1995 Thunderbird New Guy to Forum - Page 2 - TCCoA Forums

19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 01:26 PM
PostWhore

I would get some high quality ceramic tint on there to save the interior. Don't have to go real dark, the good stuff all has like 99% UV reduction. That red interior looks real nice, but it doesn't if it fades.

Can get some good deals on it in the cold season. I got some legal 35% last fall.

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 68k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 Crown Vic Police Interceptor - Brenda's car
Previous cars:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years
post #32 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 04:24 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Branded View Post
Not trying to turn this into a wizzing match but you have me confused. In my other post you said the car is only worth $1500, then here you say $3000 to $5000 here. Big difference on your opinion of what the car might be worth. I'm not here trying to sell the car I'm only trying to get an idea of what others feel the car is worth. If all these cars are worth with 14,000 original miles on them is $1500 why would anyone own one other than to drive the wheels off them then junk it. I'm not totally clueless when it come to classic cars. I've played with them for 40 years and own a 55 Chevy 2 door hardtop, 54 F100, and a 49 Dodge Wayfarer Roadster. I don't or didn't know what the value was on the mid 90s Thunderbirds with the miles and description I have provided of the car. I looked the car up on KBB and it seems undervalued that's the reason I can here to try and educate myself about the car and the true values of these Thunderbirds
You gave more details, and I thought on it deeper and figure it's worth closer to $3000 or so.

Me personally, I wouldn't buy it at that price, but I'm not shopping for it and it's not for sale out in the real world that I know of, only to you.
I would hope your father wants to pass it on to you more than just sell it outright, but that's none of my business.

I paid $3000 for a modified car with most of the "good stuff" already done to it to make it the car I wanted. It had PI heads/cams/intake, an aftermarket tune, higher RPM torque converter, one piece aluminum drive shaft, front and rear shock tower braces, 1989 SuperCoupe sway bars front and rear, and was on lowering springs. It also has the Mustang GT brake upgrade, a clean interior, and absolutely no rust. I would have paid a little more for it, but it's still a 20 year old car, and I had to put time and money into it nearly immediately due to an oil leak where the aftermarket oil pressure gauge was bleeding oil whenever the engine ran, a locked up AC Compressor a month after purchase, etc. None of which are huge deals, but I had to spend money on it over and above the purchase price. I also had to put tires on it, etc.

I love tweaking cars, but I want to do it on my terms more so than I need to fix it to get it to run so I can get to work. So, this is my "toy" car, and for me, the upper limit I'm willing to pay on one is in the $3000 to $4000 mark depending on what's been done to it. I knew the suspension had been mostly redone, I knew that it had most of the goodies I wanted, so that made it an easy purchase. For me, buying a 20 year old bone stock car is less attractive because I had a 10 year old bone stock car that I had to put a lot of time in to use as a daily driver.

It's your choice, and if you feel that giving your dad $6000 for his car is a good deal, go for it. Knowing what I know about what will need to be replaced, and how long it will take to do it, weighing that against time spent under the car instead of with my wife and daughter, etc, I wouldn't pay $3000 for it no matter how good the paint or interior are. That's just me, and my priorities are different than yours. I like these cars for their potential, not their "as is" if you catch my drift.

I know that once I put my engine in my car, I can turn right around and trade it in to a dealership and get my original $3000 out of it. I could easily sell it to most members here also for that $3000, and if I had the money, I'd be headed to go get that Mach 1 engined one too because it's a killer deal. I know that even with the low mileage, you can take it to a dealership and the most, absolute most they'll give you for it is $4000 as that's really close to NADA retail value. They need to make profit off it too, and they can probably mark it up a little to $5000 or $6000 and "work a deal" to sell it for $4500 or $5000 because they don't have to do much prep work on it, but to me, I just can't see spending that much on a stock car.

Please don't take me as attempting to offend you either. I love these cars, but think that in bone stock form, they're not quite where they should be. I've owned a bone stock 97, and now a modified 97. I'll take the modified car over stock any day. I just like them better.

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.

Last edited by Woodman; 11-07-2016 at 04:30 PM.
post #33 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Everyone has made some good points and gives me a lot to think about as to what to do about this car. Have to think it over as to either buy it or tell him to list it and see what he might be able to get out of it. He was thinking the car might be worth $8000, I hate to be the one to bust his bubble and tell him KBB values his car in the mid $4000 range.
Woodman likes this.
post #34 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 05:39 PM
2nd Gear Poster

I'd just be straight with him and print off papers showing where you get your numbers from. If he's gonna end up selling it in the 4k range I'm sure he'd rather atleast keep it in the family after the bubble is burst. $4000-$5000 sounds fair in my opinion. No it's not a "new" car.. Cars will deteriorate from not being driven regardless of storage methods, but you will have one of the nicest Tbirds around.
Woodman likes this.
post #35 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 04:49 AM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to steveg1988 Send a message via Skype™ to steveg1988
I second the suspension rebuild, even with 88,000 miles between Aug 1995 and Jan 2015 my car needed all new ball joints and suspension bushings up front, a trans fluid change, J-Mod done at that time. The car may be a time capsule in condition but stuff goes bad just from the weight of the car sitting on it. Expect to spend 400 bucks just for new rubber. No matter how good the tires look, replace them. 215/70R15 is cheap but your selections for anything other than minivan tires is nil.
post #36 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 07:49 AM
PostWhore

Sure, a suspension rebuild is likely during his ownership of the car. But you guys act like the suspension is going to fall out on the first drive, it's not. It's something he could plan for down the road. If there are no clunks, and no pulling to one side during braking, it's fine.

We bought an '04 Crown Vic PI two years ago with only 10k miles. All I have done so far suspension wise is replace the deteriorated upper ball joint boots with a set of boots from RobertP, which are indestructible. I suggest the OP does the same, and re-pack with grease. That will definitely get a lot more life out of them.

Sure, the rubber boots on the suspension pieces are likely to be brittle and cracked a little. But you have to drive the car without grease to wear out the joints, and it's hardly been driven yet!

Al
Woodman and Branded like this.

Previous cars:
post #37 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 10:18 AM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by T6Rocket View Post
Sure, a suspension rebuild is likely during his ownership of the car. But you guys act like the suspension is going to fall out on the first drive, it's not. It's something he could plan for down the road. If there are no clunks, and no pulling to one side during braking, it's fine.

We bought an '04 Crown Vic PI two years ago with only 10k miles. All I have done so far suspension wise is replace the deteriorated upper ball joint boots with a set of boots from RobertP, which are indestructible. I suggest the OP does the same, and re-pack with grease. That will definitely get a lot more life out of them.

Sure, the rubber boots on the suspension pieces are likely to be brittle and cracked a little. But you have to drive the car without grease to wear out the joints, and it's hardly been driven yet!

Al
Agreed. I think a lot of the doom and gloom people like to cast on low mile cars is out of a feel-good rationalization that they're better off with their 200k hooptie.

-Matt
post #38 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 11:56 AM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
Agreed. I think a lot of the doom and gloom people like to cast on low mile cars is out of a feel-good rationalization that they're better off with their 200k hooptie.
I apologize. I do appreciate the low mileage aspect, and yes the body being clean and the interior in good shape has a good bit of value. I was mostly "doom and gloom" about spending 2/3 more than the car actually values out at. As much as I love these cars, I just can't see spending $6K (or $8K, wow!) on one.

They're excellent cars, pretty much everything from Ford currently owes something to this chassis development, which says a lot considering how much the high ups at Ford hated it when it came out. Sadly, they just don't have the following that the Mustang has, and they're only really loved by those of us who both have had one and really enjoy cars in general.

2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.
post #39 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 05:32 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

If you replace the rubber in the front and rear suspensions with new stuff, get it aligned, with new tires; it will drive like a brand new car.

I did the Tbird last, and it's incredible; rides way better than my buddy's Infinity. (He noticed, not me)

I do the arms and tie rods in the front, the lca side strut rod bushings, and the rear control arm bushings.

The lower Knuckle bushings weren't available, so I went poly last time.
Branded likes this.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

I'm not Human enough to be human; but I'm trying to fit in, and I'm learning to fake it.

"Never said Hibbity..." - Brian Williams
post #40 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

Thanks again for all the input, gives me a clearer picture of these cars value. I'll keep you updated on how this unfolds.

Thanks again Dave
post #41 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 05:02 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Garage
Low miles but the years are still there

Quote:
Thanks for the replies, Kelly Blue book seems to have the car under valued. I realize it's not a highly collectible car but with 14,000 miles I was thinking it would be worth more. Like I said in my first post I'm not wanting to steal the car from my father. We are trying to come up with a fair price. We was both thinking around $9,000 but after searching the Internet these cars don't seem to fetch a whole lot of money. The car is basically still a brand new car.
I got my '95 two years ago with only 56,000. And just like Woodman said, expect to need to replace all rubber components in the under carriage. I ended up rebuilding the front end and the mechanic said there wasn't anything wrong with the parts themselves, but all the rubber had rotted (ball joint seals, spring seats, hoses, belt. It runs like a top and has been well worth the money I've spent to do everything. But considering this. If 9,000 sounds fair to you and your dad, reduce that figure by $3000 to cover all the rotten items and I'd say you'd be close.
Great find. I'm jealous....

Mr.Thunderbird
post #42 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 06:27 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

My 95 I bought 2 years ago had 44k miles, first thing I had to do is replace every suspension part under the car from front to back, everything was dry rotted
post #43 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1995 cougar xr7 View Post
My 95 I bought 2 years ago had 44k miles, first thing I had to do is replace every suspension part under the car from front to back, everything was dry rotted
Thanks for the reply, all good suggestions.
post #44 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 11:08 AM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Please let us know what price you and your Dad work out.

Thanks.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto.
post #45 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 04:47 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

If it was my son I would just give it to him, but I spoiled the hell out of my kids
Woodman likes this.
post #46 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

I don't want him to give the car to me nor do I expect it. There are 3 other siblings and I don't want any hard feelings, part of the reasons for getting an idea on what the car is actually worth.
post #47 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Well, here's the update. Had the car listed on Craigslist for my dad and got several responses Good and bad. The bad didn't fare to well, I bought the car myself and will drive the car. The car will never b a collector car but there will be a lot of dependable miles left. When I get the Tbird home I'll change all the fluids and filters, new tires and I'm also considering replacing the fuel pump due to 20 years of ethanol gas.
Woodman likes this.

Last edited by Branded; 03-05-2017 at 06:53 PM.
post #48 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 08:40 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Not to poke but a 95 with only lowering springs and 8k miles sold for 7g on mecum only.fully optioned too.
post #49 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 01:00 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94badbird View Post
Not to poke but a 95 with only lowering springs and 8k miles sold for 7g on mecum only.fully optioned too.
Yeah, but bear in mind the auction mentality... Something that is "only" $7000 at Mecum where they auction off million dollar cars, anything less than $30,000 is "cheap" in that group.

Auction pricing rarely reflects real world value for non exotics is what I'm saying.

post #50 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 02:04 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Well, here's the update. Had the car listed on Craigslist for my dad and got several responses Good and bad. The bad didn't fare to well, I bought the car myself and will drive the car. The car will never b a collector car but there will be a lot of dependable miles left. When I get the Tbird home I'll change all the fluids and filters, new tires and I'm also considering replacing the fuel pump due to 20 years of ethanol gas.
Sounds good, congrats!

The maintenance sounds like a good idea, but replacing the fuel pump is not necessary especially with those low miles.

The suspension is more likely to need addressed.

Al
Woodman likes this.

Previous cars:
post #51 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 02:17 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94badbird View Post
Not according to Mecum's website. The few LXs that actually sold any time recently were between $1,700 and $2,500
Woodman likes this.

-Matt
post #52 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 06:04 PM
1st Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to digitalgreasemonkey Send a message via Skype™ to digitalgreasemonkey
I bought a 94 LX V8 4.6. I thought it was in good condition for the age. Knew a reasonable amount of the work that had been done. It was from an older couple that I knew. And I was under the mistaken opinion that they had taken care of it. Make sure you look under the car and check out all the bushings and balljoints/control arms. You are going to have to change out the hoses, etc. Most likely the front and back suspension. Plus lots of little things, which you have to consider the personal wear and tear on yourself.

I would just say 3k at the most. And have the rest for repairs, maintenance. Once you get all the suspension stuff done, upgrade to greaseable everything. The car should last a really long time and treat you right.

Not sure what can/will happen to the exaust system. 14k miles total doesn't sound like a lot of use. Just make sure the odometer actually works.
post #53 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Not according to Mecum's website. The few LXs that actually sold any time recently were between $1,700 and $2,500
And, the condition and mileage on these cars was ? Guess I need to knock another grand off the value since I mislead everyone because of a typo. The Thunderbird is a 1994. oh and I didn't pay 8 grand for the car.
Woodman likes this.
post #54 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalgreasemonkey View Post
I bought a 94 LX V8 4.6. I thought it was in good condition for the age. Knew a reasonable amount of the work that had been done. It was from an older couple that I knew. And I was under the mistaken opinion that they had taken care of it. Make sure you look under the car and check out all the bushings and balljoints/control arms. You are going to have to change out the hoses, etc. Most likely the front and back suspension. Plus lots of little things, which you have to consider the personal wear and tear on yourself.

I would just say 3k at the most. And have the rest for repairs, maintenance. Once you get all the suspension stuff done, upgrade to greaseable everything. The car should last a really long time and treat you right.

Not sure what can/will happen to the exaust system. 14k miles total doesn't sound like a lot of use. Just make sure the odometer actually works.
I know the car well it belongs to my dad, he bought car new. Yes the speedometer and odometer works.
post #55 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Myself I think I done ok on the car, it will never be a collectible but I will agree to disagree with the with the car only having a $2500 value. $2500 cars in this area have 150,000 mile plus on them. So regardless I own it and will enjoy it doesn't matter what it worth. These cars are impossible to put a value on, it's worth whatever someone would pay for it. I'll have a near new car for a few grand vs head down to the dealership and forking over 35 grand.
post #56 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 07:31 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
If you wanted it that's all that matters, you can't put dollars on sentimental value, if I were forced to sell my car and had the chance to buy it back I'd pay twice it's worth. Market value is very different, and being at the bottom of depreciation the overall condition trumps what's on the odometer as far as premium value, and generally LXs rarely go for more than $4k in perfect low mileage condition - I've seen plenty of people list them for more, place a high starting bid, etc. but they never ever sell for it. SCs seem to be slowly climbing though, so maybe the pendulum is swinging a bit, but even then those hit their ceiling in the $6k range for perfect low mile examples, and they're actually rare.
Branded likes this.

-Matt
post #57 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Been doing a search of the Mecums site also, haven't found any 15,000 mile 1994 LX Thunderbirds in that sold in the $1,700-$2,500 range, mind sharing the link to your search.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.