Just wondered how many people have ever had an ECU fail? - Page 2 - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 09:27 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post
Hung injector, or?

I have a 97, so I'm worried...
FWIW, Grog, the two ECUs I had fail on my 1995 did NOT have a hung injector. They just started running rough when entering closed-loop mode. After trying all the usual tune-up items (plugs, wires, pcv, filters, tps, iac, dpfe, pcv, evap, etc, etc) there was literally nothing left but to try a new EEC.

After I put in a new EEC and driving it many cycles (so everything got settled in to the vehicle), the car ran great! The first time was about 3 years ago, the last time maybe 6 months ago. The only reason I'm on my fourth is because I stuck in a 1994 Bird EEC (because it was available), but had problems with the shifting, so now I'm on my fourth EEC, but my third 1995 EEC.

GM will remember how many problems I was having with my vehicle before I finally got it figured out with the replacement EEC. He made a few comments about how much trouble I was having for so long.

~Rick
TCCoA Sig
post #32 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 10:56 PM
PostWhore

So now I know my '95 has a better ECU than a '94, and that even 96/97s had an issue, that I have a decent refrigerator which is 21 years old but which had a new "old" style compressor upgrade (when new it had a new style then small compressor, it went out at 9 years 10 months, warranty replaced it with larger old style which they had gone back to) and that while my heavily used Gateway is doing OK, my barely used "bought for trips" 2006 Dell laptop may have a cap blow it's top?

My dad ws an electronics engineer .... I could almost follow that.

A fine pair ... ... and whatever you do, Have a Safe Trip!
post #33 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 12:19 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

These EECs:

I was talking to another engineer yesterday, and he mentioned working in flash memory in the 90s.

He mentioned having issues losing info after ~5-10 years. (They use high temperature to simulate years of aging)

I just wonder if a reflash would fix them? Has anyone tried this?

Crystal Pistol, your 2006 Dell should be fine; the situation was over by then.

And Refrigerators; I would repair any 70's-80 refrigerator before buying a new one.

The "Green" insulation does not work as well as the older stuff; none of the newer fridges will keep ice in the door very well, IMHO.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

I'm not Human enough to be human; but I'm trying to fit in, and I'm learning to fake it.

"Never said Hibbity..." - Brian Williams
post #34 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 09:43 PM
Kind of slapped together

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post
Crystal Pistol, your 2006 Dell should be fine; the situation was over by then.
Yes - and no. Yes, DCCS (Dread Chinese Capacitor Syndrome) causing the infant death was done. However, there's still a whole boatload failing from 2005 and up.

RwP
post #35 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 12:55 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphP View Post
Yes - and no. Yes, DCCS (Dread Chinese Capacitor Syndrome) causing the infant death was done. However, there's still a whole boatload failing from 2005 and up.

RwP
Didn't Toyota just do a massive recall because of failing ECM's?

~Rick
TCCoA Sig
post #36 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 06:19 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Just got back from picking up my car from the mechanic (I had a thread on "rumbling" and catalytic converters in the 4.6 engine thread).

Well,I drove my F-150 there to pick it up and one of the shop guys followed me home in the TB. On the drive back I looked in the rearview mirror and noticed the car's lights went on after he drove under a freeway bridge,which they were suppose to do. The problem is that they did not turn off once in sunlight for a few minutes.They stayed on all the way to my home. It's a thing that recently came up.

Not a major thing I'll grant you,but I like my car running like a top. I mentioned it to the guy as we drove back to the shop and he recommended a "reflash". He said it wasn't hard to do and that I could do it myself. What exactly is a "reflash"? Is it a reboot of the ECU? Will that correct this annoying problem?

Thanks again.

"The truth is,everyone is going to hurt you.You just got to find the ones worth suffering for." Bob Marley
post #37 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 07:13 PM
The Parts Guy

A "reflash" or "flashing the EEC" is the installation of a tune file onto the EEC. No, it won't effect the autolamps, as they have nothing to do with the EEC.

Rod @ AzzKicker Cars
rodsv6cougar@cs.com
90 XR7-The Meth Addict-KB SC'd 5.0L DOHC Stroker
2004 Mustang GT-The Driver-Intake/Exhaust/3.73's
1995 F150 4x4-The Mud Toy-5.0L/4R70W/33's/Warn 8274 Winch
94 LX w/Splitport 3.8L from 2000 Mustang - SOLD
2 - 90 35th Anny Ed SC's
And a TON of parts cars!
post #38 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 07:22 PM
4th Gear Poster

I had a 97 4.6 not completely fail but it wouldn't start if you just put the key in and turn it, it would start right up on the second try. It also cam up with a bad cam sensor code ( It wasn't tried a new one same thing) went to the junk yard pulled another ecu and never had the problem again. Car would run fine otherwise. Mike

You can't fix stupid
post #39 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 07:33 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Race:

Thanks...Now where do I look? Grrrrrr.

"The truth is,everyone is going to hurt you.You just got to find the ones worth suffering for." Bob Marley
post #40 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 08:07 PM
The Parts Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranklinMint View Post
Race:

Thanks...Now where do I look? Grrrrrr.
I'd start by seeing what the autolamps are currently adjusted to. More than likely, they're just set to come on too soon. From there, move on to the photo sensor on top of the dash...

Rod @ AzzKicker Cars
rodsv6cougar@cs.com
90 XR7-The Meth Addict-KB SC'd 5.0L DOHC Stroker
2004 Mustang GT-The Driver-Intake/Exhaust/3.73's
1995 F150 4x4-The Mud Toy-5.0L/4R70W/33's/Warn 8274 Winch
94 LX w/Splitport 3.8L from 2000 Mustang - SOLD
2 - 90 35th Anny Ed SC's
And a TON of parts cars!
post #41 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 02:51 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranklinMint View Post
Just got back from picking up my car from the mechanic (I had a thread on "rumbling" and catalytic converters in the 4.6 engine thread).

Well,I drove my F-150 there to pick it up and one of the shop guys followed me home in the TB. On the drive back I looked in the rearview mirror and noticed the car's lights went on after he drove under a freeway bridge,which they were suppose to do. The problem is that they did not turn off once in sunlight for a few minutes.They stayed on all the way to my home. It's a thing that recently came up.

Not a major thing I'll grant you,but I like my car running like a top. I mentioned it to the guy as we drove back to the shop and he recommended a "reflash". He said it wasn't hard to do and that I could do it myself. What exactly is a "reflash"? Is it a reboot of the ECU? Will that correct this annoying problem?

Thanks again.
The lights could be dirt on the sensor eye. My lights would stay on all the time. Lift up the cover on the top of the dash (carefully with a pry bar that has tape) and inspect the eye on the passenger side.
post #42 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 10:53 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdguy View Post
The lights could be dirt on the sensor eye. My lights would stay on all the time. Lift up the cover on the top of the dash (carefully with a pry bar that has tape) and inspect the eye on the passenger side.
Tbirdguy:

I'll check it out tomorrow ... All of these little annoying issues started after I lent my car to a woman friend who needed a car. She lives two-and-a-half miles from the nearest paved road so that's five full miles of mud and dirt it encountered everyday. After several washes,I am still finding the fine red dirt/dust of her rural area on the exterior,not to mention the engine. Dirt just might be the culprit.

post #43 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 04:50 AM
1st Gear Poster

Sorry to dig up a thread this old. I may have a problem with my ECU (IAC not controlled properly) and was just wondering these many different calibrations. A tag on a door jamb says 4-18P-R05, part # F4AE-6E061-LMG. So this R05 says it's a -94 calibration? And R10 would be a -95? How far should I be worried about the part number? An exact match may be hard to find..

I've heard about sticking injectors from time to time, but how usual is it to have an IAC control fault?
post #44 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 09:48 AM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

For the eec code, look under the hood, there the weatherstripping meets the passenger side, and there is a sticker with the catch code.

Otherwise, it's written on the eec.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

I'm not Human enough to be human; but I'm trying to fit in, and I'm learning to fake it.

"Never said Hibbity..." - Brian Williams
post #45 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 11:41 AM
1st Gear Poster

Under the hood I found some tags, barely readable, with car serial number. I suppose that wasn't what I should've found.. Anyway, I finally got the courage to pull the ECU. It wasn't that hard after all It has a part number F4WF-12A650-CD. Finally somithing I can track. RockAuto has these. They also have units numbered F5SF-12A650-EA and F5SZ-12A650-EA (w/ 4-18P calibration, though R## not indicated). So, the latter ones are 1995 units with better diodes in jet control and are applicable to 1994 car? Right? Wrong?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.