3Likes
  • 1 Post By racecougar
  • 1 Post By S4gunn
  • 1 Post By jco1385

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Starter Cable Gauge?

I have to repair the starter cable. Too short and frayed. I plan on butt splicing and adding 6 inches and putting a better terminal on the battery. Just curious if you guys knew the cable gauge so i can start this amazon order. Thanks in advance!

1996 v8

Last edited by Tokuman; 03-10-2017 at 02:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 05:55 PM
The Parts Guy

IIRC, the stock cable is 4 gauge. I'd really suggest making a new cable rather than splicing onto the original.
RalphP likes this.

Rod @ AzzKicker Cars
rodsv6cougar@cs.com
90 XR7-The Meth Addict-KB SC'd 5.0L DOHC Stroker
2004 Mustang GT-The Driver-Intake/Exhaust/3.73's
1995 F150 4x4-The Mud Toy-5.0L/4R70W/33's/Warn 8274 Winch
94 LX w/Splitport 3.8L from 2000 Mustang - SOLD
2 - 90 35th Anny Ed SC's
And a TON of parts cars!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 09:35 PM
Kind of slapped together

Quote:
Originally Posted by racecougar View Post
IIRC, the stock cable is 4 gauge. I'd really suggest making a new cable rather than splicing onto the original.
This.

Also, nothing wrong with going 2ga or even 0 or 00 ...

RwP

Fuelly

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

I'd love to run a brand new cable. I thought maybe a butt splice + better terminal would be better than one of those splice kits. I have 5 cars and this one needs the most work and need to prioritize the transmission slipping, oil leaking, suspension work, bleed brakes and of course the current issue of the car not starting. I have ruled out the battery (advance says it's good and it starts my grand marquis) and the engine isn't seized.

I searched through TCCOA and found people were successful with the short term splice kits. I thought I'd do a short term fix to get the car moving and then have all the supplies and tools to do it the right way in the future. Would I be putting myself in imminent threat of hazard?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 01:34 PM
1st Gear Poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokuman View Post
I'd love to run a brand new cable. I thought maybe a butt splice + better terminal would be better than one of those splice kits. I have 5 cars and this one needs the most work and need to prioritize the transmission slipping, oil leaking, suspension work, bleed brakes and of course the current issue of the car not starting. I have ruled out the battery (advance says it's good and it starts my grand marquis) and the engine isn't seized.

I searched through TCCOA and found people were successful with the short term splice kits. I thought I'd do a short term fix to get the car moving and then have all the supplies and tools to do it the right way in the future. Would I be putting myself in imminent threat of hazard?
I agree with the other member that recommended 2 gauge or bigger. With 5 cars, you should make the small investment in some bulk wire, cable ends, and a heavy duty crimp tool. It will save you money and you'll have higher quality and better fitting cables.

I keep cable lugs on hand with many different sizes of holes (#10, 1/4", 5/16" 3/8", etc) and then put marine type screw down ends on my batteries. Makes it super easy to remove, which also allows me to quickly swap batteries from one car to another. Having good batteries in a bunch of vehicles you don't use often enough results in lots of bad batteries (unless you have trickle chargers running to them.)

96 Saleen Cobra 55k
98 Mark VIII 91K
97 Mark VIII LSC 175k
94 Mark VIII 122k
84 Bronco 351 HO 115K
66 Mercury Monterey 390
49 Lincoln 2 dr
70 Mustang Mach 1 351C 4V Restored
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 12:50 AM
PostWhore

Garage
Personally, I agree with everyone else here in that just splicing the cable is throwing money away.

I agree about the recommendation to buy a crimp tool and connector ends but as far as bulk wire is concerned, I've found that welding shops and some battery places will sell super flexible thick gauge (4, 2, 0) cable by the foot which you can buy on an as-needed basis as each project comes up.

If you are on a budget and need a long thick battery cable for a given project (say a battery relocation), E30s have their battery in the trunk and are wired with 1/0 cable (or something in that range of thickness).

-g

PS. If your starter cable is getting frayed, don't neglect proper grounding if you are having a hard time starting the car. On my tbird track car, I ran a separate ground cable from the starter mounting bolt back to the battery.
Mach1Motorsports likes this.

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 10:38 AM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Lincoln LS is an excellent junkyard source too, and there are A LOT in junkyards.

-Matt
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 01:01 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Did someone say upgraded wiring?? This is 2/0 welding cable with soldered copper lugs. I agree that you should replace the cable rather than splice it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160719_205826.jpg (1.51 MB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 20160819_171454.jpg (2.03 MB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 20170214_162935.jpg (2.17 MB, 2 views)
Mach1Motorsports likes this.

1994 Thunderbird - 2000 4.2L M5R2 now on the road!!

1995 Thunderbird - 2002 Alum 4.6L SVO - Awaiting transplant... (Parts donor)

1996 Cougar - 2004 3.9L 4R70W
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 04:49 PM
1st Gear Poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by S4gunn View Post
Personally, I agree with everyone else here in that just splicing the cable is throwing money away.

I agree about the recommendation to buy a crimp tool and connector ends but as far as bulk wire is concerned, I've found that welding shops and some battery places will sell super flexible thick gauge (4, 2, 0) cable by the foot which you can buy on an as-needed basis as each project comes up.

If you are on a budget and need a long thick battery cable for a given project (say a battery relocation), E30s have their battery in the trunk and are wired with 1/0 cable (or something in that range of thickness).

-g

PS. If your starter cable is getting frayed, don't neglect proper grounding if you are having a hard time starting the car. On my tbird track car, I ran a separate ground cable from the starter mounting bolt back to the battery.
Welding wire is great. Its made of many more fine strands than standard battery cable and that makes it fleible. Whe i said bulk, i wasn't suggesting a roll of 500' but i like to keep 20' on hand. Welding shops sometimes do not always have cable ends with small enough holes for standard auto use. Theirs are often 3/8" which is usually too big. I can't think of one to recommend but there are plenty of places with these available with 5/16" or smaller holes. they also make ends that have set screws to hold the wire but these cost more and after buying them a few times you'll have spent as much extra as a crimp tool would cost.

Ihave a Standard Motor Products hammer type crimper - @ 35, and a hydraulic type kit which i found on ebay for $40. The hydraulic has the advantage that if you are making a cable while one end is still attached in the car, you don't need a solid surface where you can hit the crimper with a hammer.

96 Saleen Cobra 55k
98 Mark VIII 91K
97 Mark VIII LSC 175k
94 Mark VIII 122k
84 Bronco 351 HO 115K
66 Mercury Monterey 390
49 Lincoln 2 dr
70 Mustang Mach 1 351C 4V Restored

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.