Strange noise from diff? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 07:10 AM Thread Starter

Strange noise from diff?

97 lx sport i have a strange noise coming from my diff sounds like road noise when accelerating or coasting but if you let out on the throttle it rattles similar to when you have something stuck inside your cat.......anyone have any ideas? Pinion bearing maybe??
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 10:51 AM
̇

Garage
I would start, by checking the fluid level..
It should be level with the fill plug, in other words you should be able to feel the fluid with your finger inside the fill hole..

Tell us more about your rear end..

Is it completely stock?

Has it ever been serviced?

Any fluid changes done recently?

Are there any obvious signs of seepage/leaks anywhere on the outside of the Differential Housing?

Your description of the noise your car is making back there, sounds a lot like a bad rear U-Joint..
Look at that as well, for any signs of wear..

Rayo..

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there."George Harrison
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 03:36 PM
5th Gear Poster

I think Rayo has some good advise to start with.

Otherwise:

You can put some oil in it and don't look behind you or under your car. Keep driving until it stops going.

1992 Tbird LX 5.0, 3.73 gears, 1995 Cobra intake, deleted air silencer, 2.5" mandrel bent dual exhaust, SCP shorty headers. Updated four-hole fuel injectors. SK shift kit in AOD. Vogtland 0.9" springs, Tokico and Bilstein shocks.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Fluid level was good completely stock rearend ujoints were replaced 5thousand ago no leaks that i can see but i can move the drive shaft up and down a good 1/4 inch or so
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 01:25 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

If it's moving at the flange, the pinion bearing is toast; if it's in the middle of a stock DS, the DS could be the problem.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

I'm not Human enough to be human; but I'm trying to fit in, and I'm learning to fake it.

"Never said Hibbity..." - Brian Williams
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 02:24 PM
PostWhore

Where do you live? If you see that you need it rebuilt, or replaced, I have a perfect 3.08 Traction Lock that I will let go Cheap. I am in Clarksville Tn.

-----1993 Bird 5.0------
393 stroker, Vortech YSi, on E85
Lentech Strip Terminator & 4,000+ RPM stall converter
Detroit Locker with 3.55 gears.
17x9 Cobra Rs with 255/45/17 BFG KWDS
295/45/17 MT DR on the rear

Click for Full Project

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.