• 1 Post By RalphP
  • 1 Post By XR7-4.6
  • 1 Post By theterminator93
  • 1 Post By XR7-4.6

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Resident Gun Guru

Question Rotors

Ive already read most of the posts concerning brake upgrades.......

I already have a full front and rear Disc Brakes R Us conversion. 13" fronts and 11.65" rears. I need to replace my rotors, primarily fronts, but rears arent far behind. I cannot afford replacement rotors from DBRU.

Anyone know where I can get these large rotors with the 4.25 bolt pattern at a reasonable price ?

Need ASAP........

13.66 @ 100.4 mph
1.94 60' time

"If you stick with the basics, you never have to go back to them"
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 05:19 PM
Kind of slapped together

Pick up the Mustang rotors and have the local machine shop redrill them?

That's all I've got.

RwP
CDsDontBurn likes this.

Fuelly
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 05:39 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Get a set for a Mustang and file the holes oblong to fit the bolt pattern, on the front the hub center is the same between them so they'll be centered no matter how imprecise you are with the file. The rears you can do the same but you'll need a hubcentric ring for the rotor since the rear hubs aren't stepped
Woodman likes this.

-Matt
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Resident Gun Guru

Ok Matt, you lost me with the hubcentric ring......lol

Lets see if I got this right....... I could take these 13" mustang rotors from rock auto, that I accidentally ordered and file the holes out slightly oblong and they will work on the front ?

And the 11.65" rears for a mustang, that I got from rock auto......need to be sold, because my 30 day return policy expired ? Or I need better instructions.......lol

13.66 @ 100.4 mph
1.94 60' time

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 07:42 PM
Kind of slapped together

On the rears, you'll either need to get a shop to drill them, or you'll have to find rings to fit between the hubs and the center of the rotors, since the rears aren't hub-centric, but are stud-centric.

That is, the HUB doesn't center the rotor, but the STUDS do; so it's a bit more twitchy.

On the FRONT, the HUB centers, so you can obround the front holes out to the inside and they'll work just fine for brakes.

RwP

Fuelly
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 08:51 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Since he's already been running the 11.65 rear rotors, shouldn't he already have the hubcentric rings for them? Or are the ones he has old enough to be Thunderbird specific that are no longer made?

Long story short OP, the rear rotors can have the lug holes made oblong, so long as you have a ring to put between the hub of your car and the inner race of the rotor to fill the space. Same as if you bought aftermarket wheels, you should get hubcentric rings to fill the space so that the wheel is centered on the hub, instead of by the bolts. Otherwise, if you don't have those you can end up with issues that mimic wheel imbalance.

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Resident Gun Guru

Thanks Ralph and all that responded. Sounds like the front will be an easy fix......

Where would i find the ring for the rears ?

Woodman.....these rotors are still made as a direct fit for the tbirds by discbrakesrus.com but they are rather expensive..... I bought fronts and rears, rotors and calipers when tccoa did a group purchase years back. I actually have the first prototype braided stainless lines the company ever made for the tbirds......

13.66 @ 100.4 mph
1.94 60' time

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 07:54 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Wow... been a while since I've seen your name in the recent posts list!

I picked up plain-Jane Raybestos 13" rotors off RockAuto and used a Dremel to enlarge the holes by about 1/8-3/16" towards the center. Worked like a charm. Using a file to do this I think might make one go insane.
Woodman likes this.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 155k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
96 Ivory Mark VIII 233k, stock 4.6 32v on coils; New engine at 185k
Gone but not forgotten: 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 07:41 AM
̇

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by theterminator93
Using a file to do this I think might make one go insane.

I'm always hearing Woodman and Matt suggest this..
I'm just imagining one of the members here actually using a file, and driving themselves into a spastic seizure accompanied by insanity..lol

Rayo..

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there."George Harrison
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Resident Gun Guru

Hey Terminator......yes, been a long time. Went through a lot of challenges the last few years.......change in career and finances for a while. The trans had some problems and the car got parked for a while. My best friend, tbirdbrain, passed away unexpectedly. He was building my new drive train. His wife brought my trans and rear end to me, but I havent had a way to bring my motor back to south carolina yet.

Ive finally been able to get back to rebuilding. The rear got new shocks and will have new rotors as soon as i get this problem ironed out. I bought rockauto 11.65 mustang rotors by accident.

The front gets new struts, upper and lower control arms with ball joints, inner and outer tie rods and rotors too. Again i bought rockauto 13" mustang rotors. As soon as I complete this project I hope to be taking the car to Robert to have him install my trans............are the raypestos 13" you got for a mustang ? i could find any that size for the tbird ?

Did some searching about hubcentric rings to correct my rear rotors but dont know what size i need ?

13.66 @ 100.4 mph
1.94 60' time

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 07:45 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Yeah, we've had lots of good folks move on in the last few years. JL, Preston, Doug, Mike V... just to name a few.

Yeah, the Raybestos rotors I bought were for a 'Stang. Their part number was 66844.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 155k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
96 Ivory Mark VIII 233k, stock 4.6 32v on coils; New engine at 185k
Gone but not forgotten: 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 09:32 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayo View Post

I'm always hearing Woodman and Matt suggest this..
I'm just imagining one of the members here actually using a file, and driving themselves into a spastic seizure accompanied by insanity..lol

Rayo..
I'll let you know how it goes when I try it.

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 09:40 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
You know files are made in grits and sizes beyond the ones used for fingernails right?
Woodman likes this.

-Matt
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Resident Gun Guru

I get how to grind them out xr7.....lol........but still need the hub centric rings on the rear ? Im ignorant....anyone know the size ? Educate me ?

13.66 @ 100.4 mph
1.94 60' time

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 06:01 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

The holes in the rotors have a bit of play by design; and the hole in the middle is a different size, so you need some metal rings in the gap, or you will never have an even balance on the wheels, because the rotor is 0.0xx off center, so you go down the road going whoomp-whoomp-whoomp each time the light spot comes up.

With more tires, it's more fun.

The hub centric rings are just gap-fillers.

That's why our rotors and wheels fit tightly in the middle.

Good to see you back!

I just want to know what to do about the yellow painted front stud, if you replace the front bearings...

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

I'm not Human enough to be human; but I'm trying to fit in, and I'm learning to fake it.

"Never said Hibbity..." - Brian Williams

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.