Spoiler+16"rims+drums=Sport? - TCCoA Forums

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rodeo Joe

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Spoiler+16"rims+drums=Sport?

This is my second tbird. My last tbird was non sport but had 4 wheel disc. The one I have now is 1996 red with spoiler, larger rims, but has drear drum brakes. Which calipers/discs do I need for the front wheels?

*Edit It's actually a 1996. I haven't touched the car since I bought it. I found out about transmission slipping after the transmission was hot on the way home about 50 miles after driving as well as some oil leaks. At least I paid scrap metal price for it but it kind of set me back in my motivation on this vehicle.

Last edited by Tokuman; 03-05-2017 at 01:28 PM.
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 07:09 PM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
All 97s came with 4 wheel disc brakes, if you have a 97 with rear drums somewhere along the way they were swapped out.

Check the caliper bracket, there should be a 15 or 16 engraved on it.

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 07:43 AM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokuman View Post
This is my second tbird. My last tbird was non sport but had 4 wheel disc. The one I have now is 1997 red with spoiler, larger rims, but has drear drum brakes. Which calipers/discs do I need for the front wheels?
The only real tell tale that it's a sport is the spring code JJJJ. All sports had the larger Mark VIII front brake rotors, 16" wheels, and spoiler, but the spoilers were available as an option without the sport package, many people put 16" wheels on them after the fact, etc. Spring code is the only real way to know.

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 09:30 AM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

If the spoiler is from the factory, it will have SPLR on the coretag. (top of the radiator area, bolted on.)

I think it says SPORT on sports, but ICBW.

It will say MOON on moonroof cars, also.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

I'm not Human enough to be human; but I'm trying to fit in, and I'm learning to fake it.

"Never said Hibbity..." - Brian Williams
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 09:49 AM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post
If the spoiler is from the factory, it will have SPLR on the coretag. (top of the radiator area, bolted on.)

I think it says SPORT on sports, but ICBW.

It will say MOON on moonroof cars, also.
And yes, all 97's had rear disk brakes, not sure why anyone would swap in drums.

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 10:02 AM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Maybe it's not a 97!

Just kidding, but some of the 96's did have the drum brakes.

Joe
Woodman likes this.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 12:45 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to steveg1988 Send a message via Skype™ to steveg1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeo Joe View Post
Maybe it's not a 97!

Just kidding, but some of the 96's did have the drum brakes.

Joe
My 1996 has rear drums. Came with 15" alloys, no spoiler. I swapped the 16" sport wheels on
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

It's a 1996 with sport rims and spoiler. I knew that because of the cup holders but i haven't really messed with the car much.

From what I've searched on the site i can just measure the rotors and go from there for the breaks.

Last edited by Tokuman; 03-05-2017 at 01:44 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 02:14 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to steveg1988 Send a message via Skype™ to steveg1988
Quote:
It's a 1996 with sport rims and spoiler. I knew that because of the cup holders but i haven't really messed with the car much.

From what I've searched on the site i can just measure the rotors and go from there for the breaks.
DO what i am doing and convert to the dual piston mustang calipers
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 05:06 PM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Quote:

If it's a 96 that changes everything. Early 96 Sports did not come with the bigger Mark VIII brakes, that was a mid year change.

Pull the front wheel off and check the caliper bracket for either a 15 or a 16. That will let you know what size pads you need.

Have you checked the door tag for the suspension (JJJJ) code?

Joe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.