TCCoA Forums banner

Catch can ideas

4K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Thunderstruck95 
#1 ·
Anyone running a catch can? Looking for some ideas and insight into adding one to the 96 4.6L. Clean mounting spots, vacuum/leak issues (like I need another spot for those...), cheap versus expensive, etc., ideas basically.

#2 ·
What is the particular reason? High miles? Too much oil in the intake manifold? I have always left the T-Birds stock.

Here is a link to good quality catch cans. I have two of them on the Toyota - one on the PCV side, and one on the breather side. They are sealed and drainable, and the factory system works like it should with the crankcase properly ventilated.
Oil Catch Can Tanks

Al

#3 ·
Oil catch cans are easy to make from hardware store bits if the oil bothers you that much.

Just go to the aisle with the air tools and buy an oil separator. Then, go to the plumbing fitting section and adapt the input/output into barbs that you can install inline between the PCV and the intake.
Find a nice mounting point in your engine bay.
Finally, use oil resistant rubber hose that won't collapse under pressure (not that there is much) -- like bulk fuel injector hose.
That's it.

I have one on my track car and after an entire weekend (15+ hrs with most time >3K RPM) i collect maybe a tablespoon.
Granted, the engine fairly newly rebuilt -- both the top and and bottom end (vs 100K+ mi).
I had this setup on my old honda accord w/ 200K mi that i used to commute 100mi/day and would see a tablespoon every 2 weeks.

Here's a DIY pic from an F150 engine bay. The heatsinks are entirely unnecessary

#4 ·
I run a separator rather than a catch can. I've used the cheap air compressor separators before, however they tend to get brittle and fail in my experience.

#5 ·
Never thought about a oil separator, interesting. That is why I asked for ideas.

I'm not overly concerned about it (hence why its not already done). It takes years before much accumulates within the plenum/intake manifold. I'm just anal sometimes.

Racecougar: That separator is nice but that engine bay made me jealous!

#6 ·
Thanks. BTW, both posters before me were referring to separators as well, not catch cans. Catch can = open to atmosphere & OCV. Separator = closed unit & CCV.

#7 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.