97 Thunderbird 4.6L - Problem with A/C manifold lines - TCCoA Forums

1Likes
  • 1 Post By XR7-4.6

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

97 Thunderbird 4.6L - Problem with A/C manifold lines

I recently took my 97 Thunderbird to the shop because the A/C compressor was going bad. They installed a new compressor, but told me that the A/C manifold lines are bad and were leaking bad enough so that I won't be able to have any A/C. I was told that the part numbers are obsolete and there isn't anything they can do. Being this car is a daily driver and still in very good shape, I need to find a way to fix the A/C. Is there anywhere I can purchase these manifold lines, or is there a workaround? Thanks in advance!

97 Thunderbird 4.6

2.25 custom exhaust w/flowmasters, deleted cat, 3.73s, 1.25 drop w/Tockico blues.
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 11:26 AM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Are the lines leaking? Or are the connections to the lines, or the valves themselves? It could be as simple as replacing all the O-rings

-Matt
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 12:22 PM
PostWhore

Garage
I think the 1996 lines are still available, and you can retrofit them to the 97 I believe.

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 01:00 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
I think the 1996 lines are still available, and you can retrofit them to the 97 I believe.
Nope. high pressure lines use different connections at the condenser, 96(and prior) use push lock fittings, 97s are screw in.

97-98 Mark VIII should interchange, the routing over the shock tower is slightly different but not in a way that would interfere.
Woodman likes this.

-Matt
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Thanks for the reply, not sure about this, I'll have to ask the mechanic. He only told me that they were leaking and in bad shape.

97 Thunderbird 4.6

2.25 custom exhaust w/flowmasters, deleted cat, 3.73s, 1.25 drop w/Tockico blues.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.