Starting my 4.6 2v supercharged rebuild - TCCoA Forums

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Wile E. Coyote Jr.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Starting my 4.6 2v supercharged rebuild

Hello everyone! Looking for main and rod bearing suggestions and head gasket suggestions. Already have good forged internals Cobra crank and a good set of heads. My first 4.6 I've rebuilt and want it to last! What's everyone using? Was thinking of using a teksid block as well. Thanks in advance
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 05:42 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Garage
Fel-pro MLS gaskets are a good bet when it comes to head gaskets.
For my engine build I am using sealed power main bearings and clevite rod bearings. Teksids are great (its what I am building, but its staying DOHC), and you can get them cheap from a mark. And from my understanding they, matched with PI heads, will increase compression more than PI heads to an NPI iron block. Good for a nitrous build

Lurking
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 05:57 PM
5th Gear Poster

Garage
Which type of supercharger are you going with?
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

It has a vortech on it.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 07:34 AM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote Jr. View Post
Fel-pro MLS gaskets are a good bet when it comes to head gaskets.
For my engine build I am using sealed power main bearings and clevite rod bearings. Teksids are great (its what I am building, but its staying DOHC), and you can get them cheap from a mark. And from my understanding they, matched with PI heads, will increase compression more than PI heads to an NPI iron block. Good for a nitrous build
Yes, NPI had less dish tan PI pistons, and 4V had even less dish than NPI. I think PI heads on a 4V shortblock gets you in the ballpark of 11.3:1 compression. You don't want to do that with a Supercharger though unless you're running very high octane or E-85, and you still wouldn't want much boost due to the higher compression. PTV clearance is an issue on PI swapped 4V shortblocks, and you will need to notch the pistons for the valves. Trickflow heads may resolve that due to how their valves are positioned, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

For a supercharged motor, I'd go lower compression personally. Since the blower compresses the fuel/air mixture already, you don't need high static compression to make more power.

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 12:49 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
Yes, NPI had less dish tan PI pistons, and 4V had even less dish than NPI. I think PI heads on a 4V shortblock gets you in the ballpark of 11.3:1 compression. You don't want to do that with a Supercharger though unless you're running very high octane or E-85, and you still wouldn't want much boost due to the higher compression. PTV clearance is an issue on PI swapped 4V shortblocks, and you will need to notch the pistons for the valves. Trickflow heads may resolve that due to how their valves are positioned, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

For a supercharged motor, I'd go lower compression personally. Since the blower compresses the fuel/air mixture already, you don't need high static compression to make more power.
I know lower compression is better/safer for FI, I was saying that PI heads on a teksid would be good for a nitrous build. I didnt know that you would to notch the pistons but it makes sense.
Woodman likes this.

Lurking
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Thanks for the input. I'm running SVO heads Cobra crank Manley rods vernolia Pistons. Was just planning on using the teskid block with these inners I have out of the original block that has super low miles on it. I'm looking for recommendations on main and rod bearings piston rings and head gaskets. it's my first 4.6 rebuild and I want to do it right and use the good stuff
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 09:23 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceholmes97 View Post
Thanks for the input. I'm running SVO heads Cobra crank Manley rods vernolia Pistons. Was just planning on using the teskid block with these inners I have out of the original block that has super low miles on it. I'm looking for recommendations on main and rod bearings piston rings and head gaskets. it's my first 4.6 rebuild and I want to do it right and use the good stuff
No kidding. Svo heads are hard to come by from what I have heard, and expensive. What intake are you running? Whats the power goal?

Lurking
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

SVO intake as well which is pretty much a bullet intake from my understandings. I bought the car off a member a few years back. I can't remember what it dynoed paper work is in a box since I moved recently. It was close to 6 I wanna say
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Hoping you guys can help recommend bearings which piston rings do you use head gasket excetera so this thing will last LOL
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 05:06 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Garage
Quote:
Hoping you guys can help recommend bearings which piston rings do you use head gasket excetera so this thing will last LOL
Does Venolia makes rings to go with the pistons you have? If not I would go with this set: TOTAL SEAL AP STEEL Piston Ring set for Ford Modular Engine 4.6 [400296] - $269.99 : Modular Motorsports, Home of the Worlds Fastest Modular Engines

With everything you said this engine already has you should be safe all the way up to 1,000-1,100. Are you gonna run e85?

Lurking
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Thank you sir! I'm not sure if they do or not. I'm guessing this car was built in 2002 or so super low miles on car and engine build. I've heard good about these rings and am pretty sure I used them on a 306 build for a friend's Fox body. I've been thinking of E85 but haven't don't much research on as to what I'd have to change over to make it E85. I'm not to familiar with it I have friends that have went that route. I'm not opposed to doing it especially for the power gains! I really appreciate your input
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 03:57 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Garage
Quote:
I've been thinking of E85 but haven't don't much research on as to what I'd have to change over to make it E85.
From my understanding youll need to change basically your entire fuel system, from the pump to the lines to the injectors. And once you switch over you will have atrocious fuel economy. On the plus side, its much safer for the engine and it makes alot more power (I have HEARD of even 100 hp gains just from the switch, but dont quote me because I myself havent experimented with the stuff... yet).

Lurking
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 08:47 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Thank you sir! I'm not sure if they do or not. I'm guessing this car was built in 2002 or so super low miles on car and engine build. I've heard good about these rings and am pretty sure I used them on a 306 build for a friend's Fox body. I've been thinking of E85 but haven't don't much research on as to what I'd have to change over to make it E85. I'm not to familiar with it I have friends that have went that route. I'm not opposed to doing it especially for the power gains! I really appreciate your input
You wouldn't need to change the lines. The only things you'd need to change to switch to E85 would be the fuel pump, the fuel pressure regulator and the injectors. You'll also need to re-tune the car to run on E85.

I've got a dual tune set up on mine where I can switch between E10 (93 octane Premium pump gas) and E85.

Gas mileage won't drop that dramatically. You'll see may be 20% less MPG than with gas. Considering that pump gas is E10 and can be as high as E15 anyway you won't see a huge decrease in mileage.

Also keep in mind that per ASTM Specification D 5798, E85 can be as low as E70 and still be called E85.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto.

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 02-16-2017 at 09:07 PM.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 02:36 PM
Veteran Poster

I've had good luck with Cometic MLS head gaskets.

MikeB
1997 Thunderbird Sport
5.0L-2V NPI S/C
375 RWHP / 416 RWTQ
11.959 @ 117.17 MPH

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.