1994 Mark8 ABS leak - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

1994 Mark8 ABS leak

I searched a bit, and found nothing specific to this problem...so here goes...
-----
1994 Mark VIII 91.7k miles, car spent most of it's life around Va Beach, Va. (some mild salt air rust) In Raleigh NC now
-----
hub swapped with dual piston Cobra front calipers put on at 88k miles 1/2016, full fluid exchange/bleed at that time.
-----
about a month ago I noticed pedal travel was excessive (not spongy though). added about 4/5 of a pint to Mstr Cyl. no immediate change in pedal travel. about 2-3 days late the pedal firmed up real nice. In searching for the source of front end noise (total front end rebuild at ~90k miles) I noticed paint peeling from the hollow tube that spans the front of the kmember. looked up and see the ABS leakage. This was not leaking when the front end was rebuilt
-----
someone on another site feels very confident it's the gasket plate (with silicone gaskets that relax) between the pump and valve body. That gasket is discontinued so finding one from an old unit is the solution? I have an extra ABS unit, from a 93,4 or 5 iirc. ---
I will post more pics when I pull the fender liner, just wanted to get the ball rolling with some ideas on what it'll take to fix it.
Also, year make model of units that can be used here
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ABS 4.jpg (723.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg ABS 3.jpg (726.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg ABS 2.jpg (759.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg ABS 1.jpg (779.0 KB, 1 views)

1) '94 Mark VIII 91k, on air, Red garnett glaze, black interior total swap; hub swapped with Cobra front calipers 18" 5 spokes, jmod with cooler, Bilsteins, tbird solid rear sway bar, aftermarket audio system with 212 sub, tint

2)'98 Mark VIII LSC 124k, on air, medium charcoal green; ivory/mocha interior; jmod with cooler, tint, Bilsteins, tbird solid rear sway bar

Last edited by ddnsherrill; 09-14-2016 at 09:24 AM.
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 08:39 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
Pulling apart another unit will likely destroy that gasket as well. If the gasket is not available anymore, I would suggest swapping in a complete working used unit.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90SC 5-speed, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, soon to be transplanted into...
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-70 Torino GT Fastback project car. Needs EFI and a manual trans, but I'm not sure what motor to go with yet.
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

info I'm getting from my local friendly JY is compatible ABS vehicles will be:
Tbird 94-97
Cougar 94-97
Mark VIII 94-96
for the plate gasket, discontinued part # F3LY2C254A
----
is beefing up my flattened out gasket and option?

1) '94 Mark VIII 91k, on air, Red garnett glaze, black interior total swap; hub swapped with Cobra front calipers 18" 5 spokes, jmod with cooler, Bilsteins, tbird solid rear sway bar, aftermarket audio system with 212 sub, tint

2)'98 Mark VIII LSC 124k, on air, medium charcoal green; ivory/mocha interior; jmod with cooler, tint, Bilsteins, tbird solid rear sway bar

Last edited by ddnsherrill; 09-14-2016 at 03:24 PM.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

#5 in diagram
Attached Images
File Type: png blown up valve block scheme.png (141.6 KB, 2 views)

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 09:25 PM
Veteran Poster

Mine is leaking now as well. Hooray. Kind of hilarious that there are NOS valve bodies and pumps all over the place, but no gaskets anywhere to be found.

So yeah, I bought two Lincolns in a week.

My LarryLand Automotive Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Larry...61642343862942

My Scribd.com garbage: http://www.scribd.com/larry_vanzandt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.