspension and steering, click front suspension under sub group, then click on
arms, shock absorbers, spindles, springs & stabilizer - Page B.
Scroll down half way on the page to 3A187, there's the kits!

Joe
Just received my 3A187 kits from fordpartsgiant.com. Very happy with the service.

-Joe-
1994 Ford Thunderbird SC 5-Speed
1996 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra #1251
post #25 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 09:11 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeo Joe View Post

Joe
Thanks, Joe!

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

I'm not Human enough to be human; but I'm trying to fit in, and I'm learning to fake it.

"Never said Hibbity..." - Brian Williams
post #26 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 07:32 PM
2nd Gear Poster

OK, I am at the stage that I think I need the strut rod bushings. But, I am so tired of this car taking 500-1000 every time I look at it. Just put on new tires, there goes 450. The front end banging. Looks to me like the rear of the frame bushing is moving around. But a shop told me today that bushings are good, but my strut bearing plates are bad. I don't know if I should believe them or not. But I am going to take parts off myself. Can't afford them at 100 per hour. So, I need ( 2 ) kits for the frame side 3A187 at $115 each?
Car is lowered, but I don't dog the car. Just drive it normal. How about the kit from Energy Suspension? Now what they offer is a Thermoplastic bushing to absorb vibration and noise. They are now affected by oils. http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...rod=MOOG-K8680

I am going to put on the strut rod bushings and take the stuts to the shop to have the bearing plates replaced

Any comments please
post #27 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 10:04 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
It's junk, OEM is the ONLY option that will work properly and last.

Btw these cars have shocks, not struts and thus don't have bearing plates.

-Matt
post #28 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 10:50 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raybird View Post
OK, I am at the stage that I think I need the strut rod bushings. But, I am so tired of this car taking 500-1000 every time I look at it. Just put on new tires, there goes 450. The front end banging. Looks to me like the rear of the frame bushing is moving around. But a shop told me today that bushings are good, but my strut bearing plates are bad. I don't know if I should believe them or not. But I am going to take parts off myself. Can't afford them at 100 per hour. So, I need ( 2 ) kits for the frame side 3A187 at $115 each?

Car is lowered, but I don't dog the car. Just drive it normal. How about the kit from Energy Suspension? Now what they offer is a Thermoplastic bushing to absorb vibration and noise. They are now affected by oils. http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...rod=MOOG-K8680

I am going to put on the strut rod bushings and take the stuts to the shop to have the bearing plates replaced.

Any comments please
Talk to RobertP. 910-947-7044

www.robstireandauto.com

If you're willing to make the trip up to his place in Carthage, NC (and I highly recommend you do) he can help you out. It would be a worthwhile trip if you plan to keep the car.

It looks like about a 3 hr drive from your place to his. Not much farther than the two hour trip that I make to see him when he works on my car.

Give him a call, it's free to ask his recommendations and get a price quote.

For the extra time and gas it takes to make the trip you may still come out ahead vs. the local shop and you'll KNOW it was done right. Plus you'll have the drive home to enjoy the car with the new repairs/upgrades.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto.
post #29 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 11:57 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raybird View Post

I am going to put on the strut rod bushings and take the stuts to the shop to have the bearing plates replaced

Any comments please
The link you posted to ES says it's the LCA side, not the frame side.

Go with the OEM if you can find them or you'll have issues.

-Kelly
Fuelly
post #30 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 04:47 AM
2nd Gear Poster

OK thanks for the input.
Yeah, I sent the link for the lca bushings because the frame side that they have did not have the description with them.
After reading a lot more post in the forums, I'm thinking my bushings may be in good shape. I tried to change them last week myself. But I found out that the lca would have to come off, so I stopped. And in the process of pushing, twisting on the strut rod, the front bushings was holding good, not about to come loose like a rotten piece would be.
Trunk Monkey, I thank you for your reply. But, I had all the pieces off in 05 when I replaced lca bushings, replaced uca, replaced shocks and springs. It's just that climbing under a car is not as fun as it used to be.
XR7 --- Yeah, that's one thing that I get tongue tied on. When I had the shocks and springs changed back in 05. They replaced the top, and I was thinking they called it a bearing plate. I guess, I mean I need to replace the upper shock mount.
This thing started bumping in the front end a couple years after this was replaced. And if these shock mounts are bad, then that shop may have put cheap parts on my shocks.

So, can the upper shock mounts allow some play and have a bumping noise. I replaced the Uca's last month and half of the noise when away. And, if they can allow noise, where would be a good place to get some. Energy suspension?
http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...rod=MOOG-K8632

Thanks again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.