• 1 Post By Grog6

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Garage
PCN chip

Anyone have experience with PCN chips?

Ford Thunderbird

They offer one for 94/95 V8 Tbirds and I'm thinking about it.
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 11:15 AM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhughes909 View Post
Anyone have experience with PCN chips?

Ford Thunderbird

They offer one for 94/95 V8 Tbirds and I'm thinking about it.

That's a complete waste of money.

You want a real tune.

Get yourself an xcal2, 3, or 4 used, UNLOCKED, on ebay, and call Don Lasota at Lasota Racing.

That totals less than $300, if you get a good deal on the xcal.

And you can use it for datalogging.
Woodman likes this.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

I'm not Human enough to be human; but I'm trying to fit in, and I'm learning to fake it.

"Never said Hibbity..." - Brian Williams
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 11:45 AM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
It's a scam.

moved to newbie forum

-Matt
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 02:12 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Hahahahaa.
Check out some of the quotes about this "product"

Quote:
I recently bought one of these chips and I made the mistake of looking at the reviews after I bought it, I popped open the "module" and all that's in there is a half ass glue job and a piece of metal, no software at all.
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discus...15065_ds509816

1) It only looks like there are two wires coming out of this module in the picture. Logically speaking, the only way that a single signal could significantly affect the tune in any way that could be potentially positive (other examples would be to cut spark or cut the fuel pump -- neither of which would have the desired boost of more powah), would be to trick the MAF into underreporting the airflow going into the engine and therefore "leaning" out the engine. A resistor could do that by lowering the voltage the ECU reads from the MAF for a given airflow. Running more lean = more powah and better fuel economy but going Too lean = detonation. Not so good.
- This is much like how the MAF "re-calibration" tubes are supposed to adjust and compensate for bigger injectors. It might work for some (even maybe most) of the airflow curve but it's not going to be as exact as actually modifying the fuel/air tables in a "proper" tune.
- IIRC, except for the 3.8SC no tbird engine has a knock sensor that the ECU uses to retard ignition timing is knock is detected.. Therefore, running leaner than stock esp with a glued together chip is in no way a good idea with one of these engines since how would it know you are experiencing engine knock?

2) Realistically speaking ANY proper tune on a N/A engine will only get you 10% if the baseline ECU can still run the current setup (you WILL need a tune if you upgrade the injectors but if you do basic exhaust upgrades or even a mild cam/replacement heads as examples your stock ECU will be able to handle the new setup). You should automatically mistrust anyone who offers you more than that.

BOTTOM LINE/TLDR advice:
PLEASE buy this chip. Things have been quiet around here recently so we could all use a good laugh.

More Useful Advice: the best bang/buck for these cars performance wise are shorter rear gears. Used 3.73:1 gears can be had for $30-60 locally and while it can be a bit messy setting up a rear diff is fairly straightforward work (although a press is needed).
You can also remove the diff, farm the rebuuild work out fairly inexpensively ($200 or less in labor), and then reinstall it yourself.
-g

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

Last edited by S4gunn; 01-30-2017 at 02:17 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 06:26 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

I found that by recalibrating the MAF/injector setup to a stock Tbird, I picked up a lot of precision, (throttle response, better shifting, etc.) but no real additional power.

I basically went thru the procedure in Don's book for mapping the transfer curves, and setting them more exactly than stock.

You have to have a wideband, and a lot of patience.

This MN12 gets ~2mpg better than the other ones, for the same drive and driving style; but the others are both modded and tuned.

Randomly tweaking the MAF to read lean is a great way to dust a motor at WOT on a cold, dry morning. Even a stock one...

I can't believe people can sell this stuff, but...
Woodman likes this.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

I'm not Human enough to be human; but I'm trying to fit in, and I'm learning to fake it.

"Never said Hibbity..." - Brian Williams
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 08:04 AM
4th Gear Poster

Garage
This would at least be better than a sealed mystery box if you wanted to play with things-

IST Products

1995 T-Bird. PI 4.6. Bullitt intake. Big MHS cams. 4,200 Dirty Dogg converter. Kooks headers. Full exhaust. 4" Drive Shaft. 4:10s.
Waiting on a tune.

1997 Lincoln Mark VIII FX2 Sand Dune Machine.

1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC- stock
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 08:55 AM
Kind of slapped together

If you want to tune your car, I really see only one way to do it.

1) Pick a competent tuner to work with you, such as LaSota ( LaSota Racing Ford Tuning & Training ), Dalke ( https://www.facebook.com/pg/XR7Dave/photos/ - I thought they had a separate web page!), or our own Decipha (send him a PM here).

2) Pick up the tuner they recommend.

3) Also, pick up a wide band O2 sensor.

4) Start working with that tuner (person) and the tuner (hardware) to get your car running like you want.

But if you want to go cheap - get that wide band. NOW. And also grab something like Torque Pro (if you're running Android) and a Bluetooth OBDII reader so you can monitor what your car is doing, or at least what the ECU thinks it's doing.

Anything else, might as well be slapping V-TEC stickers on the car "cuz they give you like 50 HP!!"

RwP

Fuelly
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Garage
Perfect. Thanks for the replies and info. This gets me started in the right direction.

I've owned my 94LX for 20 years now and used to do a lot with it in the early 2000's. I haven't done much with it over the last 10 years or so. Just had it painted with SC kit on it. Hub swap and wheels/tires are next. Still lots of questions and this site is most helpful.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.