There's a New Bird In Town - Page 2 - TCCoA Forums

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So I'm leaning towards the 4.6 either the PI motor or the DOHC. Either way I will definitely do the TR3650 swap. Since, the tranny is Cheaper and my current 4.6 still has many miles left on it I will probably replace the tranny first and then swap in a new motor later on down the road. Do you guys know of any reputable websites or companies that would sell a remanufactured 05 + TR3650. Or would I be better off trying to find a Mustang in the Junkyard and pull it from that?

Thanks

Kevin O.
94 Thunderbird Lx
post #32 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 06:57 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Garage
Nice looking car man. Welcome.

I suggest the DOHC with a T45. To me it the easiest way to make a reliable 400+ manual Tbird. You can use your 2v computer, just need it tuned.
the 99 Cobra diff is hard to come by from my experience, if you already have one that's great. I got a trak loc from Thunderbird SC shop and plan on throwing it in sometime in the next two weeks.

The two tone looks nice. Big fan of that shade blue.

Its really cool. Good luck with your plans.

Just read you're going 3650. Its probably cheaper to buy a parts car or search ebay.

Lurking

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 02-05-2017 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Merge posts
post #33 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
https://www.supercoupeperformance.co...ts-save-15-528

MadMikey - Are these the motor mounts that I would need to get the 351w to fit on the 4.6 K-member?

Kevin O.
94 Thunderbird Lx
post #34 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 03:02 PM
̇

Garage
No, You need the actual mounting brackets..Specifically the top plates..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 392Bird View Post
Here is what the stock 5.0 mount looks like. It consist of the bottom piece, the center liquid filled section, and the top piece.

Installed:

Unless you can find someone parting out a 5.0 MN12, it might be easier to just buy custom mounts from TurboChuck

Type 6

Rayo..

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there."George Harrison
post #35 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 07:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidman View Post
https://www.supercoupeperformance.co...ts-save-15-528

MadMikey - Are these the motor mounts that I would need to get the 351w to fit on the 4.6 K-member?
I have a set of stock style 5.0 mounts for our cars. I have solid rubber mounts in them. I may be willing to part with them too.

"When the only tool you have is a hammer, suddenly everything looks like a nail."
"Nothing is foolproof because fools are so ingenious."
1993 Ford Thunderbird LX
Coast High Peformance 342 Stroker
-Low Tension Oil Rings, Zero Gap Seconds
-10.5:1 Compression Ratio
Trick Flow Twisted Wedge heads
Trick Flow Stage 1 cam
Trick Flow Street Heat Intake
Mac 1 5/8 long tube headers
FRPP 42# injectors
3.73 gears
Custom aluminum driveshaft
Built Darrin/dirtyd0g AOD with wide ratio gearset
dirtyd0g 9.5" Custom Torque Converter
Quarterhorse ECM from Moates
Zeitronix ZT-2 WB O2
No times under new system.......yet.
OMGHI2U

post #36 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I actually contacted chuck from turbochuck awhile back about buying a set of his Type 6 motor mounts but he said that he has stopped making motor mounts.

So is the 94/95 4.6 Kmember the same as the 5.0 Kmember that was in the 91-93 5.0 HO tbirds? Because Madmikey was saying I would just need the motor mounts from a 5.0 and not the whole cross-member. There are a couple of 91-93 5.0 Tbirds and some 3.8's at a local yard so I could pull the entire crossmember if I needed it, or I could just take the motor mounts.

I'm assuming that the Crossmember is identical as well as the motor mounts for the 5.0 and the 3.8.

Then there is also the Tubular crossmember from AJE but from what I read the people who have bought it had problems with fitment and it did not allign corectly.

AJE Suspension TB-80UM: K-Member 1989-97 Ford Thunderbird | JEGS

Kevin O.
94 Thunderbird Lx
post #37 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 07:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
I actually contacted chuck from turbochuck awhile back about buying a set of his Type 6 motor mounts but he said that he has stopped making motor mounts.

So is the 94/95 4.6 Kmember the same as the 5.0 Kmember that was in the 91-93 5.0 HO tbirds? Because Madmikey was saying I would just need the motor mounts from a 5.0 and not the whole cross-member. There are a couple of 91-93 5.0 Tbirds and some 3.8's at a local yard so I could pull the entire crossmember if I needed it, or I could just take the motor mounts.

I'm assuming that the Crossmember is identical as well as the motor mounts for the 5.0 and the 3.8.

Then there is also the Tubular crossmember from AJE but from what I read the people who have bought it had problems with fitment and it did not allign corectly.

AJE Suspension TB-80UM: K-Member 1989-97 Ford Thunderbird | JEGS
Wow, I really got lucky on the set I got from Turbo Chuck.

I believe that the K member is the same from 89-97 on all models. It's just the mounts you need I'm reasonably sure. You may find a set of mounts in the local yard but the stock mounts were fluid filled. The set that I have are solid rubber at least. If you're interested I think we could work something out.

"When the only tool you have is a hammer, suddenly everything looks like a nail."
1993 Ford Thunderbird LX
Trick Flow Stage 1 cam
FRPP 42# injectors
3.73 gears
Zeitronix ZT-2 WB O2
OMGHI2U

post #38 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 08:43 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
I was saying you need the top plates from a 91-93 5.0 cougar. There are 2 different mn12 k-members. One is for all 89-92 cars, and the other is for all 93-97 cars. Engine choice does not affect the k-member that was installed. Where the difficulty comes in is if you want to drop a 5.0 or any small block ford into any 93 or newer MN12, that leaves you searching specifically for a set of 93 5.0 mounts because you need the 5.0 top plate and the newer style lower brackets. What I was trying to explain is that if you have trouble finding specifically a 93 5.0 to get the mounts from, then you can make your own by getting upper plates from a 91 or 92 5.0 mn12, and combining them with lower brackets from a 93+ 3.8 MN12, which will work with the stock 5.0 middle pieces. What you linked are just the middle pieces, which you will need, but that is not all you would need.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90SC 5-speed, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, soon to be transplanted into...
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-70 Torino GT Fastback project car. Needs EFI and a manual trans, but I'm not sure what motor to go with yet.
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #39 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 08:51 PM

Garage
I have a set of top plates, middle mounts and bottom brackets. It sounds like the top plates are pretty much made of unobtanium at this point so I have something useful I think.

1993 Ford Thunderbird LX
Trick Flow Stage 1 cam
FRPP 42# injectors
3.73 gears
Zeitronix ZT-2 WB O2
OMGHI2U

post #40 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So the 1992 5.0 and the 1993 5.0 had different crossmembers but shared the same top plate mounting brackets.

Because the crossmember is different between the two years that is why the lower brackets changed. That is what was confusing me, they have the same engine and top mounts but different crossmembers and lower mounts.

So if I can't find specifically a 1993 that had a 5.0, then i would have to resort to a 1993 or newer 3.8 and mix and match the 5.0 upper mount from 1991-1993, with the 1993 or newer 3.8 lower mount because it has the same crossmember and lower mounts.

If I can find a 1993 3.8, will the top mounts fit the 5.0?

Kevin O.
94 Thunderbird Lx
post #41 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Also, would a 89-92 kmember bolt into my 1994 car since it shares the same mn12 chassis?

Kevin O.
94 Thunderbird Lx
post #42 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 05:05 AM

Garage
Quote:
So the 1992 5.0 and the 1993 5.0 had different crossmembers but shared the same top plate mounting brackets.

Because the crossmember is different between the two years that is why the lower brackets changed. That is what was confusing me, they have the same engine and top mounts but different crossmembers and lower mounts.

So if I can't find specifically a 1993 that had a 5.0, then i would have to resort to a 1993 or newer 3.8 and mix and match the 5.0 upper mount from 1991-1993, with the 1993 or newer 3.8 lower mount because it has the same crossmember and lower mounts.

If I can find a 1993 3.8, will the top mounts fit the 5.0?
My entire set of mounts (bottom, top and middle) are from a 93. It seems like it fits the bill and keeps you from having to get a different K member or from having to mix and match any parts.

1993 Ford Thunderbird LX
Trick Flow Stage 1 cam
FRPP 42# injectors
3.73 gears
Zeitronix ZT-2 WB O2
OMGHI2U

post #43 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 05:13 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
Now you've got it!

No, the 3.8 top plates are completely different, and won't work. The k-member would swap over just fine, but that is a lot of work compared to just finding the right motor mount parts. Literally the only difference between the k-members is the motor mount pads are about 1" further apart on the newer ones. If you do decide on a SBF swap, just buy the mounts from MaddMartigan and be done.
MaddMartigan likes this.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90SC 5-speed, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, soon to be transplanted into...
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-70 Torino GT Fastback project car. Needs EFI and a manual trans, but I'm not sure what motor to go with yet.
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.