post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 01:17 AM
4th Gear Poster

What are the IATs that you have?
post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikutoisahobo View Post
The inlet air temps? I'll check the next time I get the engine up to temperature. For right now it was 89°, but the car was warming up with a 192° water temp.

I got 2 new codes today, P0171 and p0174. Lean on both banks. Maybe my fuel pump is weak? It does make a weird sound sometimes, but the car has good power at high rpms where the fuel demand is higher. I don't know. I can try to drive around with a mechanical fuel pressure gauge attached to the fuel rail. Maybe it will show the pressure is low.
post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikutoisahobo View Post
With a fully warmed engine driving down the road the IAT is 75°F, which is just above ambiant.
post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 08:34 AM
5th Gear Poster

The bucking sounded like an ignition miss or lean condition. It seems it only recently is giving you lean codes from your exhaust sensors though. Fuel filter could be plugging up. I don't know if driving around with a fuel pressure gauge hooked up will tell if it's a pump or the filter. You had the idea first.

I don't see where you have adjusted the TPS. It works with the IAC and I assume its closely involved with timing advance under partial throttle where you are bucking. With a multi-meter its free to check and adjust to correct voltage. There's good threads around here explaining how to do it.

I'd also verify your throttle body is closing the butterfly completely and is clean and moves freely.

1992 Tbird LX 5.0, 3.73 gears, 1995 Cobra intake, deleted air silencer, 2.5" mandrel bent dual exhaust, SCP shorty headers. Updated four-hole fuel injectors. SK shift kit in AOD. Vogtland 0.9" springs, Tokico and Bilstein shocks.
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

I just tested the fuel pressure and it's only reading 22 psi. When I hear the pump make its little whir sound every now and then the pressure jumps to 25 psi.

That's way too low, I'm sure. Is there a best place to get a new fuel pump?

The fuel filter is new from a few months ago.
post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 03:10 PM
4th Gear Poster

Rockauto sells pumps and full assemblies. You can take the chance to upgrade to a Walbro as well (high flow fuel sells them in a kit)
post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 05:01 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

I found a complete Delphi pump assembly in stock at a nearby Autozone for $97.

I just got it installed yesterday. That seems to have cured all my new issues that appeared in the last 3 or 4 months. Timing is smooth and steady, like it should be. It's even cranking much quicker.

I guess its been going out slowly and acting weird, varying the output pressure.

Now I'm back to my original, small issues that I started this thread about.
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 05:05 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonm1 View Post
I don't see where you have adjusted the TPS. It works with the IAC and I assume its closely involved with timing advance under partial throttle where you are bucking. With a multi-meter its free to check and adjust to correct voltage. There's good threads around here explaining how to do it.

I'd also verify your throttle body is closing the butterfly completely and is clean and moves freely.
I haven't done these things. Does it help in any way?
post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 10:57 AM
5th Gear Poster

I don't completely understand what the TPS does so I won't confuse you with bs. There is a specified voltage to check for and you check it with a multimeter and needle type probes that go into the electrical connections. This is on my 5.0 but I think I've read the 4.6 guys have a tps too. Mine was right next to the IAC.

You rotate the tps a bit to get the correct voltage. My aftermarket throttle body allowed more adjustment and it was necessary to adjust it for the new throttle body.

1992 Tbird LX 5.0, 3.73 gears, 1995 Cobra intake, deleted air silencer, 2.5" mandrel bent dual exhaust, SCP shorty headers. Updated four-hole fuel injectors. SK shift kit in AOD. Vogtland 0.9" springs, Tokico and Bilstein shocks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.