2017 Ford Fusion Sport Leaking Oil - TCCoA Forums

2Likes
  • 1 Post By XR7-4.6
  • 1 Post By CDsDontBurn

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

2017 Ford Fusion Sport Leaking Oil

Wow....I really did like the new Fusion Sport but what has happened to Ford?
https://youtu.be/2AbtTgH5s88

Seriously, leaking at the engine and at the rear diff. What a nightmare! I hope it was just a sloppily put-together press car but man, that shouldn't happen on a new car. My Honda from 2008 doesn't drip a drop l, my TBird drips from the rear main seal a few drops a week (but that's common) but nowhere else.... What's happened with build quality?!?!
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 11:42 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
That's a feature not a bug, they leak and seep oil to keep a constant replenishing corrosion barrier on critical components
CDsDontBurn likes this.

-Matt
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 08:09 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikutoisahobo View Post
What's happened with build quality?!?!
Quality doesn't exist in this century.

And it's not just cars, it's EVERYTHING!

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 68k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 Crown Vic Police Interceptor - Brenda's car
Previous cars:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 03:56 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Nothing can be perfect 100% of the time..plus I think the more things get less hands on, quality drops.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Yeah, but I thought oil leaks and fluid leaks in general were now a thing of the past. My 2005 Saturn (86k miles) didn't leak and it wasn't even a question that came to the buyers mind, same with my dad's 2006 Sequoia (120k miles) and my 2008 Honda Fit (180k miles)

But seeing this is just disheartening...we were thinking of buying a CMax Hybrid or a Focus or something as another daily driver but wow...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 08:46 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
The higher tech they go e.g. complexity materials the further they venture from tried and true, which is mostly where cars were at by the 2000s. When all the blogs tout the greatness of modern cars, they are in reality touting the greatness of the current fleet, and a good chunk of the current fleet are older, by a decade, or decades in some cases. Now that mass produced *to a cost* turbochargers, AWD systems and whatnot are becoming commonplace in very regular cars, you're going to see more of the problems more associated with performance models of yesterday(like say the Thunderbird SC) in the general fleet. Lesson is, simple always means better if you demand reliabile quality. E.g. naturally asiprated two wheel drive.

-Matt
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 12:34 AM

^ this - which is why the last car I bought new was in 2005 and it was the lowest model they made (Toyota Sienna). No power doors, no fancy crap, just a V6 and some wheels. Many of my friends are having problems with all the bells and whistle crap. My 94 SC and 94 LX are in great shape. Sure I work on them but it's fun. I seriously wonder how people are going to keep their cars on the road when the plastic valve covers and intakes begin to age.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 01:11 AM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Plastic valve covers and intakes don't bug me. The valve covers only really encounter oil vapor windage, and really don't seem to fail, certainly not on the 4.6 2Vs at least(which were plastic from inception in 91), or any other 90s era Fords with them(vulcan, later 3.8s, duratecs)I can think of. Intakes aren't really a problem either at the heart of it and the lack of heat soak is a good benefit in addition to the weight saved, the problem is when the companies cheap out and flow hot coolant through them for one piece integration rather than a separate isolated crossover. GM LSx engines have had isolated plastic intakes forever, and the only things that break them are nitrous backfires, 96+ 4.6 2Vs on the other hand with their neatly integrated coolant crossover and thermostat housing? Yeah, Ford lost that lawsuit and deserved it. I am very uncomfortable of the concept of plastic oil pans for that reason, at best they save 7 or 8 lbs tops, and when it fails from years of having a pool of hot oil sitting in it the engine is simply going to grenade when it pops. I mean they couldn't have found a less critical part to get that weight out of? A Fusion platinum weighs 3913lbs for god's sake(it amazes me people still think MN12s are heavy), there has to be something!

-Matt
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 07:11 AM
4th Gear Poster

Garage
The guy in that video reviews several cars.... sure seems to bitch a lot though...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 12:11 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
Plastic valve covers and intakes don't bug me. The valve covers only really encounter oil vapor windage, and really don't seem to fail, certainly not on the 4.6 2Vs at least(which were plastic from inception in 91), or any other 90s era Fords with them(vulcan, later 3.8s, duratecs)I can think of. Intakes aren't really a problem either at the heart of it and the lack of heat soak is a good benefit in addition to the weight saved, the problem is when the companies cheap out and flow hot coolant through them for one piece integration rather than a separate isolated crossover. GM LSx engines have had isolated plastic intakes forever, and the only things that break them are nitrous backfires, 96+ 4.6 2Vs on the other hand with their neatly integrated coolant crossover and thermostat housing? Yeah, Ford lost that lawsuit and deserved it. I am very uncomfortable of the concept of plastic oil pans for that reason, at best they save 7 or 8 lbs tops, and when it fails from years of having a pool of hot oil sitting in it the engine is simply going to grenade when it pops. I mean they couldn't have found a less critical part to get that weight out of? A Fusion platinum weighs 3913lbs for god's sake(it amazes me people still think MN12s are heavy), there has to be something!
With the oil pan being on the bottom of the motor, and there being some likelihood of debris hitting it at some point (I did notice the big shield under the motor/transmission though) is the main reason I'd want the oil pan to be steel instead of plastic. The heat of the oil doesn't concern me so much, the plastic will allow it to cool quickly, and should be made of a material that can handle hot/cold cycles. I agree that the weight loss is inconsequential of a plastic pan vs a steel one, and I'm willing to bet that was the primary reason for it's inclusion.

I find it disturbing that the Fusion weighs nearly the same as my 2002 Crown Victoria did.

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 08:06 PM
PostWhore

The weight is from a butt load of safety features, options, sound deadening materials, the AWD system, etc
Woodman likes this.

'97 Bird, "Pearl": L/R 2.5in Magnaflow Hi-Flow CATs | PI Intake & PI Cams | Suspension Rebuild

'13 Taurus, "The Bull": 3.5L Goodness

'00 2dr v6 Accord, "Dirty Girl": Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | Greddy SP2 CAT-Back | Eibach ProKit springs | Eibach F/R Sway Bars | KYB-GR2 struts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.