4Likes
  • 1 Post By RalphP
  • 1 Post By Woodman
  • 1 Post By T6Rocket
  • 1 Post By Mach1Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Whining sound over 65 mph

Hello I am new to the forum and new to thunderbirds but I bought a 95 ford thunderbird with 200,000 on it and I have a couple problems with the car. The first problem is that my output shaft seal on the back of the transmission began leaking but only when I'm driving and mostly at highway speed which I discovered when I got to work one day and seen some light smoke coming from under my hood because its leaking onto the third cat, when the car is parked it doesn't seem to leak at all, and today is a very cold day here in Michigan 9 degrees cold and I get on the highway like normal and get it up to 65 mph and I started hearing this humming noise coming from what seems to be the transmission tunnel area, I slow down under 65 it goes away speed up over 70 gets louder, the transmission fluid is full been keeping a sharp eye on it since I discovered the leak and the leak is slow only have had to add to it once so far over three weeks and what I added was very little. The car shifts fine no shudder or slipping and the fluid is nice and pink, and I don't know what to do or where to start with this new noise I know I have to get the seal fixed but I don't want to spend the money on having that done if there is something else wrong with the trans I'm not 100% sure that is where the noise is coming from but from what I can tell that's where it seems to be and being that it only is happening at highway speed it makes things even harder for me to figure out, I am a young father have a very limited budget so I cant afford to replace the output shaft seal if the trans is beginning to take a crap on me because obviously that would be a big waist of money any help or input from you guys would be greatly appreciated I have to get this car reliable again thank you for your time hope you guys can help point me in the right direction.
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 09:00 PM
Kind of slapped together

*warning-joke ahead*

You have a whining sound over 65MPH? Don't take the mother in law with you, that'll stop the whining and that nasty noise from the back of the car!

RwP
Woodman likes this.

Fuelly
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 06:45 AM Thread Starter

LOL Ill kick her out today she's been getting on my nerves anyway.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 10:29 AM
3rd Gear Poster

My Tbird always had a bit of a rumble noise at higher speeds. Last weekend I replaced the u joints and front wheel bearings and it's much smoother; rumble is gone. Things just start to get worm out when you get high mileage and age. Maybe you have something similar going on with yours.

96 Cougar Sport
96 Tbird LX
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 12:03 PM
PostWhore

Garage
I'd check out the hubs, if they're original (and that's a high possibility) they may be wearing pretty badly. Fronts are easy, slide on and off, but you need a BIG torque wrench to get the hub retaining bolt (buy new Motorcraft at the dealer, don't get the cheap autoparts store Dorman, it'll chew up your threads) to the 250lb/ft it needs.

Rears are tougher, they need pressed out and in. Take the knuckle off and have it done.
CDsDontBurn likes this.

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 10:32 AM
PostWhore

I can't help but think your leak and noise are related. Look up "forced-lube mod" for the transmission tail shaft.

I would keep a closer eye on that fluid level. Maybe they are not related, but I would get that seal replaced anyway.

Al
CDsDontBurn likes this.

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 68k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 Crown Vic Police Interceptor - Brenda's car
Previous cars:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 08:30 PM
1st Gear Poster

Garage
People often overlook what caused a leaking seal. Good mechanics look to eliminate the cause. While the hubs are a good thing to check on a high mile car, it shouldnt cause noise from your transmission. Bad transmissions usually appear with sjifting issues, etc. A leaky seal will only get worse and running a trans low on fluid can wipe a trans quickly. A trans rebuild is probsbly close to $2k on a 4r70w.

I would suggest as previously mentioned having the driveshaft checked. Worn ujoints could cause it to rotate a bit out of balance and that could easily cause the seal to leak. I have to admit i do not have any experience withbthe forced lube mod, and that should also b3 checked out.

None of these issues is going to go away on their own. Address it before it gets worse and leaves you witout a car or a big repair bill.

GOOD LUCK.
CDsDontBurn likes this.

96 Saleen Cobra 55k
98 Mark VIII 91K
97 Mark VIII LSC 175k
94 Mark VIII 122k
84 Bronco 351 HO 115K
66 Mercury Monterey 390
49 Lincoln 2 dr
70 Mustang Mach 1 351C 4V Restored
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Well iv determined that the noise is coming from the front passenger side somewhere. We have had a couple warmer days and the sound is gone. Then after it drops below 20 degrees it comes back. I stuck my ear down by the trans tunnel while driving down the highway (sketchy I know) while it was making the noise and its definitely not coming from the transmission like I had originally thought. The leak hasn't got any worse and the transmission is still full from the last time I topped it off and the fluid is nice and pink. I am still keeping a sharp eye on the leak as well. I plan on getting the seal replaced and maybe a aftermarket aluminum driveshaft put in at the same time here soon but still puzzled at what could be making this whining/buzzy sound.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 05:54 AM
5th Gear Poster

Possible exhaust shield or cat. I had a pickup that would do the samething and it turned out to be a cracked exhaust manifold. Driveshaft is a good place to start and if you can afford it, flush the tranny and use Mercon 5 only.

1997 Mark 8 LSC

Former owner:
1996 Thunderbird lx 4.6
1994 Thunderbird lx 4.6
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Does anyone know where I can get a Richard m tube I really want one for my car?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.