Motorcraft vs Other Brand Oil Filters - Page 8 - TCCoA Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #211 of 244 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Geek

I am seeing and reading about more & more issues with MC filters,

Best ADBV out there IMPO.

But all the other parts seems to be picking up Purolator's issues.

Case in point

MotorCraft FL-400

Last edited by Boston-Bull; 12-14-2014 at 07:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 244 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Geek

A look at filter operation

Nice video explanation.

post #213 of 244 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 07:18 AM
̇

Garage
Mann you weren't kidding.. That was a great video explanation of how an Oil Filter, and its parts work..

Also the importance of certain parts of an Oil Filter..

I probably won't be buying a Mann Oil Filter anytime soon, but at least I have a better understanding of how an Oil Filter effects your engine..

Very informative..Thanks for posting..

Rayo..

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there."George Harrison

post #214 of 244 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayo View Post
Mann you weren't kidding.. That was a great video explanation of how an Oil Filter, and its parts work..

Also the importance of certain parts of an Oil Filter..

I probably won't be buying a Mann Oil Filter anytime soon, but at least I have a better understanding of how an Oil Filter effects your engine..

Very informative..Thanks for posting..

Rayo..

Most welcome Ray, By the way Mann owns Purolator Mann-news.

Also "Thank you" for the heads up on the nice price for a SG Santa brought me one for the truck
post #215 of 244 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Geek

Popular oil for some, here are the specifics for Mobil 1

Mobil 1 5W30 Specifics
post #216 of 244 (permalink) Old 12-28-2014, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Geek

post #217 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Geek

post #218 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Geek

Castrol SFX Premium Performance Oil Filter

*Castrol SFX oil filter is proudly made in USA by Champion Laboratories

* Castrol SFX oil filter Removes 99.9% at 25 microns of dirt particles found in oil

*Castrol SFX oil filter combine natural fibers and synthetic micro-fibers to provide superior filtering

*Castrol SFX oil filter is comparable in quality to Mobil1 Extended Performance Oil Filters

*Castrol SFX oil filter shell is heavy duty withstanding almost 10x the normal vehicle operating pressure

post #219 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Geek

The Atomic Knife

Science !!!!!!!!!

post #220 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-25-2015, 09:39 PM
5th Gear Poster

That is some interesting stuff! I admit I have become a bit cynical about engine additives, but this nanotechnology is fascinating.

I used to have an old Suburban with a 350 that burned a lot of oil. At the time, I tried Restore. Restore has CSL, which is just a fancy way of saying copper, silver, and lead are the main ingredients. It never seemed to do much, but I never performed any compression tests, either... This was before I became a car guy; all I cared about the the oil consumption.

Since then, I have wondered if those additives are wasted, caught by the filter. It seems to me that large particles would be captured, and smaller ones would not be able to to any appreciable "repair". I just don't know enough about it...

1996 Thunderbird LX (4.6), daily driver
1995 Mustang GT (5.0), alternate daily driver
post #221 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urambo Tauro View Post
That is some interesting stuff! I admit I have become a bit cynical about engine additives, but this nanotechnology is fascinating.

I used to have an old Suburban with a 350 that burned a lot of oil. At the time, I tried Restore. Restore has CSL, which is just a fancy way of saying copper, silver, and lead are the main ingredients. It never seemed to do much, but I never performed any compression tests, either... This was before I became a car guy; all I cared about the the oil consumption.

Since then, I have wondered if those additives are wasted, caught by the filter. It seems to me that large particles would be captured, and smaller ones would not be able to to any appreciable "repair". I just don't know enough about it...

In the case of CSL in Restore each particle is spherical in shape and average less than ten microns in diameter which allows them to pass through the oil filter and circulate along with the motor oil.
post #222 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Geek

What Happens in your engine

post #223 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Geek

FYI

Local store dates vary.
post #224 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 07:04 AM
PostWhore

Is that "Fram" or "Farm" sale? Can't tell, too much glare.

'97 Bird, "Pearl": L/R 2.5in Magnaflow Hi-Flow CATs | PI Intake & PI Cams | Suspension Rebuild

'13 Taurus, "The Bull": 3.5L Goodness

'00 2dr v6 Accord, "Dirty Girl": Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | Greddy SP2 CAT-Back | Eibach ProKit springs | Eibach F/R Sway Bars | KYB-GR2 struts
post #225 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Geek

Like it says at the bottom "NAPA " Filters . ( Made by WIX)
post #226 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 08:49 AM
4th Gear Poster

Okay, so what's the consensus on which filter is the best?

Been using Motorcraft on this car but I'm switching to Amsoil on the Mustang for the next oil change.

1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6- 20% tint, removed air silencer and not much else! (Mustang hubs, Cobra brakes, Vogtland springs, Mark VIII LCAs, Sport shocks and more waiting to be installed)

2013 DIB GT 301A 6-speed- 15% tint, Kooks 1 7/8 mid lengths, off-road x and cat back, Barton 2-post bracket, JPC clutch line, Koni Yellows, Maximum Motorsports C/C plates, BMR K-member, A-arms, UCA & Mount, LCAs and relo brackets, Steeda Ultralites and PHB, Shaftmasters DS, Brembo wheels- Tuned by AED

Last edited by Dave_6; 01-30-2015 at 09:11 AM.
post #227 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Geek

Dave from 3 to 5K OCI ,the MC is a excellent filter ,The Napa Gold/Wix is in the same ballpark .

If your going for long OCI the FRAM's Ultra is one of the best made with hi filtration efficiency .

IMPO Amsoil Ea filter is no better than the FRAM Ultra.
post #228 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 06:02 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderChecken View Post
Dave from 3 to 5K OCI ,the MC is a excellent filter
So is everyone making too big of a deal about the torn filter media?

If all else fails get a bigger hammer!

93 SC Tbird
MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 40# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip (Tuned by Jerry),3/4" Raised Top, F52-TT TC, SilverFox AOD 550, SPT-R VB
96 1/2 XR7 Sold and Salvaged
93 5.0 Tbird
post #229 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 06:49 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Geek

Maybe, from what I understand purolater has been taking note of the complaints and has stepped up to the QC issue. I or no customer of ours use them. And a note on a MC on the 4.0L Ranger here , Start up rattle bad, Wix filter on no more noise. It does like them things .
post #230 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 10:50 PM
PostWhore

Garage
odd that a filter would make much difference to a 4.0 rattle since most of their problems were broken springs inside the chain tentioners.

suppose if the drain-back valve kept the tenstioners pumped up longer maybe, but it would be better too just change the tenstioners out and be done with it. their accessible from outside the motor, one from under the hood, and the other through the passenger side fender well with a 3 foot extension :P

seen two ohc 4.0s explode that way when the chain skips a tooth on the cam gear and pistons meat valves. one of them was my boss's out in the parking lot, after i told him for weeks he needed to have that fixed before the poo hit the fan.

otherwise my fathers old 93 pushrod 4.0 didn't care what filter it got, the lifters rattled constantly since the cam bearings wore out at around 100k and wouldn't pressurize the lifters anymore. still got 200+ out of it before we just swapped a lower millage powertrain in too go on a long trip.

still running MC filters here, my FL1s have never given me any trouble, nore did the 820, and they make a considerable difference in the startup knock on mine. tried the WIX once (and i love WIX dont get me wrong) and they made her clatter like crasy on startup for about 2 days till i swapped them back out for MC.

the orange drainback valve in the MC just looks like a much better quality piece then most other filters ive seen, including WIX. probably because ford has so much issue with the modular startup knock.

RUST!! eating away at me more than the rear fender wells
95 Deep Jewel Green 40th Anniversary Bird / Stock SOHC 170k FRPP PI intake swap, filter relocated! 97 Mk8 4R70W, Jmod, 3L27 / energy susp rear spindle, and cobra arm bushings, Tru-Cool Max/radiator cooler bypassed, 93 Mk8 shaft, and LCAs, 225/60r16 Michelin Defenders on Windstar twin 5spokes, Vogtland 1.6drop springs, Tokico Blues, PBR, and rear-disk swap, 89 SC swaybars
post #231 of 244 (permalink) Old 02-01-2015, 12:03 AM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderChecken View Post
Maybe, from what I understand purolater has been taking note of the complaints and has stepped up to the QC issue.
Good to hear! This will help Purolator's reputation. It seems a lot of guys stopped using them...

1996 Thunderbird LX (4.6), daily driver
1995 Mustang GT (5.0), alternate daily driver
post #232 of 244 (permalink) Old 02-01-2015, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Geek

Thanks for the info there Nail, It still runs like a champ
post #233 of 244 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Geek

Oil additives and Supplements

OAAS
post #234 of 244 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Geek

Bad Things Happen If You Don't Change Your Oil

A world apart .

Last edited by Boston-Bull; 02-11-2015 at 07:18 AM.
post #235 of 244 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Geek

Our new site

Just wanted to let you know we started a new website. Putting in my time building it up "Work in progress "

If you get a chance, come by for a visit.

Thanks.
post #236 of 244 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 06:17 AM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to steveg1988 Send a message via Skype™ to steveg1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by nall_one View Post
odd that a filter would make much difference to a 4.0 rattle since most of their problems were broken springs inside the chain tentioners.

suppose if the drain-back valve kept the tenstioners pumped up longer maybe, but it would be better too just change the tenstioners out and be done with it. their accessible from outside the motor, one from under the hood, and the other through the passenger side fender well with a 3 foot extension :P

seen two ohc 4.0s explode that way when the chain skips a tooth on the cam gear and pistons meat valves. one of them was my boss's out in the parking lot, after i told him for weeks he needed to have that fixed before the poo hit the fan.

otherwise my fathers old 93 pushrod 4.0 didn't care what filter it got, the lifters rattled constantly since the cam bearings wore out at around 100k and wouldn't pressurize the lifters anymore. still got 200+ out of it before we just swapped a lower millage powertrain in too go on a long trip.

still running MC filters here, my FL1s have never given me any trouble, nore did the 820, and they make a considerable difference in the startup knock on mine. tried the WIX once (and i love WIX dont get me wrong) and they made her clatter like crasy on startup for about 2 days till i swapped them back out for MC.

the orange drainback valve in the MC just looks like a much better quality piece then most other filters ive seen, including WIX. probably because ford has so much issue with the modular startup knock.
The orange valve means it is made of silicone versus rubber. The Purolator Pure One has one too, but ford specs the valve to be on the opposite end compared to other filters.
post #237 of 244 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 10:11 AM
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveg1988 View Post
The orange valve means it is made of silicone versus rubber. The Purolator Pure One has one too, but ford specs the valve to be on the opposite end compared to other filters.
I think you're thinking of the bypass. From what I've seen the purolator, wix and motorcraft ADBV are all at the threaded end and are silicone.

However, only the purolator and motorcraft have the bypass at the threaded end, whereas I believe the Wix has it on the dome end.

According to FoMoCo a thread end bypass is better than a dome end bypass, because, again according to FoMoCo, a dome end bypass could allow unfiltered oil into the engine during a bypass (think really cold starts).

Marketing gimmick? Maybe. I dunno, I'm running Wix in both of my Fords now after seeing all the torn motorcraft filter media. IMHO torn media for possibly an entire OCI is way way worse for an engine than a couple teaspoons of oil being unfiltered during a cold start.
post #238 of 244 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 12:12 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to steveg1988 Send a message via Skype™ to steveg1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96beaterbird View Post
I think you're thinking of the bypass. From what I've seen the purolator, wix and motorcraft ADBV are all at the threaded end and are silicone.

However, only the purolator and motorcraft have the bypass at the threaded end, whereas I believe the Wix has it on the dome end.

According to FoMoCo a thread end bypass is better than a dome end bypass, because, again according to FoMoCo, a dome end bypass could allow unfiltered oil into the engine during a bypass (think really cold starts).

Marketing gimmick? Maybe. I dunno, I'm running Wix in both of my Fords now after seeing all the torn motorcraft filter media. IMHO torn media for possibly an entire OCI is way way worse for an engine than a couple teaspoons of oil being unfiltered during a cold start.
I've had a friend take apart the FL400s and the Purolator version, the ADBV are at opposite ends. What ford says is that their design keeps more oil in the system or something like that.

What oil filter do i use: Motorcraft 820S, it is 3.97 at walmart and is a good bang for the buck

What oil do i use: Mobil super 5000 5W30, i am possibly going to start using synthetic in the 1996, after i determine if it burns any or not.
post #239 of 244 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 12:49 PM
Lightly Seasoned

Garage
I just changed my oil yesterday and used the Motorcraft FL 820s for the first time along with Motorcraft 5W-30 semi blend oil.
post #240 of 244 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Shumard View Post
I just changed my oil yesterday and used the Motorcraft FL 820s for the first time along with Motorcraft 5W-30 semi blend oil.

Good move on both mike . And also "Thank you" for the message friend.

SAE 5W-30 Premium Synthetic Blend Motor Oil
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.