Mustang PBR Calipers to Thunderbird Conversion and problems - Page 5 - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #121 of 130 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 12:34 PM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Dave,

I'm not sure about the Cobra caliper, but the grinding needs to be done if you're using the PBR Mustang V6/GT calipers. That's what this thread is about, adding the PBR Mustang V6/GT calipers to the MN-12.

Joe

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 130 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 02:40 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Grinding has to be done with Cobra calipers too. Grind the banjo block, not the caliper.

MN12 performance archives has a good illustration of it http://www.tccoa.com/articles/mn12ho...ke_upgrade.htm

Oh and the threads should be the same, 03/04s used coarse thread rather than fine thread.

-Matt
post #123 of 130 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 04:12 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Traveler
Well.. unless you are using 17" wheels (or bigger) you can't use the cobra brakes. They are not the same as the standard mustang brakes they've been talking about.

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
80 MM Mustang GT MAF - P&P'd Mustang GT TB and Intake Plenum - PI Intake manifold - PI Heads
Mark VIII Torque Converter - J-Modded 4R70W transmission - Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 gears
PBR Brake Calipers - Eibach Springs - KYB Shocks
'89 SuperCoupe front and rear sway bars
SCT Chip programmed by Lonnie Doll
255/50/16 Falken Ziex ZE-512's
True Dual exhaust with Magnaflow DI/DO muffler
<<< SOLD >>>

post #124 of 130 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 04:22 PM
4th Gear Poster

Yeah I will be upgrading to Mustang hubs and 17" wheels at the same time.

1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6- 20% tint, removed air silencer and not much else! (Mustang hubs, Cobra brakes, Vogtland springs, Mark VIII LCAs, Sport shocks and more waiting to be installed)

2013 DIB GT 301A 6-speed- 15% tint, Kooks 1 7/8 mid lengths, off-road x and cat back, Barton 2-post bracket, JPC clutch line, Koni Yellows, Maximum Motorsports C/C plates, BMR K-member, A-arms, UCA & Mount, LCAs and relo brackets, Steeda Ultralites and PHB, Shaftmasters DS, Brembo wheels- Tuned by AED
post #125 of 130 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 05:30 PM
Kind of slapped together

I'm not sure the Cobra calipers fit - the replacement are usually from the Mustang GT or the Mustang V6 of that era.

And I wouldn't grind the brake hose any ... it's a LOT easier to relieve the caliper!

(Or do the smarter thing - grab a set of the stainless lines from Classic Tube - albeit I'd buy them from Victor at SpinningWheels-SC.COM - and replace those rubber hoses with the better hoses.)

RwP

Fuelly
post #126 of 130 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 05:41 PM
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphP View Post
I'm not sure the Cobra calipers fit - the replacement are usually from the Mustang GT or the Mustang V6 of that era.

And I wouldn't grind the brake hose any ... it's a LOT easier to relieve the caliper!

(Or do the smarter thing - grab a set of the stainless lines from Classic Tube - albeit I'd buy them from Victor at SpinningWheels-SC.COM - and replace those rubber hoses with the better hoses.)

RwP
The Cobra calipers fit; XR7-4.6 (Matt) has them on his car, as do many others from pics I've seen. Just haven't come across much info on putting them on.

Do the stainless lines that Spinning Wheels SC sell bolt right up with no grinding required?

1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6- 20% tint, removed air silencer and not much else! (Mustang hubs, Cobra brakes, Vogtland springs, Mark VIII LCAs, Sport shocks and more waiting to be installed)

2013 DIB GT 301A 6-speed- 15% tint, Kooks 1 7/8 mid lengths, off-road x and cat back, Barton 2-post bracket, JPC clutch line, Koni Yellows, Maximum Motorsports C/C plates, BMR K-member, A-arms, UCA & Mount, LCAs and relo brackets, Steeda Ultralites and PHB, Shaftmasters DS, Brembo wheels- Tuned by AED
post #127 of 130 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 05:47 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Yeah stainless requires no grinding since the block is so small.

There's no right way to do the grinding, I just prefer the block because you simply mirror the non ground side of the block to get the clearance you need, and it looks much more proffessinal IMO

-Matt
post #128 of 130 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 05:47 PM
Kind of slapped together

Yes they do, for the GT PBRs. They SHOULD if the Cobra PBRs can use the Tbird stock lines.

What they have is a round end, so you can turn it where it clears and fits.

RwP

Fuelly
post #129 of 130 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 10:05 PM
1st Gear Poster

Great write up,,,, i plan on getting my p.b.r calipers tomorrow.. There's alot of good info here...

lowered 1.5'' with vogtlands,, tokico ''blues'' on all 4 corners... 28% mirror tinted windows,, P.I.Intake swapped,, S.C side skirts and rear bumper..
post #130 of 130 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 06:40 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

This is an awesome upgrade; I'll be doing it to all my cars.

The calipers are available powdercoated from RA for less than $100 per pair, less if you have a core to return.

I bought slotted and drilled rotors as well; these brakes really Rock!!

These clear 15" wheels, BTW.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

I'm not Human enough to be human; but I'm trying to fit in, and I'm learning to fake it.

"Never said Hibbity..." - Brian Williams

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.