2Likes
  • 1 Post By Kenz
  • 1 Post By S4gunn

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Garage
Do I have Posi-Trac/ LSD

Not sure how to tell? Was that even an option?
My VIN is 1FAPP62T9PH174879

Curious as I'm thinking it's time to get the fluid changed.

Thanks guys!
N
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 09:44 AM
3rd Gear Poster

This should help you find the axle code...

TCCoA Tech Articles

Or go find an empty parking lot.... When doing it this way it's best to bring a friend to record it lol
Natesriv likes this.

96 Cougar Sport
96 Tbird LX
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 10:07 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenz View Post
This should help you find the axle code...

TCCoA Tech Articles

Or go find an empty parking lot.... When doing it this way it's best to bring a friend to record it lol
Or put the rear end on stands (tires up in the air) and with the ebrake off, spin one wheel by hand. If they go in the same direction, you have a TL. If the opposite, unlimited slip differential.

-g
Natesriv likes this.

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by S4gunn View Post
Or put the rear end on stands (tires up in the air) and with the ebrake off, spin one wheel by hand. If they go in the same direction, you have a TL. If the opposite, unlimited slip differential.

-g
Dangit, I'd forgotten about that old school check!

So if they spin together I have LSD/TL

If they spin opposite, I've not zip, nilch, nada...

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 10:44 AM
Kind of slapped together

If you want limited slip - a) you can sometimes find a LSD 8.8 IRS pumpkin in the boneyards (take that gear/diff list with you while cruising the U-Pull-It!); b) they come up for sale on Ebay sometimes (28 spline 8.8 IRS TrakLok); c) if nothing else, there are after market ones available to replace the TrakLok from Ford.

RwP

Fuelly
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 10:57 AM
̇

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natesriv
If they spin opposite, I've not zip, nilch, nada...
Yeah, you got something alright..

One tire fire, one wheel peel, peg leg, the list goes on..lol

You can still have fun with an open rear end though..

Unless you plan on changing gears at some point, I wouldn't even mess with it if it's functioning like normal..
Check your fluid, and add some if it's low..

Rayo..

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there."George Harrison
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 11:10 AM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
So no one's going to jump on the fact that the OP called TRAC-LOK Posi-Trac?... Man this forum is truly at rock bottom

I agree with Rayo, if it's an open there's really no point changing the fluid.

-Matt
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Garage
I'm not wanting to do anything to it. Was just more curious. I've seen an LSD rebuild on Wheeler Dealer when Edd redid the Mustang GT.

I do want to have the diff fluid changed. Looks like it's a one plug in/out setup.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 11:56 AM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
The hole is the fill, the cover needs to come off to drain it effectively.

Like I said if it's an open you can just leave it be unless it's leaking from the seals, if you are insistent then I suggest replacing the seals while you're at it.

-Matt
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Garage
It's not leaking. Car only has 82K driven by older folks. I doubt it needs it now.

just for future reference.

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 12:33 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Based on what I've seen, the LSD is a fairly rare option on non SuperCoupe Thunderbirds. It was an option, and some folks got it, but most didn't. It wasn't part of the sport appearance package, or any other "package" option group that I'm aware of, so either they checked the box or they didn't.

SC's were more common with them as they were the "performance" line. Fairly certain the ABS/Traction Control equipped models did not have track lock as they relied on the traction control to take it's place.

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 01:13 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Traction Assist is key, Trac-Lok could be ordered with ABS. 94-95 SCs with the automatic came with Traction Assist standard, so all 94-95 Auto SCs had an open diff.

-Matt
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 01:57 PM
PostWhore

Our '04 CVPI has both traction assist and Trak-lok, which is pretty rare. Trak-lok on a Crown Vic cop car is surprisingly somewhat rare. You would think it would be mandatory.

As far as MN-12's, I am 0 for 3 in the trak-lok department. But that's about to change.

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 68k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 Crown Vic Police Interceptor - Brenda's car
Previous cars:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 03:24 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
1) In defence of open diffs: they are much more stable in the rain as you are less likely to break traction and start drifting in a corner when it's rainy outside.
2) I wouldn't mess with the rear diff fluid until you have a set of replacement gears and/or a TL unit to install. Rear gears can be had used for cheap from a mustang guy wanting to upgrade. IIRC, a TL unit from a SC is still readily available in JYs but the rebuild kit is ~$100 + time.

-g

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 03:40 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Open diffs also don't break traction when cornering under throttle; Trac-Lok is for straight line use, lol.

If you want to do curves, you need a real load sharing diff, not some clutches that slip erratically.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

I'm not Human enough to be human; but I'm trying to fit in, and I'm learning to fake it.

"Never said Hibbity..." - Brian Williams
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 08:59 AM
PostWhore

The only way to break traction in the rain with trak-lok is to get into the throttle. If you are getting into the throttle in a corner in the rain, you should expect something to happen.

It's still better than not going anywhere, with the inside tire spinning away.

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 68k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 Crown Vic Police Interceptor - Brenda's car
Previous cars:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 09:57 AM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Plus when you do break traction power isn't ping ponging between tires like with an open diff, Trac Lok makes the car eminently more controllable. Opens are better when you HAVE grip - race compound tires on a smooth dry track, best of both worlds in that situation is a load sharing diff like a Torsen or Tru Trac as Grog mentioned.

-Matt

Last edited by XR7-4.6; 03-07-2017 at 10:04 AM.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 10:47 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Agreed that traclock makes the car more controllable. However in low traction or when pushing the car hard; someone who isn't use to driving a rear wheel drive car may get into trouble with the traclock.

Since I grew up driving open rwd cars, finally upgrading my Cougar to traclock was pretty awesome. It keeps the car so much more planted and when you get lose you can pull some pretty impressive maneuvers...

96 Cougar Sport
96 Tbird LX
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 11:38 AM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
You can easily get yourself into trouble pushing the car hard with an open diff car in low traction too, I had my car in high school, I KNOW LOL. If a rear drive newbie gets themselves into a situation like that but has a basic understanding of counter-steering they'll have a much less hairy time getting the LSD equipped car pointed back in the right direction right out the gate. Opens are arguably a good way to learn and understand the forces at play though, you learn how quickly a little a minor fishtail can turn into a 180 with overcorrection, and then when you move on to a car with LSD (or swap it in) you feel like Ken Block by comparison. The rear end occasionally walking out in the rain or snow just becomes an uneventful quirk.

-Matt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.