cheapest way to fix a 91 cougar LS with electric booster failure - TCCoA Forums

3Likes
  • 2 Post By turbomustang84
  • 1 Post By theterminator93

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

cheapest way to fix a 91 cougar LS with electric booster failure

I am finally driving to Ohio to pick up my late fathers 91 Cougar LS and other than the AC not working which I think is a clutch issue my main concern is the power brake failure which is ABS and uses the electric Booster setup.

I know its mechanically sound except for the brakes but driving it all the way back to Albuquerque from Ohio would be difficult without the power brakes working ,I had planned to have a specialty shop take apart and rebuild the booster by rewinding the motor and building a high quality gasket to keep the booster from failing again .

but is their anything I can buy which would not mean changing all the components to an older type setup to get it drivable ?

I will be there for a month so I will go over everything but the car has low miles and has used mobile 1 in it's 5.0 since my Dad bought it new

are the original electric boosters ever found in working condition in a salvage yard ? I really just need to get it back here where it is more comfortable for me to work on .

I plan to do all the cosmetics needed to get it back in shape later such as repainting it oxford white and sanding off the little bit of surface rust that it has gotten since being stored outside in Ohio weather and believe me if this was not a car my father cherished I would not go through all this trouble because lets face it even in very good condition it will only be worth something to me because they just do not sell for much but if I can get it back to its original condition I might let my granddaughter have it when she gets her license in 6 years .

CDsDontBurn and Tbird Bob like this.
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 05:30 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
Driving it from OH to NM without power brakes would not just be difficult, it would be suicidal! Without the power assist, that thing will have no chance of stopping from highway speeds in any type of a safe distance. As for the cheapest way to get it working again, first it needs to be diagnosed. It could be a bad pump motor, or it could just as likely only be a bad relay. If you have confirmed that it is getting power to the pump motor but it is not spinning, then the cheapest way out would be to eliminate the ABS and convert it over to a conventional booster setup. If you don't want to do that, then the next cheapest option would be a good used unit. Rather than scouring junkyards for one in unknown condition, go on SCCoA and you should be able to find someone selling a good used unit.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90SC 5-speed, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, soon to be transplanted into...
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-70 Torino GT Fastback project car. Needs EFI and a manual trans, but I'm not sure what motor to go with yet.
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

I really will have to wait and go over all the parts my nephew was driving it when it failed and he knows nothing about cars and I will be looking here in the forum for parts and hopefully it is not as bad as I imagine it only has 70,000 miles on it but the weather has been tough on her but its the same color as my wife's SHO so it matches and I always liked the digital dash

thanks for the advice :-)
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

I did drive my 68 cougar with no power brakes because of a failed booster back in the 80s and survived from LA to Fayetteville Arkansas but I was 26 not 56 like now lol
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 06:41 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
I've driven a fox body with a failed booster, and I was a little nervous, but it wasn't too bad. I've also driven cars with manual brakes. The brakes on a failed Teves unit though, are in a completely different league of ineffective. I had one fail completely on me once, and on a 5-speed car so I could downshift to slow down, and I still wasn't comfortable driving it a few miles. I think the car would have slowed faster if I dragged my feet on the ground Flintstones style.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90SC 5-speed, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, soon to be transplanted into...
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-70 Torino GT Fastback project car. Needs EFI and a manual trans, but I'm not sure what motor to go with yet.
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 08:10 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Where in Ohio is that? I could potentially help in some way if it's near here.
Tbird Bob likes this.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 155k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
96 Ivory Mark VIII 233k, stock 4.6 32v on coils; New engine at 185k
Gone but not forgotten: 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 10:47 PM
Kind of slapped together

What you're talking about is the Teves Mk II Integral ABS.

One "wonderful feature" of this Fine Piece of Stuff is that, without it working, YOU DO NOT HAVE REAR BRAKES. PERIOD.

Either fix it, convert to vacuum boosters, or tow it.

RwP

Fuelly

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.