Question about Ford keys. - Page 2 - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 02:53 PM
4th Gear Poster

I way down in Branson Mo the Country music Show capital of the world. Yeah Yeah what ever just get out my way you damn tourist. LOL
post #32 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 12:56 PM
PostWhore

Is it normal for a '95 to have 3 keys? One opens the doors, one opens the trunk, and one starts the car. When I had a '93 I only had 2 keys but the door key also opened the trunk.

-Randy-
post #33 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 02:38 PM
Motorboatin' SOB
Headlight Cleaning Guru

Send a message via AIM to big mike
since we are on the subject, where can i get the black plastic piece that fits over the key "head"? i dropped my keys once and the plastic piece broke into like four pieces

2014 GT
1990 300ZX TT
post #34 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 06:09 PM
PostWhore

I installed a 2000 Taurus lock cylinder in my '95 Mustang. It used 8 or 9 cuts, I think. It took 2 cylinders to gather the necessary pins. They are numbered and I swapped them around until it worked with my factory door key.

It is best to keep the ignition cylinder matching the vin in case of total loss of keys. Like it was said there are 5 different cuts for the older models. You can try your factory key in each one 'til it works!
post #35 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 11:23 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcColl View Post
Just take the old key and the new key to the lock smith. He can cut one side for the door and one side for the ignition. My guy then cut a notch in the key so I can tell which side must be up to work.

Very simple.

Tony
I've never thought of this. I can get one key for my 2 cars this way.......

95 SC 5-speed The Toy in Storage now.
95 SC Auto Newest storage queen.
91 Festiva 1.3L baby 5 speed
03 Crown Vic Sport 4.6... driver
10 Flex Brick Twin Turbos
*Rodney*
post #36 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 08:30 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to 88TurboCoupeman01 Send a message via Yahoo to 88TurboCoupeman01
Ya u still need to get the key cut take to key and the lock to your local Ford dealer and go to the quick lane department and tell them what is going on and show them the key and lock and have your VIN number to so they can see if the lock is original cut pattren or if it is a dsifferant cut pattren. Try that.

1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe 5 speed manual
Mods. tinted windows, premium sound, red interior with red velor seats,Mild Cam, 30 degree valves, HP rolor rocker Arms, Light weight Aluminum radiator., Kenwood compotion CD player, with comption 6speakers.
1988 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe Dailey Driver
1997 Saturn SC2 Custom Yellow w/ EVO 5 Body Kit.
1987 Ford MUstang LX 4cyl my first car RIP
www.myspace.com/racenut97
http://cardomain.com/ride/3114339
post #37 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 11:55 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88TurboCoupeman01 View Post
Ya u still need to get the key cut take to key and the lock to your local Ford dealer and go to the quick lane department and tell them what is going on and show them the key and lock and have your VIN number to so they can see if the lock is original cut pattren or if it is a dsifferant cut pattren. Try that.

maybe 10 years ago, ford now no longer has keycodes for 98 and older, you need to see the parts dept, not the useless quicklane or service dept. vins are pretty much a waste of time as well

64 ford galaxie -FE powered beast!- sleeping giant
69 cougar standard- 347/c6 -efi restomod, heidts prog 4 link heavily modified front, custom strutrods boxed lowers rollerperches 620 lowering springs! meier shock tower brace
96 f150 supercab lifted beast! 351 powered beast
87 shasta roadmaster 29ft travel trailer- pimpdaddy camping!
mn12 less!
post #38 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 08:15 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to 88TurboCoupeman01 Send a message via Yahoo to 88TurboCoupeman01
JK69cat I have worked at a Ford Dealership the still use codes for to cut the key and the code if I am not mistaken its the VIN number.

Mods. tinted windows, premium sound, red interior with red velor seats,Mild Cam, 30 degree valves, HP rolor rocker Arms, Light weight Aluminum radiator., Kenwood compotion CD player, with comption 6speakers.
post #39 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 08:58 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88TurboCoupeman01 View Post
JK69cat I have worked at a Ford Dealership the still use codes for to cut the key and the code if I am not mistaken its the VIN number.
i am a assistant pm at a ford l&m dealer and i am telling you, 98+ thats it and even 98 is questionable, yes the vin is required butit does not matter for these old rats we play with

69 cougar standard- 347/c6 -efi restomod, heidts prog 4 link heavily modified front, custom strutrods boxed lowers rollerperches 620 lowering springs! meier shock tower brace
mn12 less!
post #40 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-05-2008, 04:50 PM
3rd Gear Poster

sorry haven't worked at the dealership in over 3 years sorry.

post #41 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-05-2008, 04:53 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Hey jk69cat do u know much bout the Thunderbird Turbo Coupes I just got one and am wanted to learn some stuff bout the car. Can u help me. Sorry bout that last post I not good with typing Its still new to me this forums thing sorry.

post #42 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 09:10 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

i dont know much about the turbo coupes

mn12 less!
post #43 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 08:57 PM
1st Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to BlckWingdBird95
I know this tread is a year out of date, I am a Locksmith, have been for almost 30 years, I just read most of this thread and wow, I cant belive how much incorrect information is being passed around about a simple thing as keys for a car.

Insomnia sounds serious, But I wouldn't loose any sleep over it.
post #44 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 09:24 PM
4th Gear Poster

So, will you be sharing your wisdom, or just pointing out how wrong everybody is without backing up your information?
post #45 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 08:52 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Still no one has corrected this thread?

You buy a new ignition lock insert from the dealer....it comes with two keys, which are cut only for the ignition lock portion. You take your new key and the old key and take it in to a COMPETENT lock smith, who will ONLY CUT the new uncut portion of the new keys to match the key for the old door locks.

If he does it properly, on both sides, you will have one key that works both ways.....and for both doors.....unless of course you have a green door on the passenger side.....and they are never good luck.....!

Did this with a 92 Vic. That's how it works!!!! Simple.

If you have codes, I have proper code books and cutters......but I don't want to get into the key biz! Detective work required to get codes!

fm

Last edited by fastmerc; 06-09-2015 at 09:50 AM.
post #46 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 08:16 AM
5th Gear Poster

Garage
Just to note. And this may longer be the case on the newer cars. You used to be able to take a Ford Key blank. Cut one side of the blank for one car. And then cut the other side of the blank for a different car. One key would work in either vehicle. I know this worked up until 1995 or so.

I live close to a mall so I'm on call 24/7 whenever a family member or friend locks their keys in the car or needs a jump. After a buddy that lives a half hour away locked their keys in the car for the third time I dragged him into Home Depot and handed the guy both of our keys and had him cut a pair of blanks with one car on either side. The next time he locked his keys in the car it only took me five minutes to run over and unlock the car vs a hour round trip. This also came in handy when he sold the car to a buddy and HE locked the keys in the car on a road trip a couple of hundred miles from home. I made the day when I chuckled and reached in my pocket and unlocked the car. Beats carrying a ring full of keys. Obviously this won't work with PATS keys on the later cars. And I'm not sure it works with the keys after 1995.

Something I'm going to revisit once I get my locks sorted out.

Now if they only made RKE transmitter fobs with a A/B switch.....
post #47 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 09:48 AM
2nd Gear Poster

Still the same!

CatMan,

Yes, you can still cut the two sides of the PATS keys to GET INTO two different late model cars. Most likely, only one car will start. BUT, you stand a great chance of being able to program your new two sided key to act as a spare for your buddies car.....so you can get in AND start it!

I took an old 10 position key, non-PATS and cut it for my 2001 Truck which is PATS. It won't start the truck, but if I get locked out, which has happened(!), I can still get back in.....and then I use my regular key once I find it...usually sittin on the seat!

You can buy blanks made of nylon also....or "credit card" keys of plastic that you can cut...and carry like a credit card. Won't start new PATS cars, but will start an old one!

I had cut my keys for years with two sides, to get into two different Merc's! Notched it to keep track.......

You CAN do this with trunk keys too!!! Two different cars on one key!!!

Not sure about the RKE keys...toooo newwww for me!

Cheers!
Steve
post #48 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 05:54 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

I've never seen a cheap lock design that read both sides of the key. Ford R cheap, lol.

Although, You Could actually program the same key into two pats systems... as long as it was a pats key.

Cut sides for both cars, then add it to the eec; On Both Cars.

There's a process...

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

I'm not Human enough to be human; but I'm trying to fit in, and I'm learning to fake it.

"Never said Hibbity..." - Brian Williams

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.