Decision time - TCCoA Forums

142Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 286 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
Decision time

So I lost an oil line Thursday, put a regular 820S on in place of the remote, refilled oil, powered up, seemed ok, but 5 miles down the road the rod started knocking. Got it home, but it's not good.

So I'm looking for a replacement motor. Currently I'm running an NPI out of a crown vic (original motor was hydrolocked under Traveler's ownership) with a PI swap, PI cams, mildly ported heads, 80mm MAF, and a chip from Lonnie at BOC.

The way I see it, I can go a couple of different ways. Simplest would be get another NPI, swap my heads and top end over, and have essentially the same thing I started with. I'm hoping that the heads should be OK, but I'l get them checked out.

Plan B is I found a Mark VIII block for $300 a few hours away from me. I can either put it in as a 4v modify my wiring a little, get a Mark VIII throttle cable, and a rpm trigger for the IMRC's. Plan B part 2 would be to put the PI top end on the Mark VIII block, getting me a "recession buster" motor, but that would require relieving the pistons and a hotter cam.

Plan C would be an explorer motor. Miller, I'd buy yours, but you're too far from me brother.

So, what are thoughts? I'm really liking the idea of a Mark motor. Even if I leave it stock, it's more power than my PI swapped NPI, and the wiring isn't too bad for the switches right? Plus the weight loss is handy.
SILVRBRD and CDsDontBurn like this.

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.
post #2 of 286 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
Oh yeah, I forgot Plan X.

Big Bore Stroker from LMC, Summit, whatever with TFS 44cc heads for 11.5:1 compression, kooks, all the good stuff.

Let's check that lottery ticket, see if I can go ahead and buy it.

2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.
post #3 of 286 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 10:14 AM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Plan C would be the most expedient with little to no sacrifice or supporting modification, and you get the weight loss benefit.

Plan B1 is realistic as well in that it's a drop in proposition IF you snag as much as you can off the doner car - fuel lines, vacuum lines, cables then it's as simple as modding the wiring and getting a tune. The main issue will be exhaust depending on what your plans are there. Because Marks use an integrated cat/manifold on the driver side, if you have stock piping, you'd want the whole midpipe assembly, which from the midpoint back will mate to a factory Tbird exhaust, problem though junkyards tend to cut cats off before they hit the yard, which serves as a double whammy if you want to use the whole front section or just the manifolds/cats from it. Only other option at that point are Kooks and all of a sudden this is a $1,000+ engine.

Plan B2, while it sounds fun has a lot of holes, on top of needing cams, needing valve reliefs, you'll also need springs, and don't forget about the supporting stuff like new head gaskets/bolts, cam degreeing stuff, tune, ect. And power wise in the end you're going to be limited by the stock heads and intake, it'll just be a hot PI motor, and for the time and money it just isn't there. IMO that whole recession buster setup isn't much of one unless you work at a junkyard and get freebies, have all the right tools to do it all correctly, and have a machine shop and the ability to port heads at your disposal
Woodman likes this.

-Matt
post #4 of 286 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
Plan C would be the most expedient with little to no sacrifice or supporting modification, and you get the weight loss benefit.

Plan B1 is realistic as well in that it's a drop in proposition IF you snag as much as you can off the doner car - fuel lines, vacuum lines, cables then it's as simple as modding the wiring and getting a tune. The main issue will be exhaust depending on what your plans are there. Because Marks use an integrated cat/manifold on the driver side, if you have stock piping, you'd want the whole midpipe assembly, which from the midpoint back will mate to a factory Tbird exhaust, problem though junkyards tend to cut cats off before they hit the yard, which serves as a double whammy if you want to use the whole front section or just the manifolds/cats from it. Only other option at that point are Kooks and all of a sudden this is a $1,000+ engine.

Plan B2, while it sounds fun has a lot of holes, on top of needing cams, needing valve reliefs, you'll also need springs, and don't forget about the supporting stuff like new head gaskets/bolts, cam degreeing stuff, tune, ect. And power wise in the end you're going to be limited by the stock heads and intake, it'll just be a hot PI motor, and for the time and money it just isn't there. IMO that whole recession buster setup isn't much of one unless you work at a junkyard and get freebies, have all the right tools to do it all correctly, and have a machine shop and the ability to port heads at your disposal
Gotcha. And the Explorer motor will allow me to do other PI style mods too, right? I think that'll probably be the way I steer.

post #5 of 286 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
Local yard that is selling their entire inventory off has an 03 Mountaineer 4.6 (same as the Explorer) that'll drop in. $300 cash.

Going to see if I can't scratch that up pretty quick.

So to drop that in, since I have a PI top end, pretty much all my existing stuff will just plug in, I just have to swap front covers, accessories, pullies, and go ahead and put a new suite of sensors in (may as well while it's out, right?) then get a tune for a real PI motor right? Since my chip is for pi heads on an NPI, I'm guessing the timing won't quite be right.

May leave it out for awhile, get a few goodies for it while I'm at it. May as well while it's out, right? Some headers, things like that, and sell my PI top end to recoup some of the cost.

So here's a question.... Drop the K member or pull it out from the top. Tools wise I have a jack that goes about 11" high, I have access to a cherry picker, anything else I should do while it's out.

Since my AC doesn't work, what are the odds that the compressor on this one is serviceable, and is there a way to test it out of the car? Or just pony up for a new compressor along with the other stuff I need?

post #6 of 286 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
Reading Porkchop's explorer swap thread, couple of questions.

Why can't we use the Explorer/Mountaineer front cover? Hood clearance issue? If that's the case, I'll have to find a 94/95 Front cover as my 97 front cover won't seal in one area?

Since I already have a Mustang PI intake with all the coolant holes made, it'd be easier to swap it over right?

How do I tell what type of injectors do I have, color coded?

post #7 of 286 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 03:51 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
$300 for an explorer motor is a no-brainer. Yes, swap your Mustang PI intake in place of the explorer one. As far as your injectors go, yellow is 19#/hr, orange are 21#, light blue are 24#, red are 30#, dark blue wide body ones are 36#, dark blue skinny body ones are 39#, and green are 42#.

For the timing cover, I'm not 100% sure, but I think you could keep the explorer timing cover as long as you also keep the explorer water pump, belt tensioner, and belt routing.
Woodman and CDsDontBurn like this.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90SC 5-speed, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, soon to be transplanted into...
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-70 Torino GT Fastback project car. Needs EFI and a manual trans, but I'm not sure what motor to go with yet.
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #8 of 286 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeyL View Post
$300 for an explorer motor is a no-brainer. Yes, swap your Mustang PI intake in place of the explorer one. As far as your injectors go, yellow is 19#/hr, orange are 21#, light blue are 24#, red are 30#, dark blue wide body ones are 36#, dark blue skinny body ones are 39#, and green are 42#.

For the timing cover, I'm not 100% sure, but I think you could keep the explorer timing cover as long as you also keep the explorer water pump, belt tensioner, and belt routing.
I don't see any real issue with the explorer belt routing, it's just different than the Thunderbird. I think they have the AC compressor up top, but as long as it fits under the hood, shouldn't be a big deal right?

post #9 of 286 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
I don't see any real issue with the explorer belt routing, it's just different than the Thunderbird. I think they have the AC compressor up top, but as long as it fits under the hood, shouldn't be a big deal right?
I was googling it up, and according to what I've found, the compressor is still bottom passenger side. The only difference I've seen is there's an extra idler on the driver side.

post #10 of 286 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 04:30 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Yes, the compressor location is the same on all 4.6's.

-90SC 5-speed, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, soon to be transplanted into...
-70 Torino GT Fastback project car. Needs EFI and a manual trans, but I'm not sure what motor to go with yet.
post #11 of 286 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
So my next question...

I have a shock tower brace going over the engine. Passenger side is just a bolt, driver side appears to have the bolt welded to the brace.

Would it be simpler to cut that bolt off, take off the brace, and pull her from above using a hoist, or get the car way high in the air and remove the K-member?

post #12 of 286 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 04:42 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
I would just pull it out from the top. Dropping it out the bottom is feasible on a lift, but I don't think it saves any time, since you have to remove even more things. Plus if you don't have a lift, I don't think you'll be able to get the car high enough to get the engine out from underneath.
Woodman likes this.

post #13 of 286 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeyL View Post
I would just pull it out from the top. Dropping it out the bottom is feasible on a lift, but I don't think it saves any time, since you have to remove even more things. Plus if you don't have a lift, I don't think you'll be able to get the car high enough to get the engine out from underneath.
Thanks MadMikey. That'll be the plan. I'll pick up an engine hoist and an engine stand asap. I assume I can't pull the motor from the intake manifold due to it being plastic. I'll look around for how to hoist them out.

Any issues setting the new block on a pallet while I wait for the hoist and stand?

post #14 of 286 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 05:19 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
The explorer front cover will not work with the factory belt drive and power steering layout, that's why the swap entails a 94/5 front cover.

You can however use that layout if you want, and you may find it quite desirable since the oil filter is readily accessible. You'd just need to modify the lower coolant hose (add a coupler and a 90* section) and make a custom power steering line to reach the higher mounted pump. I'm doing that with my 4V swap with an Aviator cover(same belt drive as explorer)
Woodman likes this.

-Matt
post #15 of 286 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 05:20 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
No issue setting it on a pallet, just use a 4x4 under the front part of the pan so it will sit level. And no, you can't pull it from the intake manifold. Since the manifold has to come off anyway, I would suggest pulling it while the motor is still in the car, and use one of the alternator mount holes in the front, and one of the bolt-holes in the back of the head on the back.

post #16 of 286 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
The explorer front cover will not work with the factory belt drive and power steering layout, that's why the swap entails a 94/5 front cover.

You can however use that layout if you want, and you may find it quite desirable since the oil filter is readily accessible. You'd just need to modify the lower coolant hose (add a coupler and a 90* section) and make a custom power steering line to reach the higher mounted pump. I'm doing that with my 4V swap with an Aviator cover(same belt drive as explorer)
Thanks for the tip. Any special type of hose you are planning on using?

post #17 of 286 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 05:53 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
For the power steering, the same one I covered in the article Converting the high pressure power steering line to -AN, for the coolant hose I'm just going to find something at advance of the right diameter with a 90* angle, should be pretty easy to find.
Woodman likes this.

-Matt
post #18 of 286 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 06:44 PM

Woodman, another thing you can do is try looking for an 02 mountaineer 4.6 they came with an aluminum block... just putting it out there in case you didn't already know.
post #19 of 286 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crzy4nos View Post
Woodman, another thing you can do is try looking for an 02 mountaineer 4.6 they came with an aluminum block... just putting it out there in case you didn't already know.
Thank you, the one I'm looking at buying right now is an 03 Mountaineer block. It's $300, I may have said Explorer above but yeah, they're both the same.
CDsDontBurn likes this.

post #20 of 286 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 11:12 PM
5th Gear Poster

Garage
For the love of god put the Kooks on while the engine is out.

This may help.

Last edited by ogbird95; 05-08-2016 at 11:27 PM.
post #21 of 286 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogbird95 View Post
For the love of god put the Kooks on while the engine is out.

This may help.

As much as I hate being without my bird, buying Kooks is on the plan. For the money, I may go with the MAC longtubes like in the thread here, and have one of the primaries modified to clear the steering shaft. They're a lot less expensive, but the Kooks would be so much nicer.

post #22 of 286 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
So here's a question regarding the headers...

Do I install them while the engine is out, and lower it in with them attached, or do I install them while the engine is halfway in/out of the bay?

I'm guessing I should invest in some stage 8 locking fasteners and SCP's super soft exhaust gaskets?

post #23 of 286 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 06:55 PM
The Parts Guy

I've always installed them as the engine is going into the bay. It's a very tight fit from the top. I'd recommend the Ford exhaust gaskets at the head.

Woodman likes this.

Rod @ AzzKicker Cars
rodsv6cougar@cs.com
90 XR7-The Meth Addict-KB SC'd 5.0L DOHC Stroker
2004 Mustang GT-The Driver-Intake/Exhaust/3.73's
1995 F150 4x4-The Mud Toy-5.0L/4R70W/33's/Warn 8274 Winch
94 LX w/Splitport 3.8L from 2000 Mustang - SOLD
2 - 90 35th Anny Ed SC's
And a TON of parts cars!
post #24 of 286 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 07:28 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
It'll be virtually impossible to do headers after the fact unless you were to anchor the engine from the top and drop the K member, which is an unnecessary step if the engine is already out.
Woodman likes this.

-Matt
post #25 of 286 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 07:58 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Well if long-tube headers are in the cards, that argues for dropping the subframe with the engine out the bottom, as long as you can get the body high enough to clear it. That way you can bolt the headers to the engine out of the car, and then lower the car on top of it without trying to fight everything.
Woodman likes this.

post #26 of 286 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 09:15 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to miller1995
FYI - The newer front covers do not have the provisions for coil packs.

You can use your stock front cover but one bolt hole does not line up.

-Miller
Woodman likes this.

Pearl 97 LX Sport - Purchased Feb. 09 - 5x4.5 Bolt patern, Cobra Brakes, Voghtland spings, Silver FR500's, 3.73's, MMX drive shaft...more to come
Denim Blue 97 Cougar Sport - Purchased Nov. 14 - 22k miles and now the daily driver, staying stock
Purple 95LX Supercharged 4.6PI Parting Out
Black '11 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6-speed - Fun but efficient
SOLDWhite '03 Crown Vic P71
Pearl 96 Lx - Parted and gone, some parts still available
SOLD2006 Mazdaspeed6
SOLD1998 Escort ZX2
RIPBlue 97 LX - MANY PARTS STILL AVAILABLE
RIP My Black 95 LX 4.6
post #27 of 286 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by miller1995 View Post
FYI - The newer front covers do not have the provisions for coil packs.

You can use your stock front cover but one bolt hole does not line up.

-Miller
Do I need to fill it with RTV or something?

I'd buy your motor, you're just too far from me.

post #28 of 286 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 02:30 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to miller1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
Do I need to fill it with RTV or something?

I'd buy your motor, you're just too far from me.
You can use RTV, that's how the motor I've got on the stand is currently. I do plan on swapping to a 94/95 front cover, though.
Woodman likes this.

Pearl 97 LX Sport - Purchased Feb. 09 - 5x4.5 Bolt patern, Cobra Brakes, Voghtland spings, Silver FR500's, 3.73's, MMX drive shaft...more to come
Denim Blue 97 Cougar Sport - Purchased Nov. 14 - 22k miles and now the daily driver, staying stock
Purple 95LX Supercharged 4.6PI Parting Out
Black '11 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6-speed - Fun but efficient
SOLDWhite '03 Crown Vic P71
Pearl 96 Lx - Parted and gone, some parts still available
SOLD2006 Mazdaspeed6
SOLD1998 Escort ZX2
RIPBlue 97 LX - MANY PARTS STILL AVAILABLE
RIP My Black 95 LX 4.6
post #29 of 286 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by miller1995 View Post
You can use RTV, that's how the motor I've got on the stand is currently. I do plan on swapping to a 94/95 front cover, though.
Thanks!

post #30 of 286 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
Potentially dumb question...

Since the 2003 Mountaineer motor has Coil on Plug, will that make going Coil on Plug any easier? Could it be as simple as just rewiring the plug into the ECU?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.