Car wont turn off! - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

I started my car and felt something near the key pop. Now the key moved freely and the car wont turn off. If I turn it forward, it makes that "Crrrank" noise because it's trying to start again...but it's already running. When i turn the key backward, it just moves freely. I took the key out and it's still out there running.
#1, how do I turn the car off without doing any damage? Talk to me like a 3 year old because I'm not going to know what you're telling me to do if you just say "pull the *blank* wire..."
#2, WTF??
It's a '95 4.6L T-bird.

Well, I got it to turn off. I pulled the wire assembly that connects to the plugs. Then I disconnected the battery.

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 05-21-2012 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Merge posts
post #2 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 04:00 PM
It is nice

not sure whats the safest way prob press the fuel cutoff switch in the trunk for now.

1997 Ford Thunderbird LX 4.6L (WT): Removed Air Silencer. PBR Brake Upgrade. J-MOD. Silverstar Headlights. Vogtland Springs 1.6". Front Sport Shocks/ Back KYB's. PI Cams. Xcal2 by Lonnie.
1991 Mercury Cougar LS 3.8L: SOLD
post #3 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91CougarLS View Post
not sure whats the safest way prob press the fuel cutoff switch in the trunk for now.
I didn't know there was one in the truck. I crawled under the car to find the fuel line but it was too hard to squeeze. I don't know why I thought it would be made of rubber...:P
I disconnected the battery so it wouldn't think it was still running & drain all my juice.
post #4 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 04:09 PM
It is nice

yea there is a button in the trunk fuel pump cutoff you can use that.

1997 Ford Thunderbird LX 4.6L (WT): Removed Air Silencer. PBR Brake Upgrade. J-MOD. Silverstar Headlights. Vogtland Springs 1.6". Front Sport Shocks/ Back KYB's. PI Cams. Xcal2 by Lonnie.
post #5 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 05:55 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Mine did the same thing.

Without a picture this will be hard to explain but I'll try.

My Answer to Q#1: Just open the air box up and smother the engine. (Put your hand over the air intake until the engine dies). Then unhook the battery so the car doesn't drain the juice.

OR try this - Until I got mine fixed I left the steering column cover off and fashioned a pick with a piece of coat hanger to pull the other half of the linkage back to shut the car off.

My Answer to Q#2: There's a pin between the plastic bar that you push forward in the steering column when you turn the key to the start position. It's there to allow the tilt steering to work. This pin has a nasty habit of separating itself from where it's suppose to live.

Pull your key tumbler and take the cover off of your steering column and you'll see what I'm talking about. The only fix for this is to replace the pin.

Pictures and more info in post #16.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto.

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 03-05-2008 at 06:15 AM. Reason: fixed typo & updated information
post #6 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post
Mine did the same thing.

My Answer to Q#1: Just open the air box up and smother the engine. (Put your hand over the air intake until the engine dies0. Then unhook the battery so the car doesn't drain the juice.

OR #1A (See Below)

My Answer to Q#2: There's a pin between the plastic bar that you push forward in the steering column when you turn the key to the start position. It's there to allow the tilt steering to work. This pin has a nasty habit of separating itself from where it's suppose to live.

Pull your key tumbler and take the cover off of your steering column and you'll see what I'm talking about. The only fix for this is to replace the pin.

#1A Until I got mine fixed I left the steering column cover off and fashioned a pick with a piece of coat hanger to pull the other half of the linkage back to shut the car off.

If you need more info I can get you a picture.
That was a pretty good explanation, I think I should be able to figure it out. Thank you.
post #7 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 10:06 PM
Chapter Director Coordinator

dude

either hit hte fuel shut off

or unplug the IAC sensor if you can reach it.. kills it every time

I bust ARP bolts by hand...

If Guns kill people, then...
...pencils miss spel werds
...cars make people drive drunk
...spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat
~Gun Owners of America
post #8 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 11:56 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
That would have to be the most ghetto thing ever, driving around a car that you have to punch the quarter panel to get it to shut off. It almost makes me want to do that in front of a crowd just to mess with people.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90SC 5-speed, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, soon to be transplanted into...
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-70 Torino GT Fastback project car. Needs EFI and a manual trans, but I'm not sure what motor to go with yet.
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #9 of 66 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 09:29 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to loudpipessavelives
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeyL View Post
It almost makes me want to do that in front of a crowd just to mess with people.
hah

93 Bird/ Trick Flow 5.0-- awaiting some fresh paint
99 Marquis on 20's (daily)
01 Mustang Cobra with bolt on's-- 22k miles, might be for sale soon

http://www.cardomain.com/id/CDogg93
post #10 of 66 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 09:29 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to loudpipessavelives
Uncle Buck?

93 Bird/ Trick Flow 5.0-- awaiting some fresh paint
99 Marquis on 20's (daily)
01 Mustang Cobra with bolt on's-- 22k miles, might be for sale soon

http://www.cardomain.com/id/CDogg93
post #11 of 66 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Mine did the same thing.

My Answer to Q#1: Just open the air box up and smother the engine. (Put your hand over the air intake until the engine dies0. Then unhook the battery so the car doesn't drain the juice.

OR #1A (See Below)

#1A Until I got mine fixed I left the steering column cover off and fashioned a pick with a piece of coat hanger to pull the other half of the linkage back to shut the car off.

If you need more info I can get you a picture.
I've gotten as far as I can without help. I bought the plastic slider for $12 and got a quote for $150. I can see the slider but I don't know how to get to it. I also don't know what you attached the hanger to...

post #12 of 66 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 08:41 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
Good job. I forgot what a PITA working in there was. I think I actually had to pull the two screws that hold the steering column in place to get to it. Can you see the connection where the pin slipped out of place? I just want to be sure that you're having the same problem that I was having.

I think I hooked the coat hanger in the hole where the pin fits in and pulled it back from there to shut the car off until I could get it fixed.

See post #16 for more info.

Anybody else familiar with the steering column feel free to chime in.

Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto.

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 10-02-2007 at 09:48 PM.
post #13 of 66 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 08:47 PM
Faster than Porkchop

I would have pulled the number 13 or 15 fuse .

1997 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 Sport .

60'...... 2.06
1/8th .. 9.194
mph .... 77.13

mods*
PI heads *PI intake*Mark VIII torque converter*Cobra T-loc w\4.10's * Jmod*tranny fluid cooler*P&P stock T/B & plenum*UD pulleys* Dynotech 4in ds*80mm Lightning maf*Xcal2*02 GT intake tube.
post #14 of 66 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 09:08 PM
It is nice

what year did they change the black piece the key fits into that looks like the old style from my 91 guess they changed it in 97?? sry im not much help maybe the ignition cylinder itself as a guess might wanna try removing that and seeing if anything is broken since the key is messed also at same time. I think u just push that little hole with a pen while key is in igniton and on acc then pull outward whole thing comes out. other than that not sure prob what trunk monkey said.. good luck

post #15 of 66 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 09:33 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
With the column tilted down and the key in and turned back one notch you can see the linkage that I'm talking about where the column pivots and the pin that connects them should be.

You can see the pin in mine in the picture below. Make sure that your pin is in place and the linkage moves forward and back as you turn your key. This is where mine seperated and I had the same "car won't shut off" problem that you described. My guess is that your pin has fallen out too. I marked the location on your car in the second photo below.

I fashioned a coat hanger and hooked the lower linkage in the eyelet where the pin was missing and pulled it back to turn the car off. This is a good temporary solution until you can get it fixed.

You'll need to remove the two screws that hold the steering column in place to replace that pin. Be careful of that big spring that pushes the column up when you release the tilt steering lever.

Unless your very confident in your skills I'd let a pro or some one who's pulled a steering column apart before do it.

Good Luck.

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 10-02-2007 at 09:56 PM.
post #16 of 66 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Thank you. Am I going to have to remove the steering wheel? All I was planning to do was remove those two star bolts. That won't let me to it?
post #17 of 66 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 06:36 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
I think just removing the star bolts will allow you enough access. Was it the pin that I thought it was on your car?

post #18 of 66 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
I think just removing the star bolts will allow you enough access. Was it the pin that I thought it was on your car?
I can't tell yet. I still have to drop the wheel so I can get to it.
I'm going to work on it in the morning. I'll let you know.
post #19 of 66 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 09:42 AM
4th Gear Poster

Did you end up getting it fixed? This happened to me and I remember it sucked fixing. I cant remember all I had to do but I remember I had the steering wheel off and everything. It never felt right after I put it back together either.

A guy walks into an autoparts store and says "I would like a windshield wiper for my Honda Civic." The clerk thinks a minute then says "I guess that's a fair trade..."

The Yuwie Test[/URL]
post #20 of 66 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Nope. i haven't fixed it yet. I pulled the steering wheel and everything else. I can't get it to drop down and allow me to remove that "actuator." I worked on it for a few hours today and I guess this just isn't going to work out. I put the steering wheel back on, but not the airbag or the cruise controls, and now my freaking horn wont stop blowing! Lol. I had to disconnect the horn for now. It looks like I'm just going to have to pay a professional to do this job, guys. This isn't working out and I'm afraid my airbag is going to knock me out when I reconnect it.
post #21 of 66 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 09:50 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Just curious, would it be easier to go to a junkyard and get a complete steering column and swap that out?

-90SC 5-speed, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, soon to be transplanted into...
-70 Torino GT Fastback project car. Needs EFI and a manual trans, but I'm not sure what motor to go with yet.
post #22 of 66 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 10:37 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
I've told ya all that I know.
My brother (who's quite handy) helped me with mine.

Were you able to determine if it was the pivot pin or is the actual plastic actuator arm broken on yours?

I didn't need to remove the air bag or dig into mine as deeply as you took yours apart to get that pin replaced.

post #23 of 66 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 01:18 AM
4th Gear Poster

God dang, this is frustrating because I know that is exactly what happened to mine and I know I fixed it but that was two summers ago and now I can't remember what I had to do. I do remember tearing the whole steering column apart though, twice for some reason.

A guy walks into an autoparts store and says "I would like a windshield wiper for my Honda Civic." The clerk thinks a minute then says "I guess that's a fair trade..."

The Yuwie Test[/URL]
post #24 of 66 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 10:13 PM
1st Gear Poster

I'd pull the battery cables to make the car turn off.
post #25 of 66 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 01:32 AM
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
That's what I did until I fixed it, got some good looks from people too. I was already labled as a hillbilly, it didnt help when I was driving a car that I had to pull the battery cable on to shut off.

The Yuwie Test[/URL]
post #26 of 66 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 07:35 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteakNuggetz View Post
DON'T DO THAT! That's a good way to fry every computer in the car cause it sends a voltage spike back through them. Either disable fuel or spark, but don't yank the battery cable under any circumstances.

post #27 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 11:42 PM

I had the same problem last week. Following Trunk Monkey's tips and a service manual, I removed the stering column covers and was able to turn-off the engine using a piece of wire with a hook at the end. But I can see why Deputy Moniker had a hard time: I had to turn the key all the way CCW, tilt the steering wheel all the way down and use a LED light to see something thru that opening. Anyways, I am driving around with the wire now.

I don't know if Trunk Monkey (or somebody else with the same experince) is still following this thread but here is a question: Is it easy to put the steering wheel back after unbolting the two star bolts on the sides? Also when you remove the bolts does the wheel flip out because of the springs or stg? T Monkey warned against that. Also how easy is it to connect the two linkages using the pin in a way so that it won't break again for a while? Thank you...
post #28 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 06:11 AM

Super Moderator

Garage
Yea, the steering column will go back together without to much trouble after removing the star bolts. Get a friend to help you, an extra set of hands is a must.

To answer your second question yes, the tilt steering spring will push the wheel forward when you remove the bolts.

And, provided you find a pin the correct size and get it back in place correctly it should last for years. I had this issue in about 1999 got it fixed and haven't had a problem with it since. I never did find the original pin and don't remember where we got the replacement pin from.

post #29 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 08:49 AM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to frankjc
Easy temporary solution when this happens. Remove the panels below the steering colum, above your feet. You will see a rectangular box, off white in color, held on by a couple torx screws. Take out the screws and pull the box down, there is a metal pin on the other side. Push it one way to start the car, the other to shut it off. This switch is often the reason the actuator breaks. It binds up and gets hard to move, and breaks the plastic. I drove my car for a month like this, until I replaced the whole steering column with a $40 junkyard column.

Drive it like you stole it!

Last edited by frankjc; 03-05-2008 at 08:56 AM. Reason: my spelling sucks......
post #30 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 04:43 PM

off-white box...

I finally got five minutes to work on the car from work and stuff dammit Anyways, I unscrewed the off-white box. It is easier to use to turn off the car than fishing with a hook It *does* take some force to push it all the way to start the car. Although I have no idea how hard the pin is supposed to be, one could guess a plastic linkage will give up at some point under this loading. I didn't have time to remove the steering wheel yet, I'll have to fix the linkage pin anyway. But how can I resolve this hardness (for lack of a better word) issue in the off-white box? Several cables come into it and it seems to be permanently pinned to the other half (it looks scary to mess with). If I leave it like that though, the pin in the linkage might break\dislocate again. Is greasing the box an option :p (put the tube of WD40 in and empty the can)? Is there an easy way to take it off to replace? Thanks....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.