power steering pressure hose - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

power steering pressure hose

I got a rebuilt rack a couple years ago. Now it looks like the pressure line is leaking.

Are there any warnings I need before replacing the hose?

1992 Tbird LX 5.0, 3.73 gears, 1995 Cobra intake, deleted air silencer, 2.5" mandrel bent dual exhaust, SCP shorty headers. Updated four-hole fuel injectors. SK shift kit in AOD. Vogtland 0.9" springs, Tokico and Bilstein shocks.
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 02:42 PM

It's a pain. I just did one on a coworkers. With the 4.6 at least you can view end of the hose near rack connection from the top 13/16th on female and 11/16th for hose end. There was a slot in the frame on his 97 cougar that I could get my wrench in between. Got decent swing flipping wrench around every time.

Be waaayyy easier if you have a way to lift the engine out of the way a few inches.

A second hand to hold the wrench on the top is helpful aswell, but you can wedge it decently.
Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 02:35 PM
̇

Garage
I don't doubt you have a leak somewhere..
I would however, ascertain exactly where you're leaking fluid from first before replacing the pressure hose as a whole..
It could be something as simple as just replacing a Teflon seal, which are easily obtainable/cheap..
I have my doubts the line itself has failed, unless it was damaged when the rack was changed out..

Rayo..

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there."George Harrison
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 05:33 PM
The Parts Guy

Don't be afraid to cut down a cheap wrench to make a "stubby" wrench for better accessibility.

Rod @ AzzKicker Cars
rodsv6cougar@cs.com
90 XR7-The Meth Addict-KB SC'd 5.0L DOHC Stroker
2004 Mustang GT-The Driver-Intake/Exhaust/3.73's
1995 F150 4x4-The Mud Toy-5.0L/4R70W/33's/Warn 8274 Winch
94 LX w/Splitport 3.8L from 2000 Mustang - SOLD
2 - 90 35th Anny Ed SC's
And a TON of parts cars!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Line is very wet near the uturn with the clamped fittings. It's still waiting for me to work on it and it's the best vehicle for my old dog to get into. Line is very dry above to pump. I did not look at the lower connection.

The mech's that put the rack in placed the line in the way of removing the oil filter and I had to redo their zip ties. The area was wet before this anyway.

So Rayo, how do you find the leak for certain? All I know to do is clean it up as best as possible and jack it up and turn the steering wheel a few times and look for oil. I expect I can replace the line just as fast. The old line was installed a couple months prior to the new rebuilt rack so the lower Teflon seal could be leaking.

I did the line a few years ago and I don't remember any great difficulty or injuries.

Oh yeah, did a recent oil change and the drain plugs for the 4.6 models seem to be sealing good. That's what pointed toward the power steering as the leak. Oil pan is good, haven't been able to see where the dip stick goes in but it is super wet on the power steering lines in front of the motor and just rear of the radiator.

1992 Tbird LX 5.0, 3.73 gears, 1995 Cobra intake, deleted air silencer, 2.5" mandrel bent dual exhaust, SCP shorty headers. Updated four-hole fuel injectors. SK shift kit in AOD. Vogtland 0.9" springs, Tokico and Bilstein shocks.

Last edited by gordonm1; 05-18-2017 at 11:47 AM. Reason: drain plugs
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 12:02 PM
̇

Garage
I would completely remove the pressure line, clean it, and inspect it for damage..
I would also remove the "L" shaped fitting at the rack that attaches to the pressure line..Inpect that for damage as well..
Then I would replace all of the Teflon seals on the fitting, and on the pressure line itself..

Rayo..

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there."George Harrison
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

I didn't know the 90 degree fitting was involved. I'm not prepared to do this until I have one of those with seals. That sucker could be the issue and running down to the low point on the hose.

This may require more access than my jack stands can provide.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.