Anyone have a T90P-50-ALA ABS Tool? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Anyone have a T90P-50-ALA ABS Tool?

A friend of mine has a pretty nice 93 mark. While doing the brakes one of the rear lines snapped because it was rusted to the flare nut. While it sat overnight until the parts store opened to we could buy unions and flare nuts, all of the fluid drained from the system. The old line was cut back until it was in good condition, the new line was spliced in and connected to the new flex hose and caliper. This car has all new brake components in the rear and a 1 year old cobra brake upgrade in the front.

After helping him flush 3 quarts of new fluid through the system while bleeding it in the front and back multiple times, the brakes just are not firming up like they were. The system has been checked for leaks thoroughly, none found. I also checked brake line pressure with a rotunda brake pressure gauge I have, appears to be ok. The car is drivable but the brakes are spongy as hell.

We suspect the issue is some air may have gotten into the ABS pump. I have MANY Rotunda tools from a dealership I helped liquidate but I don't have the T90P-50-ALA tool that is needed to activate the ABS pump and open the valves for 20-60 seconds. Does anyone have one they would be willing to rent or sell?

It looks like this:

95 LSC- Mods: 2.5 dual exhaust, 3.73s, 17x9 cobra R Rims, SCT dyno tune, MM driveshaft, 249 rwhp/ 268 ft lb tq
97 Base- Mods: Forged motor, Eaton m112, 2.76 pully, too many mods to list..........
My Car Domain Page
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 10:05 PM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
You may be able to do it with some aftermarket scanners. I know my snap on mt2500 (old POS) can do the ABS bleed procedure on newer fords, although I am not so sure about the older ones. If you have a friend that works at a shop, I would ask them.

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts 14.56@90.54MPH
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Inject tech chip, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with Tru-X core, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

The only other tool that will work on this ABS system is the Thexton 133 tool which doesn't seem to be available either. Later model cars let you use a scan tool over the obd 2 system.

But I was able to locate the rotunda tool, it should arrive next week.

95 LSC- Mods: 2.5 dual exhaust, 3.73s, 17x9 cobra R Rims, SCT dyno tune, MM driveshaft, 249 rwhp/ 268 ft lb tq
97 Base- Mods: Forged motor, Eaton m112, 2.76 pully, too many mods to list..........
My Car Domain Page
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 07:26 PM
PostWhore

Disregard this if you know already but when I bled my brakes I was surprised that with ABS brakes the rear has to be bled with the ignition ON. I had the same problem until I figured that out. Unless you removed something that's directly attached to the ABS pump there shouldn't be any reason to use that tool. The ABS system will prime itself and remove any air while driving. Now if you did remove the ABS pump that would be another issue.

-Randy-
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 11:21 PM
4th Gear Poster

If you get one of those, make sure to hook a charger to the battery whiule using it. the ABS pumps draw a decent amount.
I've got one, but think shipping would be quite high across the border each way They are great when I do the brake flush every couple years as then I know all the fluid is changed...

·Ď˘ĺrµ§·

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII
4.6L DOHC; meter4it.com chase/sequential tail lights; 20" Giovanna Dalars; 4.30 gears; FRPP Track-Lok; SCT tuned; Baumann ReCal; Addco bars; Cobra brakes...

RIP - '86 Mark VII LSC
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

I was able to get one. I'm going to be using it this Tuesday, we will see how it goes.

My Car Domain Page
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 08:11 PM
PostWhore

Did you read what I posted?

-Randy-
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8ThunderCat View Post
Did you read what I posted?
Yes, thanks for the info but from what I can see the mark and t bird abs system has differences. I don't believe the marks system does what you described. I've worked on and bled the brakes on marks more times than I can count and never had this issue. I also have never had the system drip overnight due to a damaged line. The car with the issue has been driven quite a few miles with the brakes like this and bled on two separate occasions with no change. This is more or less the last reasonable option we can see. I'll update this week after using this tool and another full bleed.

Also was there something in a factory service manual about bleeding the rears with the ignition on? The mark factory service makes no mention of this but the tool i bought is mentioned quite a few times.

My Car Domain Page
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Update, I found a tool and bought it. Used it and all kinds of milky looking fluid was purged into the lines with some air. This WAS NOT in the lines before running the pump with this tool, the system was bled with 2-3 large containers of fluid twice before this trying to correct the problem. Now after running the pump all the crap it out of there. The brakes catch right at the top now, never been better!!

If anyone needs it I will have the tool available for rent, I want to keep the tool, but I know they are hard to find and want it to be available for other people that were in the same position as me.

My Car Domain Page
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 10:47 AM
PostWhore

FYI I used this tool to bleed my brakes and purge the ABS system. I wrote an article with photos on the process here: http://www.mn12tech.com/brake-fluid.php

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX - 80K miles, 4.6L Auto, 2nd owner
Mostly stock except for tint, stereo, SC ground effects, and wheels/tires
--> My most recent pics <--
I'm documenting some of my MN12 stuff @ MN12Tech.com
- Door Hinge/Bushing Replacement
- Ford 4.6L Vacuum Hose Replacement How-To
- T-Bird DIY Cheap Headlight Restoration
- Multifunction Switch Replacement
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 01:55 AM
Veteran Poster

...and if the tool is not available, then thy owner is doomed?
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMooseofDoom View Post
...and if the tool is not available, then thy owner is doomed?
Well.....can't say for sure. But I can tell you my friend got some air in his abs system when one of his brake line rusted out. No matter how much fluid we put through the new lines, we could not get a firm pedal. The brakes worked, but not well. Once I did some reading and picked up this tool we gave it a try on his car. Sure enough once we were finished with it the brakes were nice and firm like they were supposed to be. We did try to activate the ABS system by going over a dirt road at about 30 mph and hitting the brakes. While it did activate the ABS it didn't do anything to purge the air from the pump.

My Car Domain Page
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 01:24 PM
PostWhore

If you can't get your hands on the tool, you could pay the dealer to do the air purge process. I believe that specific tool is out-dated now, I think they can do that with their big magical scan tools that plug into the OBD port...??

Don't however, trust a brake or independent shop to get the job done. The brakes on my car were "flushed" by a small brake shop in town (I got the receipt from the previous owner). BS, the fluid was black, there was air in the lines, the pedal is much better since I bought the tool and used it to purge air from the ABS controller thingy.

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX - 80K miles, 4.6L Auto, 2nd owner
Mostly stock except for tint, stereo, SC ground effects, and wheels/tires
--> My most recent pics <--
I'm documenting some of my MN12 stuff @ MN12Tech.com
- Door Hinge/Bushing Replacement
- Ford 4.6L Vacuum Hose Replacement How-To
- T-Bird DIY Cheap Headlight Restoration
- Multifunction Switch Replacement
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 03:01 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
This thread is worth a read...

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45452

-Matt
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 04:32 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to FunktasticLucky
I actually own a brand new one. Cost me a pretty penny but I'm getting ready to swap my front calibers and master Cylinder and fix my ABS. Then completely flush the system. I might be willing to rent this out for 20 dollars but there will easily be a 300 dollar core charge that will be refunded when I get it back. Too many thieves in this world now adays.

96 Thunderbird Specs

Project Under Construction
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 04:29 PM
PostWhore

Funk,

Still willing to rent that T90P-50-ALA? I can't find one anywhere and I need to do some brake work on my Cougar. Looking to get some stainless lines, 13" rotors and calipers, and flush the fluid.

Let me know if you are interested.

Thanks,

Pete

-97 XR-7
-5.0 Big Bore ...
Ran @ Normal Operating Temps, No Race Tune, No Setup Changes from Daily Driven Configurations
9.0 @ 78 (1/8 Mile only in Abilene )
2.06 60' on Street Tires (BFG G-Force Super Sport 245/50/16)
3805 Lbs, Stock Exhaust Manifolds
Density Altitude = 4132'
That Run, Corrected for Standard Day
1/8 mile: 8.75 @ 82
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 11:00 PM
Veteran Poster

Absolute worst case scenario, is bypassing this system a viable option? I only ask because I did pick up a later Bird, and I'm going to try to drive it a while.

Just sayin'.

So yeah, I bought two Lincolns in a week.

My LarryLand Automotive Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Larry...61642343862942

My Scribd.com garbage: http://www.scribd.com/larry_vanzandt
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 06:50 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

We could open one, take pix, and see how it's connected.

A diagram could be made...

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

I'm not Human enough to be human; but I'm trying to fit in, and I'm learning to fake it.

"Never said Hibbity..." - Brian Williams
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 08:46 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post
We could open one, take pix, and see how it's connected.

A diagram could be made...
did somebody ever did the diagram for the pigtail???
i need to figure out for my 93 t bird and 97 town car.
please post a link if you know one

thx

hoschy
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 06:26 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-Hoschy View Post
did somebody ever did the diagram for the pigtail???
i need to figure out for my 93 t bird and 97 town car.
please post a link if you know one

thx

hoschy

You will never get a good tight pedal without using this tool. I bought one myself. One minute and it made all the difference in the world.

Good Luck,

Chapman
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 06:21 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapman View Post
You will never get a good tight pedal without using this tool. I bought one myself. One minute and it made all the difference in the world.

Good Luck,

Chapman
i try to build my own brakeout box can*t be that difficult i got someone who is good with wires and switches
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 04:05 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-Hoschy View Post
i try to build my own brakeout box can*t be that difficult i got someone who is good with wires and switches

I don't think it is all that easy. Best to find one on ebay. I payed 200 bucks for mine but it was well worth it the rip off.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.