nut drove me nuts - TCCoA Forums

1Likes
  • 1 Post By 94badbird

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

nut drove me nuts

Since the day i got this car it had a lock lug on one of the rims..it has always bothered me,lingered in my mind when ever i drove..
So tonight since it was in the mid 30s which is noce for up here i gave my car a lubing and some idea flew in my head,2min later the lug was off..
I hammered the pliers in and used an extension to turn them...hehe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0210172210.jpg (1.41 MB, 3 views)

98' mark8 LCS black on black.
Full 2.5in exhaust with Xpipe and intake silencer delete.
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 07:27 AM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94badbird View Post
Since the day i got this car it had a lock lug on one of the rims..it has always bothered me,lingered in my mind when ever i drove..
So tonight since it was in the mid 30s which is noce for up here i gave my car a lubing and some idea flew in my head,2min later the lug was off..
I hammered the pliers in and used an extension to turn them...hehe
So how long have you had the car, and you've never been able to take the wheel off?

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

I had the car almost a year now...

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 08:58 AM
4th Gear Poster

Cool idea, glad it worked. Last weekend I did some suspension work and when I pulled the wheel center caps saw locknuts. I was furious, didn't know they were factory on '96. Found the key in the bottom of the glove box.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

I found mine was factory also, i have a sticker inthe trunk by the door code thats gives a ford tech number to call for a replacement key..it was no longer in service though of course but them pliers and inginuinity worked just fine.
Woodman likes this.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 08:55 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94badbird View Post
I had the car almost a year now...
I just can't imagine not having a wheel off in a year. I'm picky, I pull the wheels off and inspect the brakes, boots, etc when I buy a car. Glad you got them off though. I had an 85 Pontiac 6000 when I was 16, took it in for new tires and an alignment and the morons used an impact on the lock nuts (after I specifically told them to hand torque the nuts, I HATE impact tools on wheels) and they broke the key. Had to take it to a welding shop for them to weld it back together, so I could get the lock off, and made the tire shop pay that bill, and give me a new set of lugnuts for the hassle.

To this day, I generally take my wheels off the car and take them in myself to get new tires mounted, and get alignments done at a good shop I know that does very good work.

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.