Need ideas on changing engines..... - TCCoA Forums

3Likes
  • 1 Post By Woodman
  • 1 Post By XR7-4.6

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Red face Need ideas on changing engines.....

I have a '96 LX with a 4.6 it currently has 166,650 miles on it and actually still runs really well, but I know the day i going to come that I need to rebuild the engine or change it out. I am thinking of going old school and putting a 351W in it. Anyone else done this? I would really appreciate anyone' input and/or options. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 05:44 PM
Kind of slapped together

There's several threads on here about 351W swaps; biggest problem (well, two!) are a) it's a completely different bird (pardon the pun!) from the 4.6 in yours, so you're looking at a complete ECU change or delete; and b) due to the higher deck height, it won't easily fit under the stock hood.

Why not go 4V? It fits, it works, and there's a lot of those also.

RwP

Fuelly
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 07:48 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

I'm not Human enough to be human; but I'm trying to fit in, and I'm learning to fake it.

"Never said Hibbity..." - Brian Williams

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 08:16 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
4.6 SOHCs are one of the most long lasting engines on the road, it's highly unlikely that day will ever come for you.

351 is doable but you need a different trans and it won't clear the hood and they have no power unless you build them

-Matt
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 09:07 PM
PostWhore

Garage
The 4.6 SOHC is well known to be reliable beyond 300,000 if simple maintenance is performed (oil/coolant changes).

The 180,000 mile Explorer motor I am putting in still has visible cross hatching in the cylinder bores.

Use good oil, 5w30 or 0w30. Change it often so it doesn't sludge up, and the motor will be fine.

Want more power, PI swap it, port the heads, get aftermarket cams and headers and you'll have plenty of power.
If you want top end, 4v heads, or swap in a block from a Mark VIII to save yourself 80lbs.
T6Rocket likes this.

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
PI Swapped NPI motor with some port work on the heads, PI cams, 80mm MAF, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the reply, I forgot about the height........ I'll look in the the 4V.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
The 4.6 SOHC is well known to be reliable beyond 300,000 if simple maintenance is performed (oil/coolant changes).

The 180,000 mile Explorer motor I am putting in still has visible cross hatching in the cylinder bores.

Use good oil, 5w30 or 0w30. Change it often so it doesn't sludge up, and the motor will be fine.

Want more power, PI swap it, port the heads, get aftermarket cams and headers and you'll have plenty of power.
If you want top end, 4v heads, or swap in a block from a Mark VIII to save yourself 80lbs.
Well I am glad to hear that it is a good engine. I think maybe I am getting paranoid about the current mileage. The car has been well taken care of since I bought it brand new in 1995....though it is a 1996. Regular oil changes and maintenance. She is kept in the garage and still has great paint and like new interior. The only major work done was I had the suspension rebuilt last year and now she drives and feels like a new car. The only issue I have had is the dam heater core !!!!! been replaced 4 times for various reasons after the original one went out at 16 years.....currently back in the shop for the heater core due to electrolysis.... other than that it has been an excellent car.
I do like your suggestions on more power and will look into it. Thank again

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
4.6 SOHCs are one of the most long lasting engines on the road, it's highly unlikely that day will ever come for you.

351 is doable but you need a different trans and it won't clear the hood and they have no power unless you build them
Good to know about the 4.6....hopefully I will never have to replace it. I know out of all the cars I have owned over the years, this Bird has been the best. Thank you

Last edited by Rodeo Joe; 03-07-2017 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Merged posts
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 02:03 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
The thing to do to keep the heater core trouble free is, first and foremost, spend the extra money and buy Ford, not aftermarket. To keep it long lasting flush out the coolant every few years, and add a ground strap from the core inlet or outlet to the engine or chassis(do it with the radiator as well) to prevent electrolysis.
Woodman likes this.

-Matt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.