2Likes
  • 1 Post By MattsLE97
  • 1 Post By S4gunn

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via MSN to WITootall Send a message via Yahoo to WITootall
Really Simple Q?

Ok so I have been reading it in peoples lists of things done to thier cars, just courious what is the air silencer delete exactally?

Man do I feel like a dit di dur asking this!!!!
post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 04:04 PM
Seasoned Geek

The plastic box in the right fender well that chokes off the air to the engine

http://www.mn12performance.com/mn12h...box/airbox.htm

2017 Mustang GT Base/ Making my own premium

Last edited by Boston-Bull; 05-14-2008 at 04:12 PM.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Ah Ok, I removed that right away when i did the K&N cone filter, guess I never thought of it as a silencer.

Thank ya much.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 02:22 AM
Seasoned Geek

Np

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 04:00 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Seriously though I didn't notice any diff when removed except maybe more noise
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 08:42 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to MattsLE97 Send a message via Yahoo to MattsLE97
lol its a silencer thats it if u were expecting 20 hp u werent going to get it lol
CDsDontBurn likes this.

2000 dodge dakota 4.7L 4x4
Flowmaster 3" SI/DO 2.5
31" cooper stt tires (mud and off roading here I come)
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 09:12 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Removing the air silencer is jokingly referred to as the end-all-be-all modification around here.

There's also a good home made ram air system that you can build for cheap that works well with a K&N filter. I run this particular set up on my car. Shadowdragon has put together a slightly different version that you can read about on his website.

I put together a short list of amazing things that removing the air silencer can do for you, your car and the world in this thread that I'll post here for your entertainment.

Removing the air silencer will:
  • Increase your mileage
  • Increase your horsepower
  • Dramatically improve your 0-60 and 1/4 mile times
  • Increase your top end by at least 100 MPH
  • Improve handling
  • Increase airflow and give you that amazing exhaust sound you've always wanted
  • Make you more appealing to the opposite sex
  • Increase the size of your manhood
  • Cause you to win the lottery
  • Cause world peace
  • Save the whales
  • Reverse global warming
  • Free Tibet

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

I know better then to think any of the simple bolt ons are going to up my horse power. I have seen a lot of members have it in thier signature, along with some pretty serious mods, I guess I just didnt know if it was the box or the violin case.

Not that I am tryin to get anything going with this thread, but seriously it amazes me how this site is full of people just got a stick up thier ars. I have read more pose in the last month of people raggin on other guys for what to some people is a pretty simple question but for others, they just want to know.

I thought this site was TCCoA, Thunderbird Cougar Club of America, Not MTCCoa, Modified TCCoA. Some people come off so arrogant here and if you ask a gernal question that isnt producing insane amounts of HP additives to your car your a freakin newbie and dont know ****.

I dont know how many times I have read do a search. Well for some of the more computer savy that might be all fine and dandy, but I Have done the searce for like say lately upper control arm removal, and i get everything under the sun that says Upper, Control, or Arm in it, some have nothing to do with my topic at question. Sometimes its just easier to ask in a new thread and if someone leads you to an old thread THANK YOU.

I am part of many car sites and this one has by far been the worst for BS responces or snappy responces to belittle the guy asking.

WE ARE NOT ALL HIGH HORSE POWER CAR GURUS HERE. NOT ALL OF US KNOW EVERYTHING UNDER THE SUN ABOUT THE MN12s.

If you look under my name I am a "membership expired" member, and the reasoning for that is I got sick of all the arrogant pricks giving me answers, only recently have I came back to the site for some questions that guys at other sites couldnt help me with.

THIS IS THE LARGEST THUNDERBIRD/COUGAR CLUB I KNOW OF, A LOT OF KNOWLEDGE HERE, BUT ALSO A LOT OF ATTITUDE SOMETIMES.

Sorry for the rant but I feel it needed to be said.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 10:06 AM
Seasoned Geek

Rant understood here.

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 10:19 AM
2nd Gear Poster

Jeff, have you tried refining your searches by using the quote and plus symbols? For example "upper control arm removal" + "94 Thunderbird". Go to the Advanced Search from the Search drop down toward the top of every page and then type in the exact info you are looking for in the keyword section using the quote symbols. The plus symbol in conjunction with the quote symbol will refine the search even further.

Edit* Well I guess that wasn't a very good example of a refined search - it only brought back this thread. Evidently too refined.

So I tried "upper control arm" + "removal" and got a few more results. But what confused me is that even though words were supposedly restricted by being w/in the quotes, the search results did show the individual words. Hmmm,,, gonna have to look into this a little further.

2nd edit* still can't seem to locate some good results. Sorry man.

I am a Man,
but I can change,
if I have to.
I guess

Last edited by Scott's Coug; 05-25-2008 at 10:36 AM.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 11:31 AM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage

If my reply lead to your rant I apologize. I tried to be helpful and link some other mods that can be done along with the air silencer removal to help inprove air intake.

The other list was like I said. "For your entertainment". It was a joke.

You have to take the good with the bad around here. Like anywhere. I can't imagine that this site is any worse than any other site.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 11:36 AM
Seasoned Geek

Yep trunk your "Entertainment" is cool . Makes me grin

As well as your Sig at the bottom , I am working on getting some more Gigawates from my 4.6 [aks]Flux capacitor. lol

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

No I understood that was for entertainment, and its not really this thread, I would like to consider myself some what mechanically inclined and I know when my blinker fluid is empty. My rant just came from some other replys I have read in the last couple weeks to guys who really are completely new to these cars, what can be done to them and then get completely belittled in thier own thread.

For instance there was a guy(sorry dont remember the thread)that asked a really simple question that I can see someone that doesnt know much about the working componants of a motor was wondering if part A would fit where part B goes. And all he got was jokes poked at his expence and didnt get a good answer until like probably 15 posts later.

As for the search, that is my problem exactally, its not a very simplyfied search option and to do an advanced search you very seldom get good outcome because it is almost too advanced. A lot of times its just easier to ask in a new thread.

Just like part of Ford Truck World that I am part of, I dont know how many times I have seen people start new topics on putting a Body Lift on, but I can honestly say I dont think I have ever seen "USE THE SEARCH OPTION TO GET YOUR ANSWER, DONT START A NEW THREAD" as the posts to asnwer his questions. You will see, yes this question has been asked time and time again, here are a few good threads to help you out. Good Luck with the project!!!! Keep us updated! Again I dont remember what threads I have read them in but those are almost word for word quotes. And if I could find them and learn how to qoute someone I would do that here.

Dont get me wrong, Im not MAD, just a little upset and uneased at how useless some of the responces could be on here from time to time, Its a car club, with car questions, may they be for the beginning rookie to the advanced pro.

Yes other online car/truck clubs have thier fill of jokes in the threads, but this site by far from what I have seen gives more BS answers then usefull ones.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 01:24 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Hey, IMO You are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT, Bro. Although Trunk and Thunder are among some other Great guys out here completely helpful and willing to give info, I"ve been looking to find out all I can about the silencer delete myself, its still a little vauge, seems like it's a 2 part piece, if I"m reading these threads correctly, or not?? lol!
Wanted to be sure not to pull the whole thing and leave the box 'bare' on the bottom, leave part of it connected, even after searching I feel I'm getting half a story, some of the links, photos and sites are LONG gone... The basic mod info's out there, sure, but I like to really know as much as I can before I go tear the car apart, even for something this simple. Most guys are willing to give honest input, but you run the risk of getting Flamed for not knowing enuff? Thats stupid. What's the point of the site if not for information??
I dont wanna open myself up to water in the intake, how much or little to be removed is a legit question, But Ive been uptight to push for more info or discussion since it's such a overused/abused topic.
Just my .02...
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 10:47 PM

These pictures may help clarify for those who can't get a good mental picture. The first is a 3.8L system, the second a 4.6L system, but the piece to remove is essentially the same. You want to remove the piece circled in red in the pictures and leave the actual air cleaner element and housing. The piece circled, the infamous air silencer, is removed from underneath.

3.8L

4.6L

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 12:32 AM
Veteran Poster

feel the same way. i am not a newbie but im not a pro but i do ask some newb questions that dont get awsered, and that really does bother ne,if u have the time to be a smart A$$ the u have time to people like trunkmokey, badbird,madmikeyl,and a good bit othersawser the questioin IMHO!but where there is bad smart butts on this forum,here is really good people like ,trunk monkey,badbird,and madmikeyl
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 07:38 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by master486 View Post
These pictures may help clarify for those who can't get a good mental picture. The first is a 3.8L system, the second a 4.6L system, but the piece to remove is essentially the same. You want to remove the piece circled in red in the pictures and leave the actual air cleaner element and housing. The piece circled, the infamous air silencer, is removed from underneath.

3.8L

4.6L
Beautiful...
I've already gotten in there an pulled it, but, for the next guy that comes along, it's valuable info that should be out there, STICKED, since it's the obvious 'Mod' everyone aparantly does at first...
You rely on guys who have been there before to find the Pros/Cons of any modification, and you've simply GOT to feel free to ask questions until YOU understand it, otherwise, like I said, what's the point of the site??!?
Not everyone out here is a condesending A$$, but by the same token, not everyone here is an engineer, ya know??!?? Sometimes the obvious isnt the same for all of us....

Anyhow, I'm STILL hoping some of the HEAVYweight Ford guys/Engineers/Physics majors out here might put .02 in and EXPLAIN how this 'elbow' actually quiets anything down at all. Just out of curiosity, since it's such a hackneyed post....
Personally, sometimes I need to understand HOW a thing works before I second guess the engineers at Ford and remove it...
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 03:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by master486 View Post

3.8L

4.6L
BUMP THIS.

Took a while to drag up a picture but it was nice to see this.

96 Thunderbird LX 3.8L
Fishing when I'm not driving
Advice welcomed
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 03:51 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Speaking of simple ram air systems: I have this extra 8" vent from my recent bathroom vent install and I've thought about cutting the necessary hole into my hood to add it. All I would need to do is mount the airbox upside down (so it sucks from the hood vs. the fender well and bolt this to the hood.

It's either that or make it into a roof scoop.

I'm sure it will be good for another 20HP (as a hood scoop vs. an roof vent/scoop) -g

PS. If you want your own, check out Home Depot Racing Supply.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vent2.jpg (120.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg vent1.jpg (99.6 KB, 3 views)
CDsDontBurn likes this.

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 04:35 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Garage
I havent run into someone who seemed to give me an attitude, guess Im not on enough. I would say something about the AS but everyone else has. But when I first saw mine I turned the plastic bend so it was "scooping" air from the lower grille. Then I just removed it and ziptied the box down with K&N box filter. It has a slight whistle when I put my foot down.

Lurking
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 05:05 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Most of the people who got attitude here had a long running chain of common questions that went nowhere, and then would spread horrible tech info they thought they know in those threads, tainting the search results for everyone who doesn't beg to be spoon fed. One of those people I vividly remember in this thread. 2007-2009 had a slurry of really obnoxious noobs here, it's fun to reread seeing the whining about getting told to use the search button, ah good old days

-Matt
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 05:22 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4gunn View Post
Speaking of simple ram air systems: I have this extra 8" vent from my recent bathroom vent install and I've thought about cutting the necessary hole into my hood to add it. All I would need to do is mount the airbox upside down (so it sucks from the hood vs. the fender well and bolt this to the hood.

It's either that or make it into a roof scoop.

I'm sure it will be good for another 20HP (as a hood scoop vs. an roof vent/scoop) -g

PS. If you want your own, check out Home Depot Racing Supply.

I'd mount it as a "shaker" intake, sticking thru the hood, maybe with some designer graphix.

Teeth, shark fin, barbed wire; something appropriate.

It looks very "Death Race 2000".

It will probably grab some Ram air on straightaways, changing your tune slightly.

The adaptive should cover, but it depends on how much you get.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

I'm not Human enough to be human; but I'm trying to fit in, and I'm learning to fake it.

"Never said Hibbity..." - Brian Williams
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 06:54 PM
1st Gear Poster

Good place to say Thanks to all that have helped on my projects. Not a thing wrong with the "Search" function.
Creighton

Just keeping the history on the road.
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 08:12 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4gunn View Post
... check out Home Depot Racing Supply.
You know, I'm still wondering with the current state of the art in leaf blower technology, with the 42V batteries and all, if a leaf blower supercharger might be possible...

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

I'm not Human enough to be human; but I'm trying to fit in, and I'm learning to fake it.

"Never said Hibbity..." - Brian Williams

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.