Everyones First mods.... - Page 2 - TCCoA Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 152 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 12:15 AM
6th Gear Poster

First mods I did: Air silencer removal, MAF mod(chop)

First mod I un-did: MAF mod(chop)

Peter M

SOLD 1996 4.6l Thunderbird-(fast) PI intake, custom exhaust, Bullet-Resistant Tranny™, blah, blah, blah
2007 VW GTI-(faster) United Grey, 18" wheels, APR stage 1 chip, and... uh... that's it for now.
post #32 of 152 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 12:26 AM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Quote:
originally posted by ShadowDragon

I'll say it. Yes they do. Rounded lenses jutting out past flat headlights definately stands out. Now as for clear, no, that looks just fine.
only 1/4 of an inch, i dont really like how the 89-95 clear corners look

-Matt
post #33 of 152 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 01:10 AM
Resident 40th Anniversary Expert

Send a message via AIM to Shawn40th
On the tbird it was removed air silencer was first for me. Then was the RM tube.

The Lincoln is bone stock.

"People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people."

1997 Lincoln Mark VIII, LSC - Green/Tan Leather, Sunroof, etc. FOR SALE. Inquire within.

Current car: 1999 Corvette

The 40th Anniversary Tbird is gone. Her old website & CarDomain page

Senior Member of the 'B-Team'.
post #34 of 152 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 03:23 AM
Save the Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarcragar
I simply cannot understand everybody's fascination with clear corners. Why???
I can't understand your fascination with why people put them on??? lol

Quote:
How could it be considered "custom" when thousands of people have installed them?
Because many tens of thousands haven't put them on, and they're not available OEM.

Quote:
In many cases, they make the front end look worse. Hell, many of them leak and get condensation inside. It reminds me of the cheap altezzas people buy to look "different." It makes absolutely no sense.
It really does matter what color the car is, some look much better with the clear corners. And btw my factory corners had already leaked and gotten condensation in them by the time it was a 6-1/2 yr old car. that's why I had to replace mine. I replaced them with cheap Taiwanese aftermarket yellow stockers (TTY brand I think they are?). Nearly 3 yrs later still no leaks or cracking, they look just as new and clear as the day I put them on.

In my experience the quality issue isn't with them leaking but there are 2 issues. (clear ones and stock looking)

1) driver side fitment is poor at the top, I've heard others say the same. I took mine back off, checked everything, put it back on and it still fit the fender poorly (my fender IS perfect, OEM light fits it perfectly). The passenger side one fits perfectly.

2) mold quality. On OEM corners the silver painted grooved portion looks perfect as if the mold was CNC cut (I'm sure it was). On the Taiwanese corners it looks like the mold for the grooved part was free hand cut from a piece of clay by an 80 yr old man with a shaky hand. lol (Mold was probably made from a poor quality silicon mold of the original?)

so the differences are: OEM - expensive and perfect. Aftermarket - low cost and the silver grooved bit is drugged out looking upon close up anal retentive inspection. More importantly the driver side fitment is poor along the top edge. that ticked me off for about a week until I got over it and forgot all about it.

Quote:

That looks awkward to me. The corners stand out WAY too much. The stock pieces would look better.
Let me put it into perspective for you why it looks awkward. The clear corners on his car look EXACTLY the same as the stockers except the "D" shaped side reflector is white instead of yellow. His headlights on the other hand look NOTHING like stock factory headlights. They've been disassembled, projector headlights fitted, tinted on the inside(?), and part of the chrome is blacked out with trim paint. If his car had stock 96~97 headlights on it the side corners wouldn't look any more awkward then the stock ones do. They wouldn't stand out at all.

Your beef isn't with his very similar to stock looking clear corners but with his custom headlights. If you think those corners look awkward next to those headlights then you would say the thing same about the stock corners.

Quote:
I suppose I'll get jumped all over for this, but I really don't care...

EDIT: I changed a word...
Nor do I care if people jump all over you for it.

97' Cougar XR7 - Sport Option, 4 Wheel Disc w/ ABS, Moon Roof, Leather Interior, Leather Wrap Wheel & Shifter, Cruise Control, Power Drivers Seat, Power Lock Group, Premium Sound, Power Antenna, K&N Panel Filter - Hey, It came with the car! Florida Panther Society

Last edited by Southpaw; 11-21-2006 at 03:41 AM.
post #35 of 152 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw
Let me put it into perspective for you why it looks awkward. The clear corners on his car look EXACTLY the same as the stockers except the "D" shaped side reflector is white instead of yellow. His headlights on the other hand look NOTHING like stock factory headlights. They've been disassembled, projector headlights fitted, tinted on the inside(?), and part of the chrome is blacked out with trim paint. If his car had stock 96~97 headlights on it the side corners wouldn't look any more awkward then the stock ones do. They wouldn't stand out at all.
yes the headlights are painted except for the rear reflectors. the bottom part and sides were painted high temp black. painting the inside of the headlight gave the lens that dirty tinted look, so no the lens arent tinted.

and yes they look more in place with clear headlights as well

edit: does this look better?
post #36 of 152 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 03:49 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
That looks awkward to me. The corners stand out WAY too much. The stock pieces would look better.
sorry we keep quoting you, but i found a good angle pic to show you clear corners are a must sometimes lol

post #37 of 152 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 03:58 AM
PostSkank

Send a message via AIM to StupidFly
Quote:
How could it be considered "custom" when thousands of people have installed them?
Quote:
Because many tens of thousands haven't put them on, and they're not available OEM.

This is a big pet peeve of mine (and really the only thing I'm going to jump all over anyone for ).

Custom doesn't come in a box. If you picked it out of a catalog or off a shelf, it isn't custom. Period.

Oh yeah:

Silencer delete
K&N panel filter
MSD coil
Muffler delete (replaced with straight pipes)

math > pasta

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 07-30-2012 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Merge posts
post #38 of 152 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by StupidFly
Custom doesn't come in a box. If you picked it out of a catalog or off a shelf, it isn't custom. Period.
well my headlights came in a box and i picked out the hid bulbs out of a catalog. also the projectors came off a volvo s40 that were sitting on the shelf

Last edited by Porkchop; 11-21-2006 at 04:09 AM.
post #39 of 152 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 04:03 AM
PostSkank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domesticbird
well my headlights came in a box and i picked out the hid bulbs out of a catalog. also the projectors came off a volvo s40 that was sitting on the shelf

oh you be quiet

math > pasta
post #40 of 152 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 04:10 AM
Save the Panther

Quote:
This is a big pet peeve of mine (and really the only thing I'm going to jump all over anyone for ).

Fine there's OEM, Aftermarket and Custom. As far as corners go all anyone said is it was one of their first mods. Sorry I didn't nitpick him further by pointing out that nobody said it was a "custom" mod.

That said the act of putting an assortment of off-the-shelf non-custom aftermarket parts on your car does result in a vehicle that's unique and customized to your own tastes.

Quote:
cus·tom·ize (kst-mz) Pronunciation Key
tr.v. cus·tom·ized, cus·tom·iz·ing, cus·tom·iz·es
To make or alter to individual or personal specifications: customize a van.

97' Cougar XR7 - Sport Option, 4 Wheel Disc w/ ABS, Moon Roof, Leather Interior, Leather Wrap Wheel & Shifter, Cruise Control, Power Drivers Seat, Power Lock Group, Premium Sound, Power Antenna, K&N Panel Filter - Hey, It came with the car! Florida Panther Society
post #41 of 152 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 04:14 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Fine there's OEM, Aftermarket and Custom. As far as corners go all anyone said is it was one of their first mods. Sorry I didn't nitpick him further by pointing out that nobody said it was a "custom" mod.

That said the act of putting an assortment of off-the-shelf non-custom aftermarket parts on your car does result in a vehicle that's unique and customized to your own tastes.
very well said...

i guess i should start a "Everyones first Custom mods..." thread
post #42 of 152 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 04:15 AM
PostSkank

Quote:
Fine there's OEM, Aftermarket and Custom. As far as corners go all anyone said is it was their first mod, not that they customized their car with clear corners...

Sorry I didn't nitpick him further by pointing out that nobody said it was a "custom" mod.

That said the act of putting an assortment of off-the-shelf non-custom aftermarket parts on your car does result in a vehicle that's unique and customized to your tastes.

Oh, indeed. However all too often you see people calling their off-the-shelf taillights, or pedal covers, or shift knobs etc "custom." Thats really what I'm talking about. You can certainly customize your car to your tastes, but that doesn't mean the parts themselves are custom (seems like a small thinig to nitpick about, but I'll stand by it).

math > pasta
post #43 of 152 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 04:20 AM Thread Starter
Banned

well also something to think about is that some of those "custom mods" became so popular that some company decided to invest into that product?

remember when clear corners werent around? i saw people taking off the amber reflector off on the inside of thier signal light. i know, cuz i did that awhiles back.
post #44 of 152 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 05:59 AM
Raoul Duke

Quote:
I can't understand your fascination with why people put them on??? lol
Quote:
Nor do I care if people jump all over you for it.
You must have some kind of beef with me, but I have no idea what started it.
This is just like in the neon thread. I offer fellow member intake manifold in case his self-destructs, you come in and make me look like a bad guy. Amazing...

My fascination grew from the fact that nearly everybody here has installed them.

Quote:
Yes, I realize he has custom headlights with projectors.
I also understand he was one of the first people I've seen to do it, which is awesome. That's custom.

Porkchop,
You've done some very cool stuff to your Thunderbirds, and it's a shame your last one was wrecked. I think some of the custom stuff you've done is very innovative and new.
I'm just tired of seeing clear corners on every car I see - that's all.
That's the only "mod" that connects us to all the FWD tuners out there. Otherwise, our cars are unique on their own.
Now, if they come out with altezza taillights for our cars... I give up.

1996 Mercury Cougar XR7
4.6 - Dynomax-Equipped - Tranny Cooler - 3.27 T/L - 125k Miles
post #45 of 152 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 07:25 AM
Save the Panther

Quote:
You must have some kind of beef with me, but I have no idea what started it.
Sorry, there's no beef. I was just replying to what you said about clear corners looking awkward and the quality of them that's all.

Quote:
This is just like in the neon thread. I offer fellow member intake manifold in case his self-destructs, you come in and make me look like a bad guy. Amazing...
It's hardly amazing your opinion elicited a reply. You said yourself “I suppose I'll get jumped all over for this, but I really don't care...” (unless it's me?) And fyi I didn't even notice your the same guy from the neon lighting thread.

Quote:
My fascination grew from the fact that nearly everybody here has installed them.

Yes, I realize he has custom headlights with projectors.
I also understand he was one of the first people I've seen to do it, which is awesome. That's custom.
Aside from addressing the quality of the aftermarket corners. My simple point was that the reason the clear corners you pointed out as looking terrible, err awkward looking is in part due to the fact they don't match those custom headlights. They match the stock 96~97 lights much better. And btw nobody said they added custom clear corners. It's just one of the first off-the-shelf mods they did.

Quote:
I'm just tired of seeing clear corners on every car I see - that's all. That's the only "mod" that connects us to all the FWD tuners out there. Otherwise, our cars are unique on their own. Now, if they come out with altezza taillights for our cars... I give up.
Look at Porkchop's old Tbird above. Is that not the Cobra Snake we see on the fender? Is that not the domestic equivalent of the Type R sticker, or a misplaced VTEC badge? Do FWD tuners not paint their rims black too? Do they not do projector headlight mods?

Sorry Porkchop, not that there's anything wrong with that stuff, well besides the snake.

Last edited by Southpaw; 11-21-2006 at 08:08 AM.
post #46 of 152 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 09:08 AM
Raoul Duke

Ok...
I've been a member here for over two years now. I've met some great people on this forum and I've never had a problem with anybody. I have a problem with you.
I hope some members can support me on this, because I want it to be known that I'm being rational.
Therefore, at the risk of starting a shooting match over the Internet, I'm going to retire from this thread.

1996 Mercury Cougar XR7
4.6 - Dynomax-Equipped - Tranny Cooler - 3.27 T/L - 125k Miles
post #47 of 152 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 09:31 AM
Street Freekz

Send a message via MSN to 96_Cougar Send a message via Yahoo to 96_Cougar
My first mods: window tint, Pioneer CD/MP3 player, Pioneer 4-way speakers, clear corners, upgraded majority of my filament bulbs upgraded to LED bulbs....then came the 20's after graduation.

I have a debt to pay off then more mods will come ;-)

In Memory of FD 420

"This will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave" ~ Elmer Davis, American news commentator (1890-1958). God bless all veterans: past & present.
post #48 of 152 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 09:33 AM
Back in Black

Administrator

Oh yeah.. dur... the very first thing I did the day I got the car was replace the stereo. lol

R.I.P. Joel Bender 07/30/79 - 03/26/06
R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975-2011

1997 Thunderbird LX 4.6 AED 349.27RWHP/391.29RWTQ Engine Build Exterior shots
2002 Thunderbird Premium Triple Black 3.9
2013 Fusion Hybrid
*SCRAPPED* 1994 LX 4.6 NA 13.6@100mph 236.07RWHP/286.26RWTQ
post #49 of 152 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 09:36 AM
Street Freekz

Send a message via MSN to 96_Cougar Send a message via Yahoo to 96_Cougar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDragon
Oh yeah.. dur... the very first thing I did the day I got the car was replace the stereo. lol

^ ^ lol

In Memory of FD 420

"This will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave" ~ Elmer Davis, American news commentator (1890-1958). God bless all veterans: past & present.
post #50 of 152 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 10:08 AM
Save the Panther

edit: PM sent.

Last edited by Southpaw; 11-21-2006 at 10:24 AM.
post #51 of 152 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 10:19 AM
Who is John Galt?

Knock it off and get back to the thread at hand. If you've got a problem with someone, take this $#!T to PM's.

And Southpaw, there's an ignore feature in User CP. Use it.

"Won't work, can't be done"
post #52 of 152 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 10:28 AM
Save the Panther

I'm well aware there is an ignore feature. However, all I need to do to actually ignore someone is have them tell me they have a problem with me. That's good enough reason for me to steer clear of them.

I'm not sure what it was I said in my clear corner reply that was so galling and offensive. I'm only aware of one other time we've talked 2 wks ago and that's only because he reminded me of it. I had no idea it was him or that he's got a problem with me. Now I know. I don't know where the beef is but I ain't got it.

Last edited by Southpaw; 11-21-2006 at 10:42 AM.
post #53 of 152 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 10:38 AM
5th Gear Poster

In order from when I bought the car:

Limo tint on 3 back windows, 35% (darkest legal in AZ) on sides.
New Tires
Tuneup (wires/plugs)
Rebuilt transmission
'93 Mark VIII driveshaft - no more driveline vibe!
'97 cupholder - relocated lighter inside console
Paint (2002 Nissan Xterra Shock Blue)
Upgraded to Boston Acoustic speakers
post #54 of 152 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 10:49 AM
Save the Panther

As far as mods go...

89 Cougar LS - Got the windows tinted and installed the Alpine CD/stereo I had pulled out of my '85 Tbird. Replaced the speakers as well. Then I fixed the AC.

97 Cougar XR7 - it already had window tint and a K&N panel filter. I replaced the waterlogged & cracked corner lights, polished out the headlights and installed a hand-me-down Apline 3-disc head unit from a '97 Lamborghini Diablo SV. (which later started skipping and I eventually beat the crap out of it with the sore palm of my hand until it broke. lol)

Quote:
Oh, indeed. However all too often you see people calling their off-the-shelf taillights, or pedal covers, or shift knobs etc "custom." Thats really what I'm talking about. You can certainly customize your car to your tastes, but that doesn't mean the parts themselves are custom (seems like a small thinig to nitpick about, but I'll stand by it).
Agreed. there's no such thing as an Autozone "custom shift knob", etc...

Last edited by Southpaw; 11-21-2006 at 11:15 AM.
post #55 of 152 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 12:15 PM
I Break Stuff

Send a message via AIM to 94V8Thunderbird Send a message via Yahoo to 94V8Thunderbird
air silencer removal, K&N panel filter, and 2 12's

1988 Mustang GT 306, 4 bbl holley, edlebrock intake, nitrous cam, 4 inch cowl hood.
94 LX PI swapped Bird (sold) missing that car so bad
TCCoABAMF
post #56 of 152 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Look at Porkchop's old Tbird above. Is that not the Cobra Snake we see on the fender? Is that not the domestic equivalent of the Type R sticker, or a misplaced VTEC badge? Do FWD tuners not paint their rims black too? Do they not do projector headlight mods?

Sorry Porkchop, not that there's anything wrong with that stuff, well besides the snake.
dammit wtf was i thinking?!! lol

Quote:
if they come out with altezza taillights for our cars... I give up.
o deer lord i hope not.....its sad that i already know a couple of people here that would get them tho heheh
post #57 of 152 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 04:49 PM
PostWhore

Air silencer removal, installed the stereo, and the Taurus cupholders. And the little bobble-head dog lol

"She aint a Cadillac and she aint a Rolls, but there aint nothin wrong with the radio"

Of course everyone loves a hard worker, they do all the work!

90 LS - gone damn city drivers
93 Explorer XL 2dr 4x4 - totalled does anyone in that f*ckin city know how to drive

OK, that was twice in 6 months, red means STOP
post #58 of 152 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Banned

well technically the first thing i put on my tbird was a oaklang raiders jack in the box antenna ball.

too bad it got jacked within a week.....sad
post #59 of 152 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 12:02 AM
likes chocolate

removed air silencer
removed mufflers, then later removed 3rd cat
sony Xplode head unit
latest mod is a strawberry air freshener in the shape of a tree, highly recommended, smells great. 3-pack for $1.97 at walmart

-02 Mustang GT 5pd.
-1996 Thunderbird Sport
post #60 of 152 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman5094@comca
latest mod is a strawberry air freshener in the shape of a tree, highly recommended, smells great. 3-pack for $1.97 at walmart
sweeeeeeeeet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.