Northern Ohio area... - Page 2 - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 04:57 PM
5th Gear Poster

Garage
The blue Vettes the magic rabbit. I ran my best time against him. Albeit about 15 car lengths behind him

What shape are your toe compensators in? Might consider poly control arm bushings in the spring. Possibly spare set of rims with some tires to barbecue.

I think you'll find that the track is MUCH better when it's 70-80 and warm from the sun shining on it all day. It stays noticably warmer then the ground till past midnight. Several hours after the sun goes down. Big difference.

30 years ago (God has it really been that long) when racing stopped for the night we'd schlep a case of beer out to the track and sit there and soak up the heat like lizards. Cold beer, summer breeze and a little radiant heat. Nice.

In better weather you will launch better. Times will drop. I still think you will hit 13.8x or better just fiddling with the tune and driving style.

Been meaning to dig through my shoebox of old pictures soon. I assume your curious as to what a Single Overhead Cam 427 Side Oiler looks like when it's sitting in a 1974 Mercury Capri?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 06:35 PM
̇

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by theterminator93 View Post
They're Nitto NT555 255/50/17 on 9" rims. I've considered a wider rear tire but can't seem to find one that's sufficiently tall and not obnoxiously wide (plus I can't remember if you need to roll the fenders if the car's not lowered).
Just looking at the specs on your tires..They look like a good all around tire..Sure there are stickier tires, but those come with compromises..(Especially in the rain)

It would be nice if someone could loan you a set of slicks..Just to see how much of a better time you squeeze out of your car at the track..

When you buy your next set of tires..Consider looking for something that has a softer compound for better grip..Say 200-250 UTQG..

I'm tire shopping/browsing as we speak..

Rayo..

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there."George Harrison
post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 07:45 AM
5th Gear Poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayo View Post
Just looking at the specs on your tires..They look like a good all around tire..Sure there are stickier tires, but those come with compromises..(Especially in the rain)

It would be nice if someone could loan you a set of slicks..Just to see how much of a better time you squeeze out of your car at the track..

When you buy your next set of tires..Consider looking for something that has a softer compound for better grip..Say 200-250 UTQG..

I'm tire shopping/browsing as we speak..

Rayo..

Several things come to mind. Conventional wisdom says to turn off the traction control and indeed I've always run faster with it off. Given the amount of spin your getting you should at least make a pass or two with it on and see what happens. I doubt your experience is going to different than anyone else's but it's worth checking out.

Tire pressure.

Vary your launch RPM and even try nailing it from a dead stop with the converter unloaded. There may be a sweet spot between getting into the RPM band faster vs reducing wheel spin.

Your car might be a good candidate for a pair off dual fill rear AirLift bags. Increasing the preload on the rear wheels may help as may tuning it side to side.

I doubt any single things a magic bullet but used together may help reduce wheel spin.

I'd start cruising CL for a set of slicks. Keeping in mind once you get the car to launch without spin is when things generally start to break

Correct me if I'm wrong but you have Mustang pattern hubs? That would make finding a spare set of rims easier. We might also find a Mustang guy with a spare set borrow for a run or too. Hang out at the track long enough and we will undoubtably meet some Ford people.

Also somewhat sad to note that out of the 75-80 car field Friday the only two MN12s were Brandon and I. Should this become a regular thing next year it would be great to see some other cars show up.

Last edited by 97CatMan; 10-04-2015 at 07:52 AM.

post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Well... the rear suspension is in desperate need of a rebuild. I've got all the proper parts already accumulated except for the diff bushings, toe links, and lower inner LCA bushings. Hoping that comes this winter. Car needs tie rods too, and I wouldn't mind a rear diff rebuild...

When I was launching Friday I got the worst wheelspin when I launched with the converter loaded. Every launch after that I went from idle; the best launch I don't think I snapped the throttle but eased in over 1/4-1/3 second, even then it spun for the first 20-30' or so.

I think the big contributor was the cold track and tires.

I've got stock MN12 hubs, 4.25" bolt pattern.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 155k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
96 Ivory Mark VIII 230k, stock 4.6 32v on coils; New engine at 185k
Gone but not forgotten: 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 02:07 PM
5th Gear Poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by theterminator93 View Post
Well... the rear suspension is in desperate need of a rebuild. I've got all the proper parts already accumulated except for the diff bushings, toe links, and lower inner LCA bushings. Hoping that comes this winter. Car needs tie rods too, and I wouldn't mind a rear diff rebuild...

When I was launching Friday I got the worst wheelspin when I launched with the converter loaded. Every launch after that I went from idle; the best launch I don't think I snapped the throttle but eased in over 1/4-1/3 second, even then it spun for the first 20-30' or so.

I think the big contributor was the cold track and tires.

I've got stock MN12 hubs, 4.25" bolt pattern.
If all goes well I'll have all the rear end bushings by then too. My plan is to do all that with the Ford Racing Diff and M8 drive shaft install. Probably wait till spring. Being into overkill I do have a rather large K1 torpedo heater if you want to do them in Winter.

For some reason I was thinking you said those were FR Mustang Rims.

Rebuilt rear suspension, better track conditions, better tires will all help.
post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Finally got around to snapping a pic and uploading the time slip of my best run so far...

Lots of improvement to be had. That car "should" have 1.8x 60' times in it...

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 155k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant

Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 10:47 AM
5th Gear Poster

Garage
June 3rd / 4th super summit at Norwalk. I'm Deff going to try an go Friday the 3rd

P.i. intake,70mm tb, cai, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, Intrax 2in lowering springs, KYB front and back shocks n sturts,
Taylor 8mm Plug Wires, True Dual Exhaust No Cats 2.25in pipe alltheway back Mid mounted dual in / dual out Jones Powerflow muffler then ran out back to 16x3 chrome tips 93Mark8 Driveshaft, 1.25Rear sway bar, 4:10s, TrackLok, Rear Diff Cover Brace, Sc Wheels 235/60s, Jmodd, Air Bags in Springs,Rear strut Bar,17in Mirror Blk CobraRs, Sc L Brackets, rear torsional load brace, kmember-frame brace, weightloss program
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Hm, I might have to sit that one out. That's the weekend I was planning to go get my flight review. We'll see!

-Brandon

post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 07:35 AM
5th Gear Poster

Garage
Aw crap! Well let me know if things change

P.i. intake,70mm tb, cai, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, Intrax 2in lowering springs, KYB front and back shocks n sturts,
Taylor 8mm Plug Wires, True Dual Exhaust No Cats 2.25in pipe alltheway back Mid mounted dual in / dual out Jones Powerflow muffler then ran out back to 16x3 chrome tips 93Mark8 Driveshaft, 1.25Rear sway bar, 4:10s, TrackLok, Rear Diff Cover Brace, Sc Wheels 235/60s, Jmodd, Air Bags in Springs,Rear strut Bar,17in Mirror Blk CobraRs, Sc L Brackets, rear torsional load brace, kmember-frame brace, weightloss program

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.