Coggonobrien's 1994 Mark VIII - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to coggonobrien Send a message via MSN to coggonobrien Send a message via Yahoo to coggonobrien
Coggonobrien's 1994 Mark VIII

Well got a call from a former roommate about him wanting to get rid of his 1994 mark vIII. $400 later the car came home. has 151000 miles and lots of cancer. Seems to have a random front air bag leak. Cruise Control doesn't work either. Plan is to drive it through the winter when weather allows and then start parting it out for the tbird and anybody else that wants to buy some parts come warmer weather. Car is dirty but you get the idea.

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to coggonobrien Send a message via MSN to coggonobrien Send a message via Yahoo to coggonobrien
If anybody can point me in the right direction for troubleshooting the cruise that would be nice. I don't want to spend much money on the car though. First expensive failure and it gets parted out. Also besides the engine itself, anything else I should save for the engine swap? My car already has a griffen radiator, built trans, mark vIII converter. aftermarket drive shaft and 4.11 gears. I plan to keep the rear lower control arms (any bushing/bolt issues mounting to the tbird?) and the pumpkin.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 09:12 AM
2nd Gear Poster

Garage
good looking car.

1995 Thunderbird LX - 130,000 miles. Purchased for $350 from the bad side of town.
2015 Fiesta SE - 24000 miles. Purchased after my Trailblazer set itself ablaze...
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

thanks
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-25-2016, 12:01 PM
1st Gear Poster

Garage
Green Mark VIII

That's the first time i've even seen a Mark VIII that color, besides mine Mine has been sitting for 10 years after hitting a deer. I kept it for the motor and rebuilt trans so i can use them for another project.

With the leaking air bad, the air pump will often run extended amounts to keep it pumped. Anytime it hits 90 seconds it will turn off and trigger the air bag light. Lazy, i used to pull over, shut off and restart my car to get it back running. That lasted a month.

96 Saleen Cobra 55k
98 Mark VIII 91K
97 Mark VIII LSC 175k
94 Mark VIII 122k
84 Bronco 351 HO 115K
66 Mercury Monterey 390
49 Lincoln 2 dr
70 Mustang Mach 1 351C 4V Restored
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Well if you want to get yours running cheap let me know what you need for body parts. I plan to scrap everything but the motor and rear suspension
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 02:15 AM
1st Gear Poster

Garage
If you think the random leak in the front is one of the bags you can pop the solonoid out of the top of each bag and squirt some green slime in it. It's where the air line attaches to the bag, push down and turn and it should come out. Squirt the green stuff in the bag, put it back together and let it air back up. Take it for a ride and it should seal up. I did that to a Mark VII I bought cheap and it worked great.

Cars Owned
1989& 2 1990 Thunderbird SCs
1990 5.0 swapped Mercury Cougar
1990 5.0 Thunderbird 1995 4.6 Thunderbird
1987 Mark VII, 1989 Mark VII, 2 1990 Mark VIIs
1995 Mark VIII, And lots of Mustangs...Lol
Sold! 😥 1991 Lincoln Mark VII
Currently Own
1998 Lincoln Mark VIII, 2002 Lincoln LS, 1986 Mustang Coupe, 2001 Ford Crown Victoria, and wife's 2008 Jeep Cherokee Limited
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Wouldn't the slime mess with the solenoids? I'm leaning towards either a bad solenoid or some sort of control issue because it will hold parked for a couple days then I get in the car or start it and it let's the air out. Doesn't seem to like to fill back up until I actually move the car either
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 04:41 PM
1st Gear Poster

Garage
I've done this on 2 mark VIIs and on a mark VIII with no issues. Really only works on dry rotted bags, won't fix air line or solenoid issues. What you are describing sounds like a solenoid or a relay problem. Is it just the front you're having trouble with? First thing I would do is see if there's any error codes in it. I bet there is and they can point you in the right direction.

Cars Owned
1989& 2 1990 Thunderbird SCs
1990 5.0 swapped Mercury Cougar
1990 5.0 Thunderbird 1995 4.6 Thunderbird
1987 Mark VII, 1989 Mark VII, 2 1990 Mark VIIs
1995 Mark VIII, And lots of Mustangs...Lol
Sold! 😥 1991 Lincoln Mark VII
Currently Own
1998 Lincoln Mark VIII, 2002 Lincoln LS, 1986 Mustang Coupe, 2001 Ford Crown Victoria, and wife's 2008 Jeep Cherokee Limited
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

how do you pull air bag codes? Seems like the bags overinflate sometimes when driving as well. Are there replacement solenoids available?
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 08:47 AM
1st Gear Poster

Garage
There is a data link connector under the hood for the air suspension and you can use a hand held scanner. When you run the test and if the system has a fault the test test will stop at the fault. Here's some info on how to do the test and some other good stuff
http://www.markviii.org/htdocs/dc/dc...d=&page=#21524
As far as solenoids are concerned I think they're still available throug a place called America Air and when I used them a few years ago the guy on the phone knew what he was talking about and helped me a ton. Good luck with it man I hope this helps
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 02:09 AM
1st Gear Poster

Garage
When its time let me know.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by coggonobrien View Post
Well if you want to get yours running cheap let me know what you need for body parts. I plan to scrap everything but the motor and rear suspension
Iwould need a left fender, hood, bumper cover and headlight. Iam not sure its really worth fixing mhy car. Ireally just hung on to it since i had the trans done 4-5k miles b4 hitting the deer, and the trans cost more than i could get for the car even 19 years ago. I figured i'd use the engine and trans in my 70 Mustang convertible or 49 Lincoln.

Depending on what you want, i might just be interested in the car minus what you take (motor and rear suspension) but I'm in NJ and that adds to the cost. Just let me know and I can figure out if its worth it. I have two other 4.6 DOHC's for my other cars already and wouldn't mind having my 94 road worthy again.

96 Saleen Cobra 55k
98 Mark VIII 91K
97 Mark VIII LSC 175k
94 Mark VIII 122k
84 Bronco 351 HO 115K
66 Mercury Monterey 390
49 Lincoln 2 dr
70 Mustang Mach 1 351C 4V Restored
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Do you have access to a forklift or skidloader to move it? I planned to pull the rear subframe and possibly the k-member when the engine is yanked
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Well the mark is getting parted out due to transmission failure. Let me know if you guys want to buy anything.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.