help.....very very strange noise - TCCoA Forums

2Likes
  • 1 Post By S4gunn
  • 1 Post By 94badbird

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

help.....very very strange noise

Sorry had a time for the lack of punctuation I'm doing text to speech my car is making a very strange noise and it's coming from the interior it seems to be coming from behind the dash around behind the steering wheel it only does it when I get to 50 miles an hour and the faster I go the louder it seems to get it's not coming through the speakers as I have my ears by them what could this be and what should I check to try to make this go away it is horribly annoying It's a loud humming noise it sounds like it would be interference coming through the speakers like a bad wired system but it's definitely not coming from the speakers it's for sure coming from behind the dash
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Anybody? I have to travel 3 hours tomorrow and dont,cant listen to it the whole time...loli will do 45 the whole way,idc...
I tried unhooking battery for 2 hours,reset ecu with my scanner,cleaned and changed iac with 0 change , checked for vacuum leaks,checked underhood wiring..i have no clue where to start...please help,i know someone here has the answer this community as a collective could even tell you what size bolt on any spot on these cars..

I WANT TO TRADE a 75mm throttlebody and exremly ported vic plenum and a set of 24lb injectors FOR a pi intake and alternator bracket and hopefully valleytube and nipple, pm me!!!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 02:15 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
1) If you think it's from an electrical/speaker system, why would you mess with the IAC?
Consider pulling fuses to stuff like the radio, the interior lights, etc. No power, no ground issue.

2) Have you considered that the issue might be mechanical? Like from the driver side wheel/bearing area? See if the sound varies in volume by speed and with your window open/closed.

3) Fun fact: with google keyboard at least, if you pronounce Comma and period it often (but not always) will fill in the correct punctuation mark.
Google Voice Typing on Your Android Phone - dummies

Even if it doesn't do so, you can click on the word and the substitute will be the mark you want. The spacing might not be correct (it won't remove the leading space) but it will be easier for ther rest of us to read/parse.
Grog6 likes this.

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 05:40 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94badbird View Post
...Also,like my intake i made? Igot a muatang one and had to do a little work to makeitfit but there it is,steady breathing.and yes,the filter goes into the bumper and the end lip on the filter almost completly closes the hole i cut under where the airbox was.looks and sound very nice.
Maybe this sound at speed is this Custom intake?

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

I'm not Human enough to be human; but I'm trying to fit in, and I'm learning to fake it.

"Never said Hibbity..." - Brian Williams
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

no,it not coming from speakers. I had my wife drive and put my ear every where and it seems to be coming from the cluster area.
I 1st put in a new cd player harness and 2x checked all the wiring,thats all good.
The sound is for shur not mechanical. My guess, just a guess is the speedo some how. If i just cruise it starts at 50 if i wot it starts at like 60.i cant get it to do it at any lower speed or in park so i dont thonk it would be tach related.
I know intake sounds, all mine has is a nice whoose when i wot and a little wistle when i slowy step on it..
Like i said, the sound is exact of speakers picking up interferance. I even completly removed the cd player and harness and it still did it, thats eliminated for shur.
I also checked all the underhood wiring again, all good.
Car runs great though. I even checked all the fuses..buut that fuse pulling thing is a great idea,i will have to wait for decent weather to try that..its been snowing steady,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1227162338.jpg (1.51 MB, 16 views)

I WANT TO TRADE a 75mm throttlebody and exremly ported vic plenum and a set of 24lb injectors FOR a pi intake and alternator bracket and hopefully valleytube and nipple, pm me!!!

Last edited by 94badbird; 12-29-2016 at 07:19 PM.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 11:17 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
If you are convinced that it's in the gauge cluster (which I'm not BTW), did you know that each of the gauges are individually mounted inside the cluster?

You could, if so inclined:
* take off the gauge cluster surround
* take off the plastic shell covering the gauge cluster
* Remove each gauge one at a time to see which one is your culprit.
* Clean the contact prong as they are going in in case there's an issue there.

This way, you MIGHT find the offending gauge cluster item.
I don't recall 100% if you need the gauge cluster itself to start/run the car though (if not, just unplug all of it and see if your noise goes away instead of testing each gauge piecemeal).

At least on my tbird (with a 93 5.0 engine in a 95 chassis), I learned that i needed a signal going through an alternator fault light from the 93 gauge cluster -- which my 95 gauge cluster didn't have -- to tell the alternator to charge.

-g

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 01:30 AM
1st Gear Poster

Garage
Gauge cluster ..... Speedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4gunn View Post
If you are convinced that it's in the gauge cluster (which I'm not BTW), did you know that each of the gauges are individually mounted inside the cluster?

You could, if so inclined:
* take off the gauge cluster surround
* take off the plastic shell covering the gauge cluster
* Remove each gauge one at a time to see which one is your culprit.
* Clean the contact prong as they are going in in case there's an issue there.

This way, you MIGHT find the offending gauge cluster item.
I don't recall 100% if you need the gauge cluster itself to start/run the car though (if not, just unplug all of it and see if your noise goes away instead of testing each gauge piecemeal).

At least on my tbird (with a 93 5.0 engine in a 95 chassis), I learned that i needed a signal going through an alternator fault light from the 93 gauge cluster -- which my 95 gauge cluster didn't have -- to tell the alternator to charge.

-g
I think the most likely culprit would be the speedo. Rather than removing the cluster why not disconnect the speed sensoron the transmission. That should keep the speedo from registering anything.

To keep from getting a ticket without a speedo, download a free speedo app onto your phone. Uses gps and is very accurate.

96 Saleen Cobra 55k
98 Mark VIII 91K
97 Mark VIII LSC 175k
94 Mark VIII 122k
84 Bronco 351 HO 115K
66 Mercury Monterey 390
49 Lincoln 2 dr
70 Mustang Mach 1 351C 4V Restored
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1Motorsports View Post
I think the most likely culprit would be the speedo. Rather than removing the cluster why not disconnect the speed sensoron the transmission. That should keep the speedo from registering anything.

To keep from getting a ticket without a speedo, download a free speedo app onto your phone. Uses gps and is very accurate.
Thanks, yes i know...
Im going to pull the cluster fuse 1st and see if thr noise stops..i hope it is the speedo so i have an excuse to get an sc speedo,the wife doesnt like me dumping money in my cars since i always trade or sell them with in 2 years...
Im hoping to try a few things today since its finally not snowing, having an mn12 in the u.p is not ideal.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 12:00 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Thanks, yes i know...
Im going to pull the cluster fuse 1st and see if thr noise stops..i hope it is the speedo so i have an excuse to get an sc speedo,the wife doesnt like me dumping money in my cars since i always trade or sell them with in 2 years...
Im hoping to try a few things today since its finally not snowing, having an mn12 in the u.p is not ideal.
Personally, I think your wife may be right. If you live in a rust-prone, snow-prone area like the UP, and you will get rid of the car in 2 years anyway, I'd probably just buy odometer gears and fix the existing vs paying a premium for a SC speedometer. After all, (or any big RWD vehicle) is probably better suited as a fair weather car.

Odometer gears (once you confirm that's what's making the noise) are cheap. The whole assembly from a JY will be cheap, too. What won't be cheap(er) is if you decide you absolutely must have the 145MPH speedo and you end up buying one from someone on TCCOA (they go for a premium over a stock gauge).
ODO and mileage keeper stoped working
Odometer Gear Ford Dodge

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Its not bad with rust up here since they dont use salt or chemicals, just dirt and sand. Plus i dont drive my car in bad weather and have a garage..
I have a bunch of parts i will be listing when my posts reach the limit and im hoping to then get my speedo and a pi intake setup.
Steve Heckert likes this.

Last edited by 94badbird; 12-31-2016 at 11:42 PM.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Well, took the cluster fuse out and no change. Also the voltmeter still registers with the fuse pulled...
Could this be my alternator causing this issue, my voltage does drop kinda low when i use my power windows and it fluxuates with my blinker on.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

I have a video of the sound just figuring out how to upload it..
After my trip it has not been constant..
I also hooked up my amp and subs now to drown out the sound.
A few people now told me it could be the alternator causing feedback, do they do that? And would it come from the speakers then?
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 09:21 PM
1st Gear Poster

Garage
Quote:
I have a video of the sound just figuring out how to upload it..
After my trip it has not been constant..
I also hooked up my amp and subs now to drown out the sound.
A few people now told me it could be the alternator causing feedback, do they do that? And would it come from the speakers then?
Load the video to youtube and add a link in your post. Jist copy/paste the youtube link and the post will format the link so its clickable.

Alternators can make noise, but it would vary with rpm, not just with speed. Have you revved the engine while in park? If there is no noise it could rule out the alternator, but might still point to the vss that drives the speedo. By removing the cluster you didn't eliminate that the sensor could be generating the sound. If the souns ia heard in park, you rule out the drivetrain (trans,ds,rear,etc).

96 Saleen Cobra 55k
98 Mark VIII 91K
97 Mark VIII LSC 175k
94 Mark VIII 122k
84 Bronco 351 HO 115K
66 Mercury Monterey 390
49 Lincoln 2 dr
70 Mustang Mach 1 351C 4V Restored
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

It doesnt do it in park or nuetral no matter what rpm.
Its not any trans or eng sound its actually far from sounding mechaical..its a clearvandvloud buzzing. It has not been consistant either..it seems now to do it when it wants. Usually now at 60mph ish sometimes i can take it to 90s even with no noise..

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Any other ideas anyone? Im at a loss on what to check next.

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 09:23 PM
5th Gear Poster

Garage
Is your remote wire and the two CD player output wires ran on the same side of the car for your sub woofers? Iv heard that can cause feed back sounds.

P.i. intake,70mm tb, cai, Walbro 255 Pump, Intrax 2in lowering springs, KYB front/back, Taylor 8mm Wires, True Dual Exhaust No Cats 2.25in pipe alltheway back Mid mounted dual in / dual out Jones Powerflow muffler then ran out back to 16x3 chrome tips,mark8 Driveshaft, 1.25Rear sway bar, 4:10s, TrackLok, Rear Diff Cover Brace, Sc Wheels 235/60s, Jmodd, Air Bags in Springs,Rear strut Bar,17in Mirror Blk CobraRs, Sc L Brackets, rear torsional load brace, kmember-frame brace, weightloss program, pbr dual pistons drilled/slotted, recaro seats.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

no..all my wires are done correctly..
I have completly removed the deck,amps ,subs and even the harness but no effect..
The noise is forshur coming from behind the cluster. With the weather im not able to just fiddle in hopes of finding the issue,atleast not until a decent day.
Ice coated roads and below 0 temps make me not even wanna go outside, plus my cars 1st time seeing snow was because of me 3x this year. I want to keepcit at that.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Heres a quick video of the noise.
https://youtu.be/MhtPJkY9NX4

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 03:01 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

That's your alternator whine coming thru the stereo.

It's too high in frequency, and too electronic to be anything else.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

I'm not Human enough to be human; but I'm trying to fit in, and I'm learning to fake it.

"Never said Hibbity..." - Brian Williams
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

its not coming from speakers.
I had my wife dribmve and put my ear next to everyone, i alsohad all the amps and deck removed.
The sound is clearly ciming frim the dash and im 99% shur from behind the cluster. Thats why its so loud in the video,the sound comes from rite below the phone.
I know what interferance sounds like and my system is done correctly in top of it all.
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Problem solved . the sound was coming from where the door chime is. Itwas cause by either a loose wire on the alternator or a good cleaning of it with electrical cleaner fixed the problem .
Strange that feedback came from where it did and not through the interior speakers..
Thanks for all of input from you guys.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.